Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2012, 07:04 PM   #1

Default Nissan NV2500 conversions, anyone?

We are looking at doing a DIY conversion to a camper/adventure van with this new vehicle -- the high-roof model. We want to carry four bikes (2 road, 2 mountain) and a take-apart kayak inside, build a platform bed above the bikes, and have a small kitchenette area. Has anyone on the forum heard of anyone doing a conversion on this van yet? We were looking at MB Sprinters, but initial and maintenance costs kinda scared us off.

Emily
TarheelBornGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:05 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Nissan NV2500 conversions, anyone?

Have you seen the Nissan NV 2500 high roof versions by Sportsmobile?

http://www.sportsmobile.com/7_nsn_vaninfo.html

It might be worth looking into their pricing.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg high roof nissan.jpg (9.9 KB, 5423 views)
File Type: jpg NFP-RB50N.jpg (16.7 KB, 5423 views)
File Type: jpg NFP-RB30N.jpg (15.9 KB, 5423 views)
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:20 AM   #3
Platinum Member

DIY Nissan NV 2500: http://wayfarernaut.blogspot.ca/2012/04 ... ndall.html

More on his Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nissan-N ... 4276362671
Old 09-21-2012, 01:27 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Interior height looks good:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg nissan high roof headroom.jpg (51.8 KB, 5415 views)
Old 09-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #5
Platinum Member

More livable space in a standard van. I think these would make more sense as a class C. For the price of a new Nissan.I bet you could find a great low milage fully loaded B ready to go. If you just want to do a project and your wife doesn't mind then go for it. I have seen really splendid B's at that price including Sprinters. 22 Mpg i nothing to sneeze at. Why not use a trailer for toys?
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:12 PM   #6

markopolo, thanks so much for the link to Greg's blog. I had tried to google for others who might using the NV2500 as a travel/camping van but had not had much luck since it's so new. Very helpful information there!

The new Sportsmobile NV conversions are nice, but after seeing their upcharge for Sprinter conversions (their site is how I first discovered "adventure van" type conversions), I'm sure they're not cheap. And unavailable except at western Nissan dealerships. They also offer very limited options with very few customizations on their NV conversions (unlike their Sprinter conversions which are very customizable) -- just wouldn't work for what we want to do. Like Greg, we want to do it "our way" and make it very custom to fit our needs.

I've looked at a lot of Class B and small Class C motorhomes online and just haven't found anything that fits the bill except very pricey Sportsmobile or Outdoor Van Sprinter conversions (over $100K finished). Since we know we'll never get out what we put into it, we don't want to spend nearly that much.

The reason we hope to carry our "toys" inside rather than in a trailer is to avoid becoming a bigger/longer vehicle, keeping it easier to park, find sites we can easily fit into, and travel about. In addition to state parks and national forests, we plan to visit towns and cities and rent the occasional cottage for a month or so in our travels, so being able to easily fit into driveways and parking spaces is a must. And my husband is super handy, great with all things electrical, and has already worked with similar 12v systems in our (former) sailboat, so it will be a fun and challenging project for him!
TarheelBornGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:33 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I was just looking at the Nissan Website - not about the RT deal, but their vans in general. I think they might have a hit on their hands. Ron
Old 09-21-2012, 08:34 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I am sorry. How couls I my tarhealborn gal in your online identity. Sounds like you and your husband are up to the task. Check out cheaprvliving on the web for a few ideas.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote