Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2017, 01:39 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default No Roadtrek name badging?

I was just killing some time looking at various B's on ebay and noticed that the new Roadtreks don't say Roadtrek on them, for the most part. They still carry the website and phone # in tiny writing on the rear door on some of them, but other than that, the only Roadtrek references were the license plate frame on some Sprinters that said Roadtrek. Inside, it looked like only the carbon graphite designed control panels said Roadtrek.

Maybe they are all graphics delete, but I also looked at local dealer site and it looked the same thing going on.

It may be that the Roadtrek name is being phased out and they will no name for a while before Hymer goes on them?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 02:34 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I bought my 170 before there was any discussion of Hymer and I had only stipulated that I didn't want any stripes... just a stealthy silver van, so I was surprised that nowhere on anything does it say Roadtrek... except the signature 3 windows on the front.

So I think it started because of many people like me who wanted stealth.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 11:12 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Around 2011, I think they they had a stripe, "RoadTrek" and the model name on the sides. Then, if I recall, RoadTrek later offered a No Badges option. If you didn't get that option they had "RoadTrek" using a block font on the side rear of the vehicle. Now they just have the model name using a script font, without saying RoadTrek. As mumkin said, it's not new. It has more to do with people wanting to look stealth, rather than anything to do with Hymer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011.jpg (62.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Block.jpg (30.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Roadtrek-e_trek-decal_lrg.jpg (81.6 KB, 12 views)
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 03:07 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Back in the day GWV wanted to promote wealth not stealth methinks...

I call it the Elvis Humperdink Edition
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6 GWV.jpg (185.8 KB, 10 views)
Marley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:25 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Mine has no lettering... not even the model. There is a small dealer decal that they put on the rear door.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 01-18-2017, 03:03 AM   #6
Silver Member

Hymer all the way. These corporations aren't about holding on to another's brand. They are looking for their European Brand, to have punch into the North American Market. They only bought RoadTrek to jump in the pool with a splash that people would notice.
talktodean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:14 PM   #7
Platinum Member

It could be that most people and dealers were selecting that option, so they just made it standard. Could be that Hymer wants to transition the brand, so they made it standard.

It will be telling if "Hymer" starts appearing on those models over the next few years.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:25 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
It could be that most people and dealers were selecting that option, so they just made it standard. Could be that Hymer wants to transition the brand, so they made it standard.

It will be telling if "Hymer" starts appearing on those models over the next few years.
I think that is the point of the first post, and it may be that there is that much desire for the no graphic model. It certainly is a departure from past models like our 2007 Chevy, that had the Roadtrek name, logos, website, phone number, etc plastered all over it.

What may be telling is if the new Hymer models come out saying Hymer on them, or not.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:44 PM   #9
BBQ
Platinum Member

if you look at the Pleasureway Class C,

you will notice they have done stealth as well.

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 02:01 AM   #10
Platinum Member

I prefer the stealth look too.
Removed the "RoadTrek" letting from ours & in process of peeling the swooping decals from the sides. Do that with warm Arizona sun.
But then it resembles the white whale. Maybe I'll put some Motor Cycle racing decals on it.
AZ ADVenturist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 03:06 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ ADVenturist View Post
I prefer the stealth look too.
Removed the "RoadTrek" letting from ours & in process of peeling the swooping decals from the sides. Do that with warm Arizona sun.
But then it resembles the white whale. Maybe I'll put some Motor Cycle racing decals on it.
IMO, trying to make a B a stealth vehicle by just removing decals is a waste of time. You won't fool anybody. If you want stealth, you should also plaster some magnetic signs on the coach saying JAKE'S PLUMBING & HEATING or something to that effect.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 04:58 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
IMO, trying to make a B a stealth vehicle by just removing decals is a waste of time. You won't fool anybody. If you want stealth, you should also plaster some magnetic signs on the coach saying JAKE'S PLUMBING & HEATING or something to that effect.
The Sprinter Adventure Van blog had a good post yesterday about the difficulties of overnight camping in cities. They made a good point about giving yourself away with out of state license plates. Probably the only way around that is some kind of expediter/shipment/national chain sounding badging.

If you haven't seen their blog yet, they've done and excellent job converting their van and documenting the process.
B Eventually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 06:30 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transit View Post
The Sprinter Adventure Van blog had a good post yesterday about the difficulties of overnight camping in cities. They made a good point about giving yourself away with out of state license plates. Probably the only way around that is some kind of expediter/shipment/national chain sounding badging.

If you haven't seen their blog yet, they've done and excellent job converting their van and documenting the process.
If nothing else rats you out, the awning will.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:44 AM   #14
Platinum Member

No awning and that was deliberate.

I was already asked once by a next site camper if I was CIA or something. I've been thinking about getting some 1" high white decals that simply say Homeland and put one on each cab door. That might be the best deterrent of all.

Parked and boondocking on a New York City Queens neighborhood street right off busy and commercial Jamaica Avenue for three nights. The man was wondering why I was taking a photo.

I park here and sleep in La Crosse, Wisconsin at least a half dozen nights per year at my son's house.

2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:22 PM   #15
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
No awning and that was deliberate.

I was already asked once by a next site camper if I was CIA or something. I've been thinking about getting some 1" high white decals that simply say Homeland and put one on each cab door. That might be the best deterrent of all.
::

::

I like the look.

Maybe I would add a satellite dome to make it even more mysterious.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:30 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
I agree with that! Guess that's what I had in mind w/ motorcycle racing graphics. We attend a lot of off road races &usually dry camp at track area or off hiway in the desert. I could also have a "wrap" done with our son's construction co. Name & maybe even a lumber rack on the roof w/ ladder on the side. Now we're just getting silly!
AZ ADVenturist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 04:19 PM   #17
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
"stealth" is a misnomer.

Not trying to be invisible,
but merely trying to be NOT so flashy.

Some of those swashy graphics on the boxy ClassC are downright ugly.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:40 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
Some of those swashy graphics on the boxy ClassC are downright ugly.

Some? I'd say dang near all...

The only ones I find tolerable are the understated Leisure Travel style...
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 01-19-2017, 10:41 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
Some? I'd say dang near all...

The only ones I find tolerable are the understated Leisure Travel style...
When RVs were typically white, some color did reduce he white whale effect. But with coach colors increasingly moving toward darker colors, striping doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. On a charcoal 210, the striping is barely visible. And if you need to do some body work, dealing with striping is a PITA.

I opted for the deletion of striping but I was outvoted. Democracy sucks !
Old 01-20-2017, 06:31 AM   #20
Platinum Member

I still don't understand why so many RVs, especially Class Cs, are painted with swoopy-doopy lines. What makes it worse is that some companies charge extra for it!
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote