Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2015, 10:36 AM   #21
Gold Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mass59k
Default Re: No spare tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe
If I didn't have a spare I would always carry lots of food and beer knowing I might be sitting there for a long time waiting for someone with a new tire. I would also carry some wet wood and matches so I could send smoke signals if I was out of cell phone range.
It's kind of scary. ..due to ladder and solar on roof I don't know if there is any outside room for a tire
Old 06-03-2015, 12:01 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass59k
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe
If I didn't have a spare I would always carry lots of food and beer knowing I might be sitting there for a long time waiting for someone with a new tire. I would also carry some wet wood and matches so I could send smoke signals if I was out of cell phone range.
It's kind of scary. ..due to ladder and solar on roof I don't know if there is any outside room for a tire

mass59k-bite the bullet-buy a tiregate-then you can stop obsessing about the spare-peace of mind is important.

some like wincrasher does not bother them-some it does
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:52 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Put me down with those who don't worry. I have had a spare in my car forever and have never used it. My first RV had a spare slapped on the back... never used it. My last RV didn't have a spare... didn't matter. I just ordered a new one without a spare.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:21 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
Put me down with those who don't worry. I have had a spare in my car forever and have never used it. My first RV had a spare slapped on the back... never used it. My last RV didn't have a spare... didn't matter. I just ordered a new one without a spare.

you ordered 190 i'm shocked
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:31 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Me too. It is a short term decision. I wanted something under 20' now. (only 5" over) While the Promaster appeals, it is so new that the dealers don't yet have all the systems down, the parts supply line is shaky, so I needed something for a few years to tide me over. And yes... it is a big step down from my Libero. (if only LTV still had their Free Flight on the Chevy!!) I suspect that in a few years I will be calling on GWV/Sterling to build what I want with a decent sized fridge AND a power door installed on a short Promaster!! With the 190, I am also getting rid of my mini-van and using it as a daily driver.

But we digress... don't want our new leaders to yell at us!! LOL
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 04:31 PM   #26
Gold Member

Our (new to us) 2008 Pleasure Way Plateau TS we have a neat looking spare on the drivers rear door
Problem is we hope to park it on our house drive but the spare makes the van just 1 foot too long and it will hang over to the side walk which may alert the HOA (as RV's are not allowed) We are thinking of removing the spare wheel and kit up to where it is bolted the rear of the frame ( I am told by Pleasure Way that the frame itself can't be removed entirely as other items are attached to it and the wheel will not fit under the van) also we would sometime like to open both rear doors completely and the spare would need to be lowered and then lifted back into position which I'm sure would be a pain.
We are still unsure of taking the spare off completely or re installing it prior to trips, the van is currently having solar added so I am not in a position to view what temporary removal and replacement would entail does anyone know?
Please excuse our ignorance as this RV'ing is very new to us.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:06 PM   #27
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche911 View Post
Our (new to us) 2008 Pleasure Way Plateau TS we have a neat looking spare on the drivers rear door
Problem is we hope to park it on our house drive but the spare makes the van just 1 foot too long and it will hang over to the side walk which may alert the HOA (as RV's are not allowed) We are thinking of removing the spare wheel and kit up to where it is bolted the rear of the frame ( I am told by Pleasure Way that the frame itself can't be removed entirely as other items are attached to it and the wheel will not fit under the van) also we would sometime like to open both rear doors completely and the spare would need to be lowered and then lifted back into position which I'm sure would be a pain.
We are still unsure of taking the spare off completely or re installing it prior to trips, the van is currently having solar added so I am not in a position to view what temporary removal and replacement would entail does anyone know?
Please excuse our ignorance as this RV'ing is very new to us.

You can take it to a truck trailer shop.
They can cut the mount can convert it to a removeable hitch for you.