Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2018, 06:41 PM   #61
BBQ
Platinum Member

This is how the Europeans get their RV to North America, and beyond

https://seabridge-tours.de/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Seabridge.JPG (72.0 KB, 24 views)
Old 06-06-2018, 06:59 PM   #62
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
Greg, did I NOT see a picture of any bathroom/shower??? Can you post one?
Our wet bath is the same as the one shown in this build but with a teak sink cabinet and a teak medicine cabinet on the wall. Hard to tell from a photo but it is larger than the one in our 08 RS Adventurous with plenty of room to shower and use the cassette toilet with the swiveling top. MaxxAir vent fan in the bathroom ceiling and a window to get good ventilation. All the windows in the cabin and the skylight above the bed are double pane glass. You can use the skylight to get to the roof when you want to get up there.

Patagonia Custom Garage on KW | Global Expedition Vehicles
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:09 PM   #63
Bronze Member

I never ever would have imagined anyone would go to the trouble and huge expense of shipping a 10-30000# vehicle overseas..... I know someone that sent a motorcycle...
Cliffhanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:28 PM   #64
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post
I never ever would have imagined anyone would go to the trouble and huge expense of shipping a 10-30000# vehicle overseas..... I know someone that sent a motorcycle...
People ship their yachts across the pond too.

https://www.cnbc.com/id/100758754
Old 06-06-2018, 08:23 PM   #65
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post
The people who travel around the world with one do it regularly. Even to drive from the US to South America you have to ship it around the Darien Gap to get from Panama to Columbia.
Old 06-07-2018, 04:29 AM   #66
Platinum Member

Default OK thanks... we have a wet bath as well... although we haven't used it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
Our wet bath is the same as the one shown in this build but with a teak sink cabinet and a teak medicine cabinet on the wall. Hard to tell from a photo but it is larger than the one in our 08 RS Adventurous with plenty of room to shower and use the cassette toilet with the swiveling top. MaxxAir vent fan in the bathroom ceiling and a window to get good ventilation. All the windows in the cabin and the skylight above the bed are double pane glass. You can use the skylight to get to the roof when you want to get up there.

Patagonia Custom Garage on KW | Global Expedition Vehicles
Funny thing about "wet baths".. very few people use them according to Roadtrek, like 2 percent... although 100 percent of the people say they want a bath and shower onboard..

For us, we treat is as an optional thing as in an emergency we would use it. One of these days.

Yeah, it looks similar in our 2012 RS.
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:39 PM   #67
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
Funny thing about "wet baths".. very few people use them according to Roadtrek, like 2 percent... although 100 percent of the people say they want a bath and shower onboard..

For us, we treat is as an optional thing as in an emergency we would use it. One of these days.

Yeah, it looks similar in our 2012 RS.
We used the wet bath in our Roadtrek Sprinter regularly and use the one in the truck also. We are not usually in a campground with showers. As I mentioned, the new bathroom is significantly easier to use for all purposes than the bath in a Roadtrek Sprinter. It is about 36 inches square with a watertight door and with the swivel top on the corner toilet you get more area to shower without a shower curtain and more area for your legs when on the toilet and more area to use the corner sink. The long and narrow Roadtrek bath with the shower curtain works but is much more restrictive than a square area. We have a teak mat for the floor when we shower.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:31 PM   #68
Platinum Member

Quote:
We used the wet bath in our Roadtrek Sprinter regularly and use the one in the truck also. We are not usually in a campground with showers. As I mentioned, the new bathroom is significantly easier to use for all purposes than the bath in a Roadtrek Sprinter. It is about 36 inches square with a watertight door and with the swivel top on the corner toilet you get more area to shower without a shower curtain and more area for your legs when on the toilet and more area to use the corner sink. The long and narrow Roadtrek bath with the shower curtain works but is much more restrictive than a square area. We have a teak mat for the floor when we shower.
If Roadtrek says 2% use it is because they might have polled only their users. Their long and narrow wet bath rooms with the funky doors to get more room is the worst design for a Sprinter based wet bath, IMO. In May I probably had interaction with well over 200 Class B owners at various rallies and get togethers and my impressions are way more than 2%. In fact, just about everybody has showered in their van that have showers of course. Most, admit if other choices they take advantage of it. However, if you boondock an appreciable amount of time, especially in one place you will shower in your van.

BTW, I made my own teak shower mat. It makes taking showers more comfortable.

2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 02:44 PM   #69
Platinum Member

Cliffhanger, as you can see we have a fantastic group here full of insight and experience. I am in the same boat as you, meaning I like to get away. I have a 4WD Adventure Vehicle (Suburban) and my Calss B simply can't go where I will risk going in the Suburban; however, I have built her to get get close. I am not a rock crawler type, but I do want to get to cool locations away from the fuss.

So, on my rig I added bigger tires, I have recovery boards, and I added a hitch up front for a winch or another bice rack/cargo carrier etc. I feel pretty capable with these additions.

Another thing you can consider is towing a dual sport motorcycle. Take the rig as far as you can go and then use the bike to go adventure.

Lastly, if you are soloing and really want the 4wd capability, go truck and camper. I think you can get all the same things you need with more "off road" capability. I think I would go this route, but I haul a few extra aliens, I mean people, with me.

Either way, sounds like there is a sweet adventure coming soon. Let us know what you settle on.

Mark

Here is a video walk around of my rig:
https://youtu.be/R5QT60c1ti4
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180505_145958.jpg (335.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20180526_141901.jpg (199.0 KB, 10 views)
saenzm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 11:33 PM   #70
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yes, we saw lots of them too in Alaska. Most are shipped over to Halifax and they go across Canada to Alaska then down the Pan American highway into South America and then from there to their next continent. It would be nice if you could get the MAN and Mercedes 4wd cab forward trucks over here. This Kenworth had to go to Tulsa Truck Manufacturing to be converted to 4wd. It is actually a European DAF designed truck (PACCAR owns Peterbilt, Kenworth, and DAF) brought over for North America and built at a PACCAR plan in Mexico. 24v cab with the rest of the truck 12v.

Greg - just noticed I had a photo of an expedition rig I saw in Alaska.

Enjoy,

- - Mike
2012 Sprinter 3500 Extended converted B-Van by Airstream
Old 06-18-2018, 12:04 AM   #71
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Greg - just noticed I had a photo of an expedition rig I saw in Alaska.

Enjoy,

- - Mike
2012 Sprinter 3500 Extended converted B-Van by Airstream
Thanks for the photo. Looks nice. On the Expedition Portal forum they have specific threads set aside for posting photos of sightings of expedition trucks. Always interesting to see what shows up...
Old 06-18-2018, 01:12 AM   #72
Silver Member

We spend winters in Yucatan. We take a week to get there from Laredo. Most of the folks we meet are European Overlanders, either headed to Uruaguay or Argentina or coming from there. Most popular vehicle is a Toyota pickup with camper shell.

Our interest is increasing road clearance a few inches. There are topes (speed bumps) in some towns in Mexico that a 2002 190 Roadtrek Versatile cannot Cross at any speed without scrapping and eventually cracking fiberglass (Palenque and San Cristobal de las Casas in particular). Raising 2” would probably be sufficient. We have 415 W of solar (perhaps 80 pounds) and are curious how increasing road clearance would affect handling.

To be noted that 1000 km of gravel in Labrador proved irksome since it was greatly potholed on the Labrador Coast Highway
Teed

Reed and Elaine
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 06:37 PM   #73
Platinum Member

An off-pavement reminder that it's not a good idea to take a whale onto the back roads. This thing could have six wheel drive and I don't think that could compensate for the fact that it was way too heavy for that road and those conditions. It you want to skip the preamble, start the vid around the 5 minute mark.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote