Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2019, 04:20 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Off-topic comments related to: Michelin tire availability changes

The NHTSA recommends that tires be replaced every six years regardless of the number of miles driven. Proper inflation is the Holy Grail of tire maintenance. Too much or too little air in your tires is guaranteed to cause you trouble and uneven or excessive wear over time.

Tires are the only thing between you and the road. I'd rather spend a few extra dollars on this and not worry about it.

I personally know a few people who had tire failures on their van and they all said that one incident can result in your losing control, flipping over or causing a major accident.
They were lucky, but said they would never do that again. All that money you think you're saving won't mean anything if your wheels are destroyed or worse you don't survive the crash.

It's also a good idea to have a tire pressure monitoring system on your rig.
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 04:22 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
The NHTSA recommends that tires be replaced every six years regardless of the number of miles driven. Proper inflation is the Holy Grail of tire maintenance. Too much or too little air in your tires is guaranteed to cause you trouble and uneven or excessive wear over time.

Tires are the only thing between you and the road. I'd rather spend a few extra dollars on this and not worry about it.

I personally know a few people who had tire failures on their van and they all said that one incident can result in your losing control, flipping over or causing a major accident.
They were lucky, but said they would never do that again. All that money you think you're saving won't mean anything if your wheels are destroyed or worse you don't survive the crash.

It's also a good idea to have a tire pressure monitoring system on your rig.

And just what does this post have to do with Michelin tire models availability????
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 04:36 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Default Clarification NHTSA recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
And just what does this post have to do with Michelin tire models availability????
This was in response to something you wrote; see below.

It appears that the often first choice Defenders are going away in the 16" sizes used on many of our vans, which kind of pains me because our now 6 year old MS2 Michelins will be do to replace in a couple of years.

I don't advise people to wait on this safety issue.
Old 08-24-2019, 04:42 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
This was in response to something you wrote; see below.

It appears that the often first choice Defenders are going away in the 16" sizes used on many of our vans, which kind of pains me because our now 6 year old MS2 Michelins will be do to replace in a couple of years.

I don't advise people to wait on this safety issue.

That is, plainly, BS based on your history of chattering up threads with unrelated stuff. This is not a discussion of how often tires should be replaced, what tire pressure to run, TPMS, or how close "people you know" came to being killed. I repeat, BS. If you want to discuss those topics, start a thread about about them, but leave this one discussing the topic it was started for.
Old 08-24-2019, 05:02 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Default Safety is always good advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
That is, plainly, BS based on your history of chattering up threads with unrelated stuff. This is not a discussion of how often tires should be replaced, what tire pressure to run, TPMS, or how close "people you know" came to being killed. I repeat, BS. If you want to discuss those topics, start a thread about about them, but leave this one discussing the topic it was started for.
The NHTSA doesn't make statements like that for laughs.
I don't know why you don't take this advice seriously.

It's very unfortunate. It is definitely not BS.

Traveling on old tires is not a good idea for you or anyone else on the road. Sorry, but, that's just a fact.
Old 08-24-2019, 05:17 PM   #6
Site Team

Default Off-topic comments related to: Michelin tire availability changes

The purpose of this thread is to provide a home for member contributions that are indirectly related to the thread: "Michelin tire availability changes". The purpose is to preserve such contributions while avoiding diluting the original thread.

Please be sensitive to potential thread-hijacking when posting side comments on narrowly technical threads.

Thanks from the moderation team.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 05:24 PM   #7
Platinum Member

https://www.michelin.com.my/auto/tip...e-my-car-tyres
Old 08-24-2019, 06:48 PM   #8
Platinum Member

It's pretty well known that Michelin says 10 years max for the tires the discussion was about. They also recommend having them checked by a pro from 5 years onward.

Actual info from NHTSA: https://www.nhtsa.gov/equipment/tires

Quote:
As tires age, they are more prone to failure. Some vehicle and tire manufacturers recommend replacing tires that are six to 10 years old, regardless of treadwear.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 07:37 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
It's pretty well known that Michelin says 10 years max for the tires the discussion was about. They also recommend having them checked by a pro from 5 years onward.

Actual info from NHTSA: https://www.nhtsa.gov/equipment/tires
Thank you for looking up the actual NHTSA recommendation--I was just about to do so. One of the things I like about this list is the difficulty in passing exaggeration as fact.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 08:20 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Thank you for looking up the actual NHTSA recommendation--I was just about to do so. One of the things I like about this list is the difficulty in passing exaggeration as fact.

I agree completely.

As an old engineer used to say about his trade and how do it.

"Good engineers look stuff up, and bad engineers make stuff up".

So very appropriate in many other things, too.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:42 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Real Class B RVers don't worry about tires lasting 6 years. They drive them and never reach 6 years.

Maybe it is a concern when buying used, especially older models that have been stored away for a long time and not used.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 09:01 PM   #12
Silver Member

I bet if I spent enough money I could get every agency out there to say tires should be replaced every five years, or four, or seven or whatever. I bet I could buy every one of them.

Edmunds already says you should replace your tires every three years.

Road and Track for years was saying two years. They've modified that due to the laughter, snickering and now total lack of respect for any [advertiser driven] opinion they have.

If there are scientific studies, they state this mixture used in this brand of [discontinued] tire should last this long if this fifty category list of environmental factors is in play.

If it makes you feel good replacing your tires every two/three/six years then go for it. I'm still going to rely on the inspection-based common sense decisions that have kept me rolling.

Two years ... jeeesh!

Steve
SteveWolf is offline   Reply With Quote