Old 12-09-2018, 04:18 PM   #1

Default OK, here goes....

Looking to purchase New Travato next winter. full-time use, new england resident. single occupant most of time. i teach, so summers are free as most weekends throughout school year. not sold on pure 3 yet, cost seems huge.

Any comments and opinion will be a huge help

stevekan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 09:56 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum stevekan!

Both Travato models "G" & 'K" are highly regarded. They've come out recently with new lithium "L" versions. But they come at a steep premium in price as you have noted.

Search this forum for previous threads that have "Travato" in the title. Good stuff there to start.

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/se...earchid=826663

rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:19 PM   #3

appreciate the feedback, starting to cross the T's.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:52 PM   #4
Silver Member

Steve, I have a 2019 K, I have no experience with the KL or the GL but I can tell you that I use the generator way less than I thought I would. I do not full time, we boondock or stay at state and national parks. Our Travato came with a 1000w inverter and 200w of solar panels on the roof (std in 2018-19 Travatos). We found a coffee maker, a hot water boiler and a toaster that all work on 1000w or less, just not at the same time. No need to run the generator to make breakfast. The only thing we can't do without running the generator is run the microwave and roof AC.
Have you decided on a floorplan yet?
fruch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:48 PM   #5

leaning towards the K. i like the amount of natural light and open space. Id love to remove/reconfigure the smaller twin to 2 folding chairs that form a twin
Old 12-10-2018, 10:18 AM   #6
Silver Member

I had the tops off the bunks to check out the insulation, you may want to add some if you plan on winter use. There is a lot of mechanical under the shorter bunk, might make big changes on that side difficult. Not a lot of wasted space there. I do recall seeing some pictures where someone converted the passenger side (longer) bunk into a dinette that folded back down to into a bunk. Good luck!
fruch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:33 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekan View Post
Looking to purchase New Travato next winter. full-time use, new england resident. single occupant most of time. i teach, so summers are free as most weekends throughout school year. not sold on pure 3 yet, cost seems huge.

Any comments and opinion will be a huge help
If by full-time use you mean living in the van through a New England winter then that would present some challenges. Find out if any RV parks near you remain open and if they shut off water and if you can empty waste tanks etc. Frozen pipes and tank contents would likely result in damage. High humidity in the van in winter can lead to condensation on windows, walls and in closets etc.
Two bikes on sliding cargo box: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/m...icture206.html & 1997 GMC Savana 6.5L Turbo Diesel Custom Camper Van Specifications: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...vana-5864.html
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:39 PM   #8
Bronze Member

Steve - where in new England are you? I'm a Sportsmobile owner in southern NH. Good luck with your purchase!
Leland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:16 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Ditto Markopolo's comments. I live in AZ and in the lower elevations you don't have to worry about freezing. But I'm about to head over to the Colorado river area for a few days. Even though it won't freeze there the heater will cause condensation especially in the bath area. There are some threads on this forum dealing with winter camping. You might want to search for those to get some ideas. I believe the last one I read was something like "4-season RVing."
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:41 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Join the Travato Owners and Wannabes page if you’re on Facebook. Very active, lots of feedback (positive and negative). Someone has converted the long bed to a convertible dinette.

AlexJ is offline   Reply With Quote