Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2012, 12:52 AM   #1

Default Old Newbie

My wife and I just picked up an older Class B. Everything is new to us as this is our first RV. Seemed like a logical retirement move but there is just so much to learn. Its a 1990 Chevy G20. That's all I know. No manufacturer tag, no manual, nothing. Could someone tell me if this was a popular model? Was it totally built by GM? I don't like to spend my first post begging for info, but I do have a few electrical and gray water issues to resolve before we can try it out.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:36 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Old Newbie

Just guessing here. I think it may have started out as a conversion van for travel. The large windows would let seated passengers have a good view. The roof air conditioner (looks like an air conditioner to me) and camping facilities inside could have been done later. I looks to be in very good condition. Well cared for. It looks like it has awnings for the side windows - that's a nice feature.

Ask as many questions and post as many photos as you like.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:53 AM   #3

Thank you Mark for the speedy reply. The inside looks like it has been there since day one. Includes Magnatek 6336 power converter, Electric fridge, Glass two burner electric cook top, Microwave, Power sofa which reclines into bed. Swivel captains chairs, and a potty with an onboard blackwater tank out back. The roof mount ac works great.
Just no identification except for individual components and Chevrolet. It has no graywater tank for the sink. Plans are to upgrade the magnatek ( fan dosen't work and it hums and clunks when the breaker furthest to the right is on.) and to add a gray water tank and dump.. We also plan to paint it as Gm had paint adhesion problems in that era.
Oh, and it has No Propane on board. Everything is electric.

Ron
Old 08-05-2012, 12:35 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Does it have an aluminum running board on the other side as well? A web search turns up Starcraft Chevy G20's with roofs that look very similar but they all have fiberglass running boards.

if you haven't already, check for a sticker on the driver's door pillar:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg starcraft label.JPG (96.9 KB, 794 views)
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:52 PM   #5

Yes sir, aluminum running boards on both sides. The Id sticker is gone. The lower half has been repainted and for some reason they removed that info sticker. Incredible. Thanks, Ron
Old 08-05-2012, 03:11 PM   #6

I downloaded the Starcraft PDF file found here on this forum for 1991 and it does reference both aluminum and fiberglass runningboards.
Also I found reference to Starcraft filing for Chapter 11 in November of 1990. If this is accurate, then records and info on my particular van might be hard to find.
Thank you for your help. This is a new world for us. Ron
Old 08-24-2012, 10:47 PM   #7

Just an update to my attempt to identify our "B". I pulled the fresh water tank today and flushed it out, replacing a few hoses. There was a Lavanture packing slip still taped to the bottom made out to Rocky Ridge, Franklin Springs, Ga. So can I assume Rocky Ridge did the complete conversion?