Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2015, 06:43 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default On the road to safety

So I bought my 1992 B in late fall of 2014, and parked it for the winter. This spring I busted it out and went over it.

Here in Manitoba, all vehicles have to have a safety before Manitoba Public Insurance (MPI) will insure the vehicle. It's a one time per owner safety, so it's not too bad. But boy did I run into issues.

Back in 2005 I bought a Class C to live in while my house was being rebuilt. The safety was a non issue. Take it to a mechanic, fix a few things and you're good to go.

Fast forward to 2015 and I tried to do the same thing. Nope. Most mechanics wouldn't even touch the B. But no one was telling me why. I would hear stories about how they aren't covered to have propane inside the shop, it's a Heavy Duty vehicle so they won't work on it etc.

So after a week I finally talked to someone who gave me the info I needed. It seems that RV's with propane tanks have to also have a propane safety done. This includes checking for leaks, pressure test and the final piece, having a tank that is not less than ten years old.

Back in 2005 the propane safety was optional. Now it's mandatory. And you are given three choices.

1) Scrap the vehicle
2) Install a new tank
3) Drain and disable the propane system

Since I already put $3k into the van to make it pass mechanically, I didn't have the cash to fork out for a new tank and the rest of the propane safety. Since the tank was empty already it was disabled.

It was frustrating, but I thought about how little I used in the Class C when I lived in it for 7 months. I honestly don't see much need for propane in a weekend style B for myself.

So what do you think? Is this safety thing a good idea? Going a little too far?
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:26 PM   #2
Silver Member

Funny thing, I'm originally from Manitoba now live in California. Here in the nanny state only portable propane tanks, such as those used on trailers, must be re certified at ten years. Permanently mounted propane tanks as found in my B are exempt. I use propane for the refrigerator, stove and occasionally for heat. I'm surprised to hear that Manitoba is more stringent then California.
sebtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 09:42 PM   #3

What Sebtown says is also true for BC. I think someone is getting their facts mixed up. The permanently mounted tanks, under the chassis should be checked every now & then for the valve function, but are usually ok. The portable tanks (think BBQ) are only good for 10 years. Here in BC, every time one sells an RV, the propane system also needs to be certified, they check for pressure/leaks etc.
GaryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 10:41 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Any propane tank in Manitoba cannot be filled after it's 10 years old. And it's almost impossible to find somewhere to fill a tank here too. It's all exchange tanks.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:17 AM   #5
Platinum Member

I'd heard of the 10 year rule on portable tanks but not permanently mounted tanks. Obviously safety is paramount but I really dislike junking stuff based on age alone.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote