Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2019, 05:34 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Onan 2800 Microlite

Like most other mid 90's Roadtrek owners who serviced their generator - I pulled the generator out of my van to have it worked on (somewhat easy with a cherry picker).

Anyways, after reading some other threads on the procedure I noticed some of you had moved the generators fuel pump to another location. Apparently, when it gets hot, it stops working properly.

So i decide to take a preventative measure and relocate the fuel pump while the generator is out.

Question: Should I presume those of you who did relocate it... moved it and attached/bolted it somewhere underneath the vans carriage? Perhaps near where the generators fuel line comes out underneath? Appreciate any advise you guys have, thnx

Rod
Kr4ftw3rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:04 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Looking from the front. Bolted to the existing generator bracket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MH fuel pump 004.jpg (134.4 KB, 77 views)
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:58 PM   #3
Platinum Member

The green thing is the top of the generator which is mounted just behind the rear axle. The rear axle is at the top right of the picture. The left rear spring is seen just below the fuel filter.
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 11:37 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Thnx Deano

However, my generator is not underneath the carriage. It's inside the rear of the van underneath the driverside seats.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Generator.jpg (415.2 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Gen2.jpg (264.1 KB, 37 views)
Old 06-15-2019, 03:09 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Default Is that a little noisy???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kr4ftw3rk View Post
Thnx Deano

However, my generator is not underneath the carriage. It's inside the rear of the van underneath the driverside seats.

I thought my genset was noisy.. and it's directly underneath the vehicle in the rear, BUT, having that inside the coach sounds even noisier?

Have you measured the decibels level?
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 04:16 AM   #6
Bronze Member

Roadtrek Adventuous RS1

Purchased the Roadtrek about 4 months ago. The genset wasn't working then so I have no idea of the decible levels. The generator was the last on the list to be worked on and I'm finally getting to it. There is a 1/2" thick piece of plywood that goes over the generator and then the seat sits atop that. I'll find out how loud it gets once I get it working ..
Old 06-16-2019, 03:02 AM   #7
Gold Member

I bought our 95 RT190 with the same setup as yours 2 years ago. I replaced the fuel pump about 9 mounths ago and mounted it in the original location. No fuel problems since then. I don't find the noise to be excessive. My $0.02 worth.
blackbourn3704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 03:32 AM   #8
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbourn3704 View Post
I bought our 95 RT190 with the same setup as yours 2 years ago. I replaced the fuel pump about 9 mounths ago and mounted it in the original location. No fuel problems since then. I don't find the noise to be excessive. My $0.02 worth.
Thnx blackbourn3704

I haven't taken the cover off the genset yet. Should I presume the "original location' of the pump is inside the genset or mounted elsewhere and was it a oem fuel pump?
Old 06-16-2019, 03:57 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Default OK, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kr4ftw3rk View Post
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1

Purchased the Roadtrek about 4 months ago. The genset wasn't working then so I have no idea of the decible levels. The generator was the last on the list to be worked on and I'm finally getting to it. There is a 1/2" thick piece of plywood that goes over the generator and then the seat sits atop that. I'll find out how loud it gets once I get it working ..
I'm really surprised that they designed the generator inside the cabin... that seems like a really terrible idea.

Yeah, good luck with that and let us know how noisy it is.
It's hard to imagine that thing underway while you are inside next to it?
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 12:49 PM   #10
Gold Member

Default Onan help

The original pump is inside the genset. See bottom left of attached picture. Tip: remove the nuts that hold the baffle plate on which the pump is mounted, raising the baffle will allow better access to the pump.
Here is a link to the Onan manuals. Index of /
Here is a link to a good Onan forum. Lots of good stuff.
https://www.smokstak.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1

My replacement was OEM, or at least OEM type. Remember these are LOW pressure pumps. A "universal" pump may over pressure the system resulting in flooding the carburettor and creating a fire hazard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fig6-1.JPG (83.3 KB, 61 views)
Old 06-16-2019, 03:30 PM   #11
Bronze Member

Wow! blackbourn3704

That's a pretty comprehensive index list...

Thnx for the links
Old 06-16-2019, 05:24 PM   #12
Gold Member

To determine which manual you need look at the model number on you genset. Use the first letters (eg. KV) and the last letter (eg C) that means it is a "KV Spec C", or just "KV-C".
Old 06-20-2019, 06:15 PM   #13
BBB

Sure hope your carbon monoxide monitor is working. An inside generator is extremely dangerous. Yes, exhaust systems leak.
BBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:02 PM   #14
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBB View Post
Sure hope your carbon monoxide monitor is working. An inside generator is extremely dangerous. Yes, exhaust systems leak.
The "inside" generator is not really inside at all. It is like the vehicle engine, it is outside the coach environment. It may be accesed from inside, just like the vehicle engine can. To your point however there is a CO detector inside the van close to the generator compartment and also the furnace and water heater. The detector should be replaced every 5 years. I just replaced mine with a dual CO and propane detector. I also replaced the smoke detector. On both of them I wrote with red permanent marker "Replace by June 2024". I also test them before every trip. No such thing as being TOO safe!
Old 06-20-2019, 07:31 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
I'm really surprised that they designed the generator inside the cabin... that seems like a really terrible idea.

Yeah, good luck with that and let us know how noisy it is.
It's hard to imagine that thing underway while you are inside next to it?
My Coachmen was similar. It was on the passenger's side in the rear dinette seat in a metal box. It vented to the outside and had it's own outside access panel.

Honestly, with the seat cushion on top of the box, the generator just wasn't noisy enough to worry about. When parked with it running I could easily still hear traffic going by in parking lots. The A/C unit made a LOT more noise in the coach than the generator did.
hepcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:31 PM   #16
BBB

Great, glad to hear you are really into safety. Safe travels.
BBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:45 PM   #17
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBB View Post
Absolutely BBB,

Too add what blackbourn3704 had explained... there is sealant placed on the bottom of the compartment where the Genset sits. This sealant is placed around every opening in the bottom of the compartment with special attention to where the pipe exhaust exits out the bottom. The weight of the genset pushes down on this sealant creating a seal around every hole at the bottom of the carriage. This is why is't so difficult to pull the genset out when it needs to be serviced i.e. solenoid, fuel pump etc. (poor design by Roadtrek). The plywood on top of the genset compartment is also sealed well. However, I still think it wise to have a portable CO2 detector handy along with the CO2 detector inside the van. As 'blackbourn3704' said "No such thing as being too safe".

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbourn3704 View Post
The "inside" generator is not really inside at all. It is like the vehicle engine, it is outside the coach environment. It may be accesed from inside, just like the vehicle engine can. To your point however there is a CO detector inside the van close to the generator compartment and also the furnace and water heater. The detector should be replaced every 5 years. I just replaced mine with a dual CO and propane detector. I also replaced the smoke detector. On both of them I wrote with red permanent marker "Replace by June 2024". I also test them before every trip. No such thing as being TOO safe!
Great idea. Could you provide information on the type of detectors you chose? And thanks for the input.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:30 AM   #18
Gold Member

The detector in the van when I bought it a few years ago was a MTI. The exact model is no longer availabble. I suspect it was the original. (So much for replacing every 5 years) I must admit I did not know that was a reqirement until I started looking for a replacement when mine quit working. Here's a link to Amazon for the MTI dual detector I bought.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 06-23-2019, 11:56 PM   #19
Gold Member

Default Onan 2800 Microlite

Two years ago I relocated the fuel pump and fuel filter (both new) outside my Onan. It's run fine ever since, even in 100+ temps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170724_191323892.jpg (180.4 KB, 35 views)
bwatters60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:51 AM   #20
Gold Member

Neat installation, and you have the added bonus off them being easier to get to if you should ever need to. I thought about doing something like that but could not any place to mount them.