Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2010, 04:00 AM   #1
Joe
Platinum Member

Send a message via AIM to Joe
Default Onan Gen 2800

I have had on and off with mostly off problems with my Onan 2800 gen set. I see others have had fun with theirs too. Mine started and ran fine all winter here in Maryland but sometimes would shout down after 20 min. or so. As soon as the weather started getting warmer it would only run for 15 to 20 min. and would not restart until it cooled off. The gen. also would not operate after the vehicles fuel level indicated half tank. I had issues with this in the past and had adjusted the fuel line inside the vehicles tank. I pulled the unit out again and found the chock housing which is part of exaust system had broken off. Welded that back on put it back in and guess what it started and ran for 15 min. and cut off. Pulled it back out and since I had a spare fuel pump I put that on for the h-ll of it. After getting the old pump off I saw a small spring all bent up in the fuel line. After putting the new fuel pump on and getting the unti back into the camper it runs fine. It also draws fuel down to 1/4 tank as adjusted before. The only thing I can think of is when the gen gets hot the old fuel pump would quit and did not have enough pressure to draw gas out of tank past half. Keeping my fingers crossed. Hope this helps anyone else out there with a Onan.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 02:08 AM   #2

Default Re: Onan Gen 2800

Joe, was wondering if you have to remove the onan each time you work on it, reason for asking , i have a xplorer van with a 2800 microlite onan, and think the pump went out, it will run with gravity feed gas, but i cant figure out how to remove the gen from the van, its in a small cubical behind the spare tire, any info would be great tks tony
tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:14 AM   #3
Joe
Platinum Member

Mine is in a compartment in the rear extended area on the drivers side of my 1995 Dodge Ram van which is a different location from yours. The gen set does not fit thru the access door. This might be to prevent theft, not sure. You have to remove the entire access door. Mine has a black weather strip which comes off. Under this are many screws that have to be removed. Then there is a caulk type seal on the rim of the access door that was stuck to the camper which was hard to pull off. After removing the access door you have to find out where the electrical wires are attached to the camper from the gen. set and the wire from your house battery and remove these. My gen. would only come out a few inches until I repoved same. One other thing to check. When I first removed my Gen. set several years ago. The gas line was chewed thru I guess by mice. You should replace while you have it out. The gen. set weight is about 113 lbs which is not all that heavy but if you are doing it by yourself it is hard with the wires having to be disconnected before taking it all the way out. Also remember to take the tail pipe off and check the complete system to the mufler for cracks in same like mine had. Hope this helps, please let me know. Good Luick!!!
Old 04-23-2010, 04:22 AM   #4
Joe
Platinum Member

I did not answer your original question. Yes, I had to remove it each and every time I had to work on it. The small panel on the front of the gen. set does not alow you to get to really anything. The fuel pump is located on the left rear of the gen. set. After your remove the unit you have to take the complete outer green case ( 4 screws) off the gen. set to gain access. I also sent away for the shop man. which has alot more detail about the unit. I ordered it off line from a Onan dealer but do not remember which one.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:49 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony
Joe, was wondering if you have to remove the onan each time you work on it, reason for asking , i have a xplorer van with a 2800 microlite onan, and think the pump went out, it will run with gravity feed gas, but i cant figure out how to remove the gen from the van, its in a small cubical behind the spare tire, any info would be great tks tony
I had problems with the solenoid/starter on mine just over a month ago. I had no idea nor enough
skill or courage to even attempt the fix. It wouldn't crank at all.
I took it to a specialty shop about 100 kms away from here (ironically, just down the street from the
Roadtrek factory). They removed the genset to work on it. They said it was hard to get at, but it was
the only place Roadtrek could mount it, and not take up storage space inside the main van, so it made
sense to them. It also increased the cost to repair them, because of the additional labour to get it out
and put it back. Once the top (green cover) of the 2800 is removed, there's sort of a little wrap around
balcony that has stuff mounted on it. The solenoid is located on the left side, near the back of the unit,
if you're looking at it from the control panel side. On it, there's a small blade connector for one of the ignition
wires which had corroded over time. They replaced it. Since we were probably heading west towards the
Rockies at some point back in March, I asked about the altitude adjustment screw. They said you could just
start the genset, and when running, turn it up until the idle smoothed out. They didn't give me the impression
the actual guage (0-10000 ft.) was significant or accurate. (just an FYI )
So, you do pretty much have to remove the genset, to do anything beyond checking the breaker and fuse.