Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-29-2008, 05:06 AM   #1
Joe
Platinum Member

Send a message via AIM to Joe
Default Onan Gen fuel line problem

Update on my Onan Gen problem. I ask if the unit had a electric fuel pump and was told it did. I thought it had gone bad so I pulled the unit out. The pump was good but the fuel line was chewed through behind the unit. I replaced all of the fuel line on the unit to the gas tank. I then bench tested the unit and it ran fine. I put the unit back in and it ran for a while and quit. I still had 3/4 tank of gas in the camper but filled it up just to try it. The gen started right up and I have found that after I use 4 gal out of the tank the gen does not get fuel. My question is how is line ran down into the tank? I am also having a problem locating the rubber window molding for my 1995 Xplorer any ideas? Thanks.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 05:10 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Try contacting Xplorer if you haven’t already.

http://www.xplorermotorhome.com/contactus.html

Hopefully they’ll help.

Re: the fuel tank / fuel line

From memory, (on my Roadtrek) it looked to me like they just tapped in a hose barb type fitting into the tank. There was a rubber hose attached to it. I’ll look at my current RV setup this weekend.

Forum member g1g has done quite a bit of work related to his generator he might have more specific advice for you.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:02 PM   #3
Joe
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
Try contacting Xplorer if you haven’t already.

http://www.xplorermotorhome.com/contactus.html

Hopefully they’ll help.

Re: the fuel tank / fuel line

From memory, (on my Roadtrek) it looked to me like they just tapped in a hose barb type fitting into the tank. There was a rubber hose attached to it. I’ll look at my current RV setup this weekend.

Forum member g1g has done quite a bit of work related to his generator he might have more specific advice for you.
I contacted Xplorer and had a hard time getting a responce then not any help. I can see where it enteres the tank I am just not sure what is going on inside. Wondering if the line fell off inside or is it a metal line that slipped. Thanks.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:05 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe
I can see where it enters the tank I am just not sure what is going on inside. Wondering if the line fell off inside or is it a metal line that slipped. Thanks.
I wish I new the answer. I searched the Xplorer Yahoo Group & Google - can't find an answer to either question.

Does anyone here know the answer to any of Joe's questions?
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:31 AM   #5
Joe
Platinum Member

I pulled the vehicles fuel filler pipe. It had a copper tube at one end which attaches to the rubber fuel line going to the gen. The rest of the copper tube approx. 13 inches goes into the vehicles gas tank. Somehow this tube was bent to far up which when the vehicle was at 3/4 tank the tube was out of the gas. I had the vehicle already at 1/4 tank so I just kept bending the tube until in went into the gas. Now the gen. will operate until the camper is at 1/4 tank. Hope this helps someone out in the future.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:51 PM   #6
Silver Member

Too bad you had this problem from shabby workmanship. Glad you checked it out.

Smart idea though, instead of drawing from the standard fuel line and letting you generator empty your tank.
paulm is offline   Reply With Quote