Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2007, 09:20 AM   #1
Joe
Platinum Member

Send a message via AIM to Joe
Default Onan Gen. no start

I have an Onan gen that will not start. It runs on starter fluid but is not getting gas. I put a vacume on the gas line but could not get any gas out. is there a pump or shut off valve anywhere? I checked the manual but all it reads is (IF equiped) which as the camper is new to me I do not no. The Rv is a Xplorer if that matters.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 01:31 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Yes there is a fuel pump. g1g had a similar problem with his. Click on this link:

http://classbforum.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=628

There's a photo of an Onan with the cover off in that thread.

I don't know if there is a shut off valve.

The generator fuel line usually taps into the fuel tank at around the 1/4 tank level so the first thing to check is that there is enough gas in the tank.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 01:34 PM   #3
Platinum Member

g1g's Onan Generator Modification:

Quote:
Originally Posted by g1g
Well I found out that my generator does have a fuel pump like Marco said and after I dropped the unit I was able to get the electric pump out. I got to thinking and when the parts store only had a universal one in stock I decided to just mount it on the frame of the camper. I also put a fuel filter before the pump (this way dirt in the fuel won't ruin the pump) rather than after it as Onan had it. Where the fuel filter was, I put a piece of steel tubing with a slight bend in it as to match the fuel inlet of the carb. I would have liked to change the entire line but I couldn't get the electric wires disconected or the cover all the way off. I now have more room in there if I ever have to flip the circuit breaker and the fuel filter is out in the open to change. If that fuel pump goes bad again it is also in the open. So roughly $60 bucks later and a couple trips to the parts store I now have electric again. That beats the $100 pump only price I found on the internet.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 07:45 PM   #4
g1g
Platinum Member

Just to let all know the Onan generator with universal fuel pump is working fine. I was excercising the generator yesterday to power my hedge clippers and few other things while doing yard work. It had a few stumbles at first which is most likely the choke because after it warmed up, it was fine.
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote