Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2019, 10:48 PM   #1

Default Open floor plans like the travato 59k

We went to see a few class B’s today. Pleasure ways Lexor a Hymer Aktiv and both Winnebago Travato models. What I found is I like it when the bathroom is not in the middle of the van. The Travato 59g’s bed is way too small. On the 59 k putting the bed up and down is kind of a pain and I worry we’d damage the table over time. The bathroom at the back of the van could be awkward - might have liked to look out the back window when we wake up. The more I think about the travato and what’s included the more I like it. Can anyone tell me what kind of selectionthe Toronto or Ottawa rv shows have? I really liked the road trek Zion I’ve seen on the internet with the bed in the back with the 2 twin sized sofas - with one sofa sliding down in to the other like a futon. I’d have to look again but I’m sure the bathroom is in the middle. Trade offs 😊. Any other vans we should look at that have a more open floor plan?
pattyottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 01:01 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I have the same dilemma. I like an open floorplan as well, and I want to be able to use the back doors of the van for cargo.

I have an '04 Airstream Interstate front-sleeper which has the rear bath and kitchen that make the van inaccessible from the rear doors, but the floorplan is open and not claustrophobic.

The only other rear twin sleeper is the Coachmen Crossfit 22D which has the ability to use the rear doors, but is also a mid-bath/kitchen.

You're correct in your assessment of that it's all about trade-offs.

This link takes you to a page with pretty much all the variations of floorplans available in a Class B today, with the two Travatos being about the only other original floorplans not shown here.

https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/specs...m1729-y2008-t9
hepcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 02:02 AM   #3
Silver Member

The Coach House Arriva has a dry rear bath with a shower stall, and twin rear beds like the Travato. The Winnebago ERA 70 M also has a rear dry bath, but no rear outside access, and it has a murphy bed in a slide! The new Winnebago Boldts both have rear bathsb but are extremely expensive, listing for close to $200k plus options.

As far as the midship baths, the size can be really important. The Pleasureway Lexors have the largest and most residential, and have enough elbow room for me to shower without hitting the sides continuously, or having to sit. The Winnebago Paseo had a relatively roomy bath and open rear area, but that model is no longer in production. The bath in the Simplicity/Zion is so small I can't even stand in it, and many other Sprinter based baths are equally small. Check them out carefully as you shop.
mtmdatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:55 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyottawa View Post
... the bed in the back with the 2 twin sized sofas - with one sofa sliding down in to the other like a futon. ... Any other vans we should look at that have a more open floor plan?
Are you limiting yourself to considering new models only?

If you are considering pre-owned, here is what a 2007 Airstream Interstate RS model looks like. It has what you describe - two jack-knife couches in the rear which operate independently. Bed AND couches - there is no need to choose one or the other (which many newer models seem to force people to do... I don't understand this). Jack-knife couches are non-negotiable for us because I am a morning person and my husband is not. So I will get up early, raise my sofa, put my stuff away, etc. and he can keep sleeping on his side without being disturbed.

We use the back door on "my" side of the sofa/bed for ingress-egress and have built a custom hitch carrier which ferries our Yeti cooler cross-country. Being able to open that door fully also allows a good cross-breeze (I sewed a custom bug screen for it).

The million-dollar view will always be out the back doors. This is all a matter of personal priorities and taste, but we would never have any lay-out that would obstruct that view. I've included an image quilt from Instagram of views out many vanners' back doors (about 4 of the thumbnails are mine).

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 01:02 PM   #5
Platinum Member

The most open floor plan I've seen recently is the Advanced RV named Bucky that has practically a 360 deg. view with all large windows. It is a 144" WB Sprinter.

https://advanced-rv.com/gallery/bucky-shorty/
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 03:39 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Before finally settling on our choice of a Sprinter based PW Plateau FL (Which even then ws still compromise for us, but we felt the best one!) we had seriously considered the twin bed Travato

Certainly there were features we liked on the Travato but here is what put us off.

(1) Quality (Fit & Finish) seemed lacking. We noticed quite a few minor issues, trim falling off loose, panels, etc. This was on a lot at a Camping World outlet and maybe lots of folk has been abusing it during the walk thru, but to us, it made us think there could also be bigger quality issues. The Camping World rep with us seemed little concerned!

(2) A larger concern was that while the the beds - when used as beds looked a good size for us, particularly in width compared t some others , and the tilt up lounge features seemed a good idea, as seats, they seemed much too deep for us to get any back support, and both of us had our feet dangling! No doubt we could have worked out something to resolve this, but combined with (1) it caused us to drop this model from our list.

I really liked the bathroom - especially in comparison to the tiny one in our front loughe Pleasureway, but we decided to live with the smaller one figuring that e don't plan on spending a lot of time in there and so the space is better utilised elsewhere.

Just our reasoning - everyone has their own view of pros and cons!

Brian,

PS - to me, our PW offers a has a pretty open arrangement - windows all around in the rear, and up front, the front lounge pushes the bathroom back somewhat and both front seats can swing entirely around - that makes teh front seam quite spacious.

As well, we chose A light decor - "White chocolate" radiused cabinetry, almond seating and light coloured corian and we feel that enhances the feeling of space.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:50 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
The most open floor plan I've seen recently is the Advanced RV named Bucky that has practically a 360 deg. view with all large windows. It is a 144" WB Sprinter.

https://advanced-rv.com/gallery/bucky-shorty/
Similar to our most popular layout. The 144” in our shop now gets a drop down shower pan where Bucky’s is permanent. We now have three options for our convertible sofa/sleeper: slatted (like Bucky), drawer slides, or purpose-Built hinges that swing the backrest forward.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:20 PM   #8

Thank you for all the pictures! We are definitely starting to realize how important that rear view is to us! We are hoping to check out a lexor fl in the future. It's over our 100,000 dollar budget though. Not sure how close to 100,000 in cad we can get? We were also looking at the crossfit - not sure about the rear wheel drive in winter though.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:25 PM   #9

We found the same thing with the seating in the Travato. Not very comfortable with the table up - especially on the one side. We are hoping we like the look of a lexor fl just not with the grey in it. Really don't like the grey at all. The travato 59 k is definitely closer to our budget though and seems to include a lot.
Old 07-02-2019, 04:11 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thank you for all the pictures! We are definitely starting to realize how important that rear view is to us! We are hoping to check out a lexor fl in the future. It's over our 100,000 dollar budget though. Not sure how close to 100,000 in cad we can get? We were also looking at the crossfit - not sure about the rear wheel drive in winter though.
Crossfit's RWD isn't too bad in winter. The rear axle is carrying two and a half tons of weight, and if needed, good Nokian winter tires are available in the correct size for a Ford dually and an aftermarket locking rear differential can be retrofitted.
@Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 02:00 AM   #11

We have a regency xalta with the twin beds, bathroom in back with a separate sink, vanity, and storage on one side and wet bath on the other Open all the way thru to back door and we are installing a screen on back doors so we can keep them open for air flow thru.

Works for us since we don’t have the couch/bed blocking the back. Our storage is under the twin beds which are also our couches
2blacklabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 05:36 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Interblog, I like the accessory on your hitch carrier, she looks ready to go on a trip!
Lennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 02:56 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
You may want to look at the Safari Condo XL Flex (Promaster or Sprinter) which offers several different rear configurations, one of which is a U-shaped dinette which converts to a king sized bed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4793.jpg (84.7 KB, 20 views)
AlexJ is offline   Reply With Quote