Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2018, 07:21 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Outside 6" vent for a portable air conditioner

Greetings!

I recently bought and installed a portable A/C unit in my Ram ProMaster. It is small, quiet, and works very well. It can cool, vent, dehumidify, and heat also. Here is the model:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NBVD8WS/ref=pe_2640190_232748420_TE_item

I have a dilemma about making an outside vent for it. It has a 6" air hose that needs to be vented.

So far I bought a household vent with louvers. It looks not great but okay, but I do not like that the louvers flap when I drive. Has anyone seen any better side vent options?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 2113.jpeg (338.4 KB, 30 views)
MotoVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:30 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Nice idea. I’ve thought that someday when I build out my own van that I would figure out a space for an AC like this and skip the one on the roof. Then only carry it when AC use will be needed. I’d get a two pipe one, though.

For venting, I was thinking about having awning type windows and fabricating some sort of box that was shaped to fit in the awning window replacing the screen on one side and had a way to attach the AC pipe on the bottom. Would make two of these one for supply and one for return. The awning window would have to be open to run of course.
Knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:32 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Thank you for posting...I want to do the same for my "some day van" so, I look forward to reading replies to your post.

Is your van a cargo or passenger Ram ProMaster? What powers your portable a/c?
Oliver2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 11:34 PM   #4
Bronze Member

My van is a Ram ProMaster 2500 159" wb window van. I like the windows because of the good visibility. It has no interior yet. I like it this way for now, I transport my dirt bikes in it.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:06 AM   #5
Silver Member

For what it's worth, there are no passenger Ram Promaster vans, only cargo vans and cut-aways. Fixed windows are optional in the passenger side sliding door, and on the drivers side if the optional sliding door is ordered. Despite the windows, no additional passenger seats or interior fittings are offered from the factory.
mtmdatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:49 AM   #6
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmdatlanta View Post
For what it's worth, there are no passenger Ram Promaster vans, only cargo vans and cut-aways.
Sorry, my van does exist. You can even order a new one.

https://www.ramtrucks.com/build#/models/zipcode/48108/vehicle/CUT201707/ccode/CUT201707VF2L26A/llp/2TA/options/ERB,DG2,SDC,TWA,WCS,A7,Z2E,RH3,AA,PRP,21A,APA
Old 06-18-2018, 03:15 AM   #7
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver2017 View Post
What powers your portable a/c?
Almost forgot, I have a 12-110V 3,000 W inverter. Even a 1,000 W inverter should work with this 8,000 BTU unit, but it should be a pure sine inverter because most A/C units are picky about that.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:26 AM   #8
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knit View Post
I’d get a two pipe one, though.
I have to think or read up on what the advantage of a closed circuit system would be. Right now I am not against some fresh air coming in.

This unit has its heat exchanger air inlet right below the outlet. If I want to convert it into a closed system all I have to do is cut a hole under the existing vent and seal it against the A/C unit.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:40 AM   #9
Bronze Member

I am going to try to paint this ABS and PVC plastic vent white, see if the paint sticks.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B016614CPK

There are white round deck plates out there, bit I could not find any that were hinged. And I want a hinge so that I do not have to deal with finding a place to store a loose vent cover.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:07 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Central AC systems in homes are the equivalent of two pipe systems. One pipe systems have to pull warm air from outside to work. So you have to condition outside air to stay cool. Two pipe systems are like the max AC setting on your car AC. But I like your idea even with one pipe.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:52 PM   #11
Bronze Member

Quote:
Central AC systems in homes are the equivalent of two pipe systems. One pipe systems have to pull warm air from outside to work. So you have to condition outside air to stay cool. Two pipe systems are like the max AC setting on your car AC. But I like your idea even with one pipe.
A single hose portable AC unit blows hot/humid air out the hose. It takes room air and cools it.
skiMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:15 PM   #12
Platinum Member

In a single pipe system, the air blown across the hot coils and out the vent must be made up from somewhere. There is a negative pressure in the van/rv. And the make up air needed is pulled from the outside through vents, cracks and leaks in the van/rv or a window if open.

In a two pipe system, one pipe vents air that crosses the coil. The second provides outdoor air to blow across the coil. If there are no leaks in the system, there is no negative pressure inside the van/rv and no outdoor air is sucked in.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:20 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoVan View Post
Sorry, my van does exist. You can even order a new one.

https://www.ramtrucks.com/build#/mod...AA,PRP,21A,APA
I thought ProMaster passenger vans are no longer available...as of 2017...at least that is what my dealer said this past Fall...are you saying they are back for 2019? You used the term "window van"...your van came with second and third row seats?

I need a second row so, now I'm looking at the Transit Passenger vans...
Oliver2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:24 PM   #14
Silver Member

Here is a mini split unit having the compressor outside and the evaporator inside.

https://youtu.be/BrlESvS2QjU

Forrest air buys it in China from Datong
Paul the Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:58 PM   #15
Platinum Member

A well done mini split system would be neat for what I want to do - carry it only when needed. It would sure help to keep the noisy part outside. I’ll have to check out the refrigerant line disconnect design. Hope to see this reviewed somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-22-2018, 09:49 PM   #16
Silver Member

There is no way to disconnect the line, therefore your window needs to open so that you pass either unit true your RV
https://rollibot.com/product/mini-sp...r-conditioner/
Check out another supplier of the same Chinese Datong unit at lower price, but out of stock, these are available from Alibaba but you need to order a minimum of units and pay $200, plus transport and brokerage fee. I gather the guy at Rollibot will order when he has enough clients.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:04 PM   #17
Bronze Member

Quote:
A well done mini split system would be neat for what I want to do - carry it only when needed.
Right now the only thing that keeps my system in place is a pair or bungee cords. I can remove it in seconds.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:10 AM   #18
Platinum Member

Default Outside 6" vent for a portable air conditioner

@Paul

The product sheet says “leak proof detachable valves”. I took this to mean that it was possible to separate the indoor and outdoor units. Perhaps I am wrong. Does this product have the right certifications/listings to be sold in US?

https://www.forestair.ca/images/mini...AC-8000Btu.pdf

The owners manual shows you can disconnect temporarily but that “a bit of refrigerant may escape”. Disconnecting sounds like a really dumb idea.

https://www.forestair.ca/images/Mini...ual_-_ENv2.pdf
Old 06-23-2018, 08:59 AM   #19
Platinum Member

@MotoVan

I like your idea and the easy removal. But I like the concept of a mini split system because it has a separate outdoor unit that makes it like a two pipe system which is the way home AC works. Having the outdoor unit would require effort every time it is used and could be stolen though. Like every RV choice, it would have pros and cons.

Have you used yours much yet with or without a window open?
Old 06-23-2018, 12:20 PM   #20
Silver Member

Hi Knit

Simply do a Google search and it will show the same Datong made in China unit sold by numerous outlets and names. Amazon, Forest Air, Rollibot. If you are worried about certifications it can also be purchased at Costco for $1000. Canadian dollars.
https://www.costco.ca/ForestAir-Mini...100411448.html

Or from Monoprice out of California
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=33290

Or from Europe (UK)
https://www.coolmycamper.com/