Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2022, 07:46 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Oversize tires speedo/odo calibration

This is for the Chevy vans 2003 and up, maybe earlier, until 2010 6 speed models came out. The method for change would be the same for others, but the numbers would change.

Your Chevy dealer will likely not be able or willing to do this change as it is not in their prebuilt tire size flashable modifications availability.

This is for the fairly common move up to 265-75-16 tires on the Chevies mentioned above. It is what we have and size change we made quite a while ago. The size increase puts the speedo and odometer reading 3-4% low but doesn't have a major detrimental effect on the running and shifting.

The GM program is accessible with readily available tuners from HPtuner and BullyDog as examples. The programmers and software are not cheap at all, but reputable "tuner" shops for hotrods or trucks often have the tuners and bulk licenses to tune for hire. I would expect this change, if they are given the numbers to enter might be in the $100 range to have done in a fair shop. The whole thing only takes about 15 minutes to do.

Here is a screen print from my HPtuner as it shows up on the laptop screen after uploading our 07 van program. It is of the "speedo" section and includes the settings that would be changed.

It is best to change two of the settings. Gear Ratio and Tire Size, plus Sensor Calibration. One controls the trans shift points and the other controls the speedo calibration. They move together by using the same % change to both of them. You need to get both of them to read higher by increasing the settings when tire diameter is bigger.

The settings I will give are based on how I see our tire life to probably work out. New tires are bigger than worn tires and will cause changes of the two setpoints. I chose to use the Agilis tires we have with the 657 rpm per mile spec on Tire Rack for the new tire basepoint. The tires have 12/32" of tread so we would typically be replacing them by the time they are 6/32 worn (because of age). If I split the error from where it gives a 3/32 or about .100" reduction in diameter. That .100" wear would change the speedo/odo by about .6%.

We then did 100 mile odometer checks against the highway markers on our recently competed trip and found out how far off the odometer was. I changed it to a percent off and then included the .6% for future wear and came up with the new settings. I just did what should be the final change after the last check showed a .4% correction should put it where I want it to be.

Here are the settings I put in:

Trans revolutions per mile 2698 (enter this number and it might read a bit different one in place as it rounds to increments of the sensor)

VSS sensor pulses per mile 108,432 Be sure you use a comma and not decimal point as it looks like a decimal on the computer screen.

Save it on the laptop and then flash it into the program, is all the shop will need to do.

If you have a Scangauge or other monitor you can change the "speed" adjustment to zero base on how ours behaved and probably will need to recalibrate the fuel compensation % setting for a few fillups.

This should take care of the about 3.5% error in speed, odo, and fuel mileage you calculate from the odo which is about .5mpg at 15mpg.

I welcome any and all checks on my calculations as this is kind of a convoluted process.

Personally, I will be glad to have accurate speed, odo, and most of all mpg from the Scangauge on future trips so it is worth the effort.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Speedo calibration.JPG (39.4 KB, 54 views)
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 06:33 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I did basically the same thing on my Transit, using the Forscan app. After installing my oversized tires, my speedometer and odometer were pretty far off. At 60 MPH on the speedometer, my GPS would be indicating 66. After the correction, it improved to 62 MPH on the GPS when the speedo reads 60. Still not perfect, but much better.

The limitation on the Transit was the tire sized to choose from, that was the best I could do with the available options. I've read that new versions of Forscan now have an additional few sizes, and I should be able to dial it in closer, but haven't actually tried it yet.
Old 06-25-2022, 07:04 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsPaseo View Post
I did basically the same thing on my Transit, using the Forscan app. After installing my oversized tires, my speedometer and odometer were pretty far off. At 60 MPH on the speedometer, my GPS would be indicating 66. After the correction, it improved to 62 MPH on the GPS when the speedo reads 60. Still not perfect, but much better.

The limitation on the Transit was the tire sized to choose from, that was the best I could do with the available options. I've read that new versions of Forscan now have an additional few sizes, and I should be able to dial it in closer, but haven't actually tried it yet.

What you have seen is the same as was the issue with the Chevies at the dealer that I mentioned earlier. Your App is apparently only using whatever tire sizes the dealers have in their computer programmer as options. The Chevies stopped at 245-75-16 size and we had 265-75-16 on ours.

I would be very surprised if there isn't a tuner available for the Transits that lets ANY tire diameter/revs per mile be changed. As with the HPtuner I used it would be probably not be entered as an easy tire size but would be in pulses per mile or such, but that is not a big deal to convert. It might pay to check with a truck modification shop to see if they have such a tuner for the transit as then you would be able to get the speedo/odo just where you want it.
Old 06-25-2022, 07:08 PM   #4
Platinum Member

You can buy a tuner but you could also find a guy who writes tunes for vehicles using a tuner. These guys are usually pretty good since it's just software they're tweaking.
Previously: 1999 36' Foretravel, 1998 Newell, 1993 Newell
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 07:31 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
You can buy a tuner but you could also find a guy who writes tunes for vehicles using a tuner. These guys are usually pretty good since it's just software they're tweaking.

Absolutely and is is the recommendation I gave in the initial post. A hot rod truck shop is a good place to start as they would have the tuner and hopefully expertise to do the change. The remote programming guys that are getting more common will generally need you to have the tuner to actually flash the ECM although I think some are now able to do it over the internet if you get an appropriate adapter cable and connect with a laptop. With the web glitches, doing it that way does give me pause as any break in the data stream during programming can brick the ECM, requiring replacement, in many vehicles.