Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2019, 10:09 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Painting my Roadtrek 190

Just bought a 2000 Dodge Roadtrek 190 Popular the previous owner tried to do some spot painting where the paint was flaking off that didn’t go well with over spray and running of the paint. I want to have the body of the van repainted my wife wants to paint it blue like the running boards rather then the stock white. What’s your thoughts yay or nay.
Monstermash74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 12:22 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstermash74 View Post
Just bought a 2000 Dodge Roadtrek 190 Popular the previous owner tried to do some spot painting where the paint was flaking off that didn’t go well with over spray and running of the paint. I want to have the body of the van repainted my wife wants to paint it blue like the running boards rather then the stock white. What’s your thoughts yay or nay.
Welcome to the forum Monstermash74!

Maybe take a picture and have someone you know who is talented with Photoshop show you a representation of the potential result.

That blue might be a little too much on the overall surface, but my opinion doesn't matter. Only hers/yours.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 02:42 AM   #3
Gold Member

Speaking of van body issues, has anyone figured out a way to reattach the ground effects that break off? I have a 2006 190P and when I opened the passenger door, the bottom of the door (plastic ground effect) got hung up on the dirt and popped the top of the ground effect away from the actual door. I have no idea how to include a picture so hopefully someone who has had this issue can respond. I’m sorry be a little off topic, but I’ve tried numerous times to figure out how to post a new thread and I guess I can’t do it from my phone.

Thanks, Greg.
Thevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 11:58 AM   #4
Platinum Member

The darker the color, the faster the van will heat up in the sun. It will be more difficult to keep the inside cool. If you travel with a pet, this could become more concerning.

If you change the color and don't want to have a "cheap looking" paint job, it would require having all the door jambs, under the hood, etc painted. A decent paint job might cost $3-5K, including jambs (maybe $2-3K without the jambs painted). Is a 2000 model RT worth this "investment"?
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 12:32 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Our Roatrek is a 1993 and paint is flaking of it too. Our plan is to have it painted the same color and white is cooler and have stripe or a pattern painted on. We have a newer LTV Freedom also on the Dodge chassis, but the old Roadtrek just fits us better so we plan to keep it. A good paint job is not cheap.
vwmaniaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 03:01 PM   #6
Platinum Member

If the body has no rust and you like the van that much, a nice paint job should make it look like new. Might be worth it.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:54 AM   #7

A picture of the colour combination in a photoshop will help me out to decide
Allen Arin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 03:04 PM   #8
Bronze Member

Went to Maaco to see what the cost would be to paint the roadtrek. I just wanted the van body painted white only. The blue on the lower part is in good condition a long with the top. The estimate was $2300 I think I'm going to have it painted.
Monstermash74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:45 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Went to Maaco to see what the cost would be to paint the roadtrek. I just wanted the van body painted white only. The blue on the lower part is in good condition a long with the top. The estimate was $2300 I think I'm going to have it painted.
My only suggestion is first talk to friends, co-workers, family members etc. to see if any can recommend a local paint & body shop based on personal experience. Always a good idea to get a few other estimates as well.

Good luck.
Old 04-02-2022, 07:29 PM   #10

I’m looking at a rT that needs roof painted. I can’t find the California poster who said where they went... I need a so Cal price on this. So I can figure it in in my offer. Thanks!
Gazroady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 07:32 PM   #11

Hi, how much to get roof done in so Cal. Do you know a good place? I’m looking at one to buy that was in az , not garaged. By photos,, looks like it needs painted while roof and the drop by windshields and side— the rest appears ok. But I can only tell by photos.
Any opinions ?.
Gazroady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 09:06 PM   #12
Platinum Member

check recent tread about paint on chev based B's
chevy's in white pre2007 have trouble with color coat separating from primer

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...int-12949.html

in PHX, my pleasure way was $3500 for hood, rt rear door and the tops of both sides from rails to window tops

one of the guys has his vans in at maaco

a few others have posted costs

I have not had to paint my roof, but did reseal the intrusions a few years ago and wash and wax it yearly- the cost of a repaint will depend on what type of shape it is in- in real bad cases of neglect or time in AZ the fiberglass can degrade

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 12:22 PM   #13
Platinum Member

It appears that white paint in that time period isn't limited to Chevy. My 2006 Lexus GX470 has the same white pearl peeling paint. The primer looks good but the topcoat is peeling off.
Previously: 1999 36' Foretravel, 1998 Newell, 1993 Newell
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 05:38 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Any one in Southern California that had their van repainted and can recommend a shop? It is hard to find a shop that does complete vehicles. I've been to Maaco - they may do in a pinch.
Old 04-21-2022, 07:31 PM   #15
Bronze Member

Default Paint

Quote:
. Maico has good paint but their prep is not always good. Do some prep yourself for a beautiful job. I have a RoadTrek 200 2004 and have been spot painting it. It is white which is an easy match.
Hammernine is offline   Reply With Quote