Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2015, 03:06 PM   #1

Default Passenger sitting comfort

I am new and joined the forum to learn the good, the bad, and the ugly of the class b. I had a question arise from looking at the pictures of class b rv's for sale (the used ones). I like the looks of the Roadtrek and the Pleasure Way. The pictures may not be doing the rv justice because it appears that the feet area of the passenger is so small that the passenger could not be very comfortable. ALSO...the driver side appears that the gas peddle is in an awkard position for your foot. Please would someone tell me that these popular models are really very comfortable? Thanks
torah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:51 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Passenger sitting comfort

I'm not tall. No comfort issues for me on drivers side. (Ford E-450, Chevy 3500, Dodge 3500 (or 350 - can't remember), GMC Savana 3500).
Passenger foot space seemed smallest in the Ford (from memory). Doghouse console stuck out the most. I replaced the Ford console with one I purchased from Winnebago and that helped passenger with being able to get in and out of passenger seat.

Handling would be a bigger issue for me. Time for a few test drives so you get some comparatives to know what you like & dislike.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 04:13 PM   #3
Platinum Member

You didn't mention which models. Pleasure-way and Roadtrek build off several different models. The NCV3 model Sprinters are very comfortable with plenty of leg room and I have driven all day with no discomfort. I always thought Chevy's have had the best captain seats on the market. My best seat ever was a Chevy Silverado pickup. The only complaints I have seen online over the years has been in regard to the Ford cabs for leg room. It seems the Pleasure-way Ford Excel endured those complaints the most. Pleasure-way on most of their models shoved the bathroom as far forward as they could tight to the back of the driver's seat. I didn't care for that as I think it did restrict the full movement the factory seat was capable of. To me it was not a problem but claustrophobic in my 2005 Plateau.

My new Advanced RV Sprinter is being modified with genuine leather upholstery and a replacement of the standard inner padding with a gel padding typically used with wheelchairs. Since I don't have it yet, the jury is out. My former 2011 Great West Van Legend was re-upholstered with the imitation leather common on Bs called Ultraleather and I also believe they re-padded the seats with extra upholstery support because the seats felt different than other Sprinter Bs.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 05:53 PM   #4
Platinum Member

The passenger foot space in the Ford E vans is terribly small. I had a 1999 E-350 until I got my Sprinter.

- - Mike
2013 Airstream Interstate from 2012 Sprinter 3500 tall & long
Old 01-08-2015, 06:14 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Another plus (one of a long list of many) of the Promaster vans is that with the front drive arrangement, there is no engine doghouse intruding into the passenger compartment. Coupled with ample travel on the front captains chairs, there is lots of foot room for tall passengers. I often put a dog bed in the passenger side footwell for Mr. Bonz.

Granted, there aren't many on the used market that the OP is looking at. Unless of course he'd like to offer something ridiculous for mine.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 05:42 AM   #6
Platinum Member

I bought the Chevy ( prime reason is that i have GM's so familiar with the layout and foibles)

When shopping I noticed that some manufacturers offer optional "doghouse" ( engine cover) for the Ford which is smaller for easier clearance and foot room.
But I am a big Guy and have ridden in plenty of Econolines with no real problem fitting my feets and boots.
And the passenger is free to shift around and much as they want on the road....

The Chev seems fine on the other side, and fine for me @6'2" my seat back is almost against the cabinet, but it is positioned right where I would have placed it anyway.

The PW Lexor only has the 2 seats up front, so you better like them!

The RT will have a 3rd ( Popular) or 4th seat ( Versatile)- the PW gives us a more open feeling and better bed size.

picking a B is balancing desires...int size, ext. size, stuff, storage etc etc etc.

there are some great youtube dealer walk through which can help you "see" what would work for you.

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 11:42 AM   #7

Thanks, I had been looking at some youtube video, but sales personnel do not wish to show the downside of things. Owners are showing the things that they have modified with pride. The used smaller Class B is what I like. Have to get them in my price range....ha ha.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:00 PM   #8

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/classc/200 ... -27856.htm

Is this price unbelievable... would it be advantageous to go look at this unit?
Old 01-09-2015, 02:22 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Unbelievable? It is 15 years old with over 280,000 miles. I'd offer them half the $13,000 they are asking.

- - Mike
2013 Airstream Interstate from 2012 Sprinter 3500 tall & long
Old 01-09-2015, 07:37 PM   #10
Platinum Member

I'd certainly want to know if engine/trans have been replaced.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:39 PM   #11
Platinum Member

nearly 300,000 miles is 300,000 miles. if it has a new engine though itmight be ok. also ppl price is not fixed-offer lower and maybe the seller will accept
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 12:32 AM   #12
Platinum Member

If they are close to you- go and look...kick some tires etc.

My budget was up to about $70K...in the end an 8 year old w/80K for $30K is the way we went.

I ( me) would not buy a dodge.
I find that in older units the fabric surfaces may not hold up well...and they all tend to be blue velour and dark cabinetry.
in warm climates- the rubber may be in poor shape- that is not just your window seals, but also the brake lines ( etc etc)

You just have to shop around- see what is out there.

GET a modern motor- 2000 was kinda the change in technology which gave more efficient and powerful motors- a throttle body injected motor will make 50 or less HP than a TPI or direct injection motor ( vortec or triton)
you want 15 MPG, not 10 MPG

BTW a strong contender for us was the winnebago RIALTA on a VW.
they have some great lay outs ( 4 versions).
but I lacked confidence on how it would do on mountain passes- 6% grades are a fact of life for us.

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 01:36 AM   #13
Platinum Member

I was unhappy with the Ford E350 Chassis re wandering on the road so I enjoy my MB Sprinter with great roadability and no wandering. It is relaxing to drive. I do have that problem with the drivers seat against the wall to the bathroom but the later Sprinters with the 3500 chassis do not have that problem and have the seats which can be swivelled. I would always prefer a MB Spinter chassis for a B or C RV.
Fastpaddler1 is offline   Reply With Quote