View Poll Results: What's your everyday usage computer system of choice?
Mac/Macbook/etc. (Apple based OS ) ? 13 54.17%
Smartphone Blackberry/Android/etc. (Microsoft based OS) ? 1 4.17%
PC/desktop/laptop/notebook/netbook/etc. (Microsoft based OS) ? 9 37.50%
Smartphone Iphone/Ipad/etc. (Apple based OS) ? 1 4.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-19-2010, 05:56 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default PC or Mac or something else?

I think these options are the most mainstream choices. Please add anything
else you might prefer for everyday internet and email access, in a posting to this
poll.
Thanks.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:34 PM   #2
Bronze Member

Default Re: PC or Mac or something else?

Had to give the smartphone a vote. Serious computing is done on a PC but I travel a lot so my smartphone delivers emails, directions and countless other things while I'm traveling.

Old 12-26-2010, 05:35 AM   #3
Platinum Member

I've had a MacBook for 3 years. In 3 years I called Apple Care only once for a question-, waited maybe a minute to talk to a live person who solved the problem immediately. Just before my warranty was going to run out, I wanted to get some cracks in the plastic case fixed. When I called, they said they would have fixed it even if the warranty was over (!). Took it in, 5 days later I had what looks like a brand new computer keyboard, touchpad,case! AND, without me asking, they changed out the " failing" 120 GB hard drive for a 160 GB. !!!
Compare this with the Toshiba Satellite laptop I had before this-- it was in for repairs every few months, the AC cord broke, the battery only lasted about an hour( my Mac is good for at least 4 hours++) and the thing had virus scans going on at seemingly random times- drove me crazy. Get a Mac.
I travel a lot and I've thought about a smart phone, but don't want the monthly contract, especially with &^%$% AT&T.
I have a cheap prepaid cell phone- costs me about $15. a month. I have a good GPS with a big screen I use both in van and on my motorcycle. I find free wifi almost everywhere.
shezonit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 06:50 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Sony Vaio laptops (3) have been the computer of choice since IBM sold the ThinkPad. My newest Vaio is the VPCEE23FX, purchased for about one-half of what the first one cost back when they were new. It died, but #2, a VGN-S480, is now serving as backup and most-frequent traveler. Among the most-used programs on the road is WinTV, which, with a little receiver and antenna/cable jack device plugged into a port, gives almost as good TV as does the home receiver. WinTV is from Hauppauge. It is Windows7 compatable too.

As I've noted elsewhere, you can run a laptop computer from a modified sine wave power source since all that I know of actually use the internal battery for power and just charge the battery from the AC.

http://classbforum.com/images/1994%20GMC.jpg
VernM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:54 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Damn - these Mac's are expensive. I'm kinda fed up with Microsoft's endless updates. If you are ever unfortunate enough to be on a slow internet connection you will realize that Microsoft's stuff will end up costing you either in time (your time) or money. (I have to pay for anything over 3gb worth of data per month) A recent MS automatic update just screwed up two PC's in my house. Link: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/outlook/archive ... -2007.aspx - if you are technically inclined look up KB2412171 and KB2458611.

I'm ready to buy a mac after almost two decades with MS stuff but am shocked that Apple products are pretty much double the price compared to PC stuff.

I just want stuff that works.
Two bikes on sliding cargo box: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/m...icture206.html & 1997 GMC Savana 6.5L Turbo Diesel Custom Camper Van Specifications: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...vana-5864.html
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:35 PM   #6
Platinum Member

We just got back from a drive around the area looking at stuff (Xmas lights mostly.
It's one of those weird things we do this time of year ).
Oddly, we were discussing the possibility of switching to a Mac as well, and I was
under the impression they were at least 1/2 again as much as comparable PCs. Twice??? Hmmmm?
However, if they do what we want them to do, which MS no longer does (OE6 was one of our
favorite and most usable/beneficial programs, and it's functionality is now history), we'll consider it.
I have a to do list, starting with research Mac's and their proprietary email program. As far as I
know, most websites and applications support, or offer, Apple compatible software. So, unless there
is a serious shortfall in the Apple software, we're looking at them, starting tomorrow. (I'm not a big
fan of Quicktime, never have been).
My nearest Best Buy has a dedicated Apple geek, so I'll start with him.

marko: Although you pay for everything you use over 3GB, look at it as PPU (pay per usage).
Any ISP is hoping to sell you more bandwidth than you can use in a month, because it benefits
them. If you go over your limit and have to pay extra, it's better than paying extra for something
you don't use. At least IMHO.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:40 PM   #7
Platinum Member

By way of update, I recently talked to the "Apple Geek" at Best Buy and it appears that
the Macs have the same email system, more or less, as the PCs. He suggested separate
Windows (or whatever Macs have) ids/logons and to maintain multiple images on the same
machine, which is no better than PC and more expensive. As is buying 2 laptops.
Square one deja vu all over again.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:15 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Oops,

Better move me from PC to MAC!! My Dell is dying...time for a change. Ron
Old 01-11-2011, 01:47 AM   #9

I switched to a mac a few years ago, but am still stuck using a PC at work. I wouldn't go back to a PC at home for all the tea in China.
Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:56 PM   #10
Platinum Member

I've been Apple Mac at home now since its inception 27 years ago when I bought my first computer. At work it had always been PC MS DOS and Windows. So I intimately knew the differences and much preferred the Mac. If you want and buy equal quality and equal features to features you'll find Mac and PCs really are not that much different in price. Admittedly though if you want really cheap there is a PC manufacturer out there that will provide it and most likely you will just end up paying the same over time just in a different way called aggravation.

Here is why I will continue to stick with Apple. I own iPods, iPads, an iPhone, an Apple TV and Mac laptops. They all integrate seamlessly both in hardware and OSes and if a bug does crop up (and they do) you absolutely know Apple will quash it sooner rather than later. The Mac OS has always been more intuitive and easier to use than other OSes. The bonus is the iPhone, iPod, and iPad have been the reputed leaders in their categories and they work together with the Mac like no other computing system. You have assurance you are going with quality and winners across the board. You can run Microsoft's Windows OS or Linux on your Mac if you so desire or your geekdom drives you. You can also go directly into its Unix system if geeky testosterone gets the better of you.

If you own a PC you are dependent on the PC manufacturer to coordinate with Microsoft's various OSes. There are no guarantees they will stay in sync with each other. Most likely you will opt for a smartphone, a music playing device, a tablet, etc. and most likely they will be by different companies than your computer or operating system. Once again there is no guarantee all these devices will work together seamlessly or stay in sync with each other for bug fixes and updates. The various companies do not have the equal market share, resources, technical know how, or money to keep sync with everyone else. Geeks love all this because they can even "build" their own personal systems and think that is freedom. The average user surfing the internet, e-mailing, managing photos, coordinating devices, doing general computing tasks get extremely frustrated. Most people actually have a high tolerance and actually accept the aggravation and just assume it is normal since home and office are the same.

The ugly historic perspective: The PC benefited more from specialty programming to solve a myriad of business functions. That perception led to the belief you got more and entrenched it self in the corporate world, but home and RV users really don't need that as much as business. That same belief hid the fact that Mac users, for instance, had Microsoft Word in WYSIWYG graphic GUI mode a good 8 years before PCs. Photoshop and page layout programs were on the Mac several years before PCs. In fact most all the popular applications from Adobe were first developed on the Mac. Apple set the tone with a GUI interface that kick started Microsoft to develop Windows probably before they were ready to. Apple again set the standard for music players, smartphones and most recently the tablet. They just know how to do it right. It is a question of do you follow leaders or wallow with followers?

2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote