Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2017, 09:53 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Photobucket

I just got the dreaded email from Photobucket that davydd had eluded to a while ago.

"We have noticed that you are using Photobucket for third party picture hosting", etc. so now you need to pay us to be able to do that" yadda, yadda. IIRC, they were very happy with using them for hosting when they thought they could survive on advertising and printing pix, encouraging all of us to put our pix on their site for storage and third party hosting. Now they can't make it that way, and they try to make it sound like we are doing something illegal or unethical, taking advantage of them. I will call BS on this one, as they are the ones that changed the rules, after encouraging the use they are now saying is so horrible.

Time to move all the pix to the home computer or cloud and let the sites host them like the forum here allows.

Bummer is that ALL the links to photos in the many threads here will be gone, leaving folks with no information or help on the topics.

It looks like the bean counters won out on this one, and didn't even think it was reasonable to admit that they had miscalculated the market. For me, if they just came out and said, we messed up and are losing money on hosting, please contribute, I would. Come at me saying I am abusing the service that Photobucket told me to use, and I will be quickly gone.

I guess it is the way of business these days. I would encourage folks not to submit to blackmail, even if it is inconvenient.

I think that most of us don't mind paying for a service that we use, and understand it cost money to do this stuff. But, when you push free hosting and sharing and then hold the pix and links hostage later, I think that crosses the line.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:03 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I just did a little look at how much $ Photobucket thinks they deserve for hosting pix. $40/month or $399/year,

They have to be kidding, or insane

How many here would pay $400 a year to have other see the pix they posted before the site allowed on site storage?

Not me.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 12:07 AM   #3
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I just did a little look at how much $ Photobucket thinks they deserve for hosting pix. $40/month or $399/year,

They have to be kidding, or insane

How many here would pay $400 a year to have other see the pix they posted before the site allowed on site storage?

Not me.

$40 per year is too expensive for me,

let alone $40 per month. LOL

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 03:57 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Bummer is that ALL the links to photos in the many threads here will be gone, leaving folks with no information or help on the topics.
this is universal a billion websites ( incl ebay and amazon) forums have had pics replaced with photobucket graphic declaring that they suck.

I'm doing ok with google photos - which I use anyway as an easy way to share pics with family and for work.
and ability to access all my pics from where ever without carrying a drive- the searchability and assistant are great.

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 04:02 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
I'm doing ok with google photos
This, too, shall pass.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 04:07 AM   #6
Platinum Member

yes in time...

somebody somewhere is working on a crawler to remove all the dead photobucket links..

Hey would you call this a B+ or a C

I'd say an "F"

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 04:21 AM   #7
Platinum Member

I'll take it for $5.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote