Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2015, 05:43 PM   #41
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
You could always get this thing from Roadtrek that they use on the Zion. Good enough for a kid, I suppose, if you don't mind them sleeping against all the controls.

thats exactly what I was thinking about. Looks like a nice extra bed for dogs, too!
Yes. Thats a possible alternative too. I was thinking 4 captains chairs.. That way there could be 2 beds, but going lengthways would allow there to be an aisle between the beds rather than one person having to climb over the other to get to bed...
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 06:08 PM   #42
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefish View Post
Congrats! I too have a Travato G with all the same features and purchased in Iowa. I think a fair price and a nice trip back to Florida.

Anyone with Promasters find the seats uncomfortable? I thought it was just me, but my wife finds the seats uncomfortable after a little while as well (we are only 50 years old and in good shape) but after a few hours my hamstrings really bother me.

I tried adjusting lumbar support etc, but to no avail. Not that there's much i can do about it (other than propping up a pillow), but was curius if anyone else had issues.
Previously we had no issues with the seats but we recently returned from a 7 day trip to Rhode Island and by the 3rd day my 5'- 2" wife was complaining loudly about her seat. It seems the upper part of the seat is recessed and that left her with neck and shoulder pain. On the last 2 days of the trip she folded up a blanket and put that behind her upper back and it helped a lot. We'll be getting some kind of cushion to put back there.
O'Fallon, MO
RTVATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 01:29 AM   #43
Bronze Member

The Travato seats weren't comfortable enough to me, especially on long drives, so I added a set of seat and back cushions from Amazon: Conformax "Cocoon of Comfort" Gel Car Cushion Combo Set.

Expensive, but they're comfortable. Wouldn't drive without them now.

Amazon.com: CONFORMAX "COCOON OF COMFORT" GEL CAR CUSHION COMBO SET: Automotive
Dahai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 01:47 AM   #44
Platinum Member

Gel is what they put in wheel chairs. With my Advanced RV they took out the Mercedes Benz padding which looked like rubberized horse hair and re-installed gel pads. I can drive all day without any discomfort.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 04:10 PM   #45
Silver Member

Cool

The 59G is a brilliant design to ride 4 and sleep 3-4 in a 21' B van. I've been thinking about what Winnebago could do to make the interior feel a bit more open, given all the content inside. I came up with the following:

1. Add a good sized rectangular window mounted horizontally over the kitchen sink and stove, which would make the interior feel more open, closer to the feel of the 59K kitchen, which has such a window.

2. Add a rectangular mirror mounted horizontally over the kitchen sink and stove which is shaped like a coach window (rounded edges) with a black border to match the real coach windows. At first glance it would look like a window and provide a more open feel without cutting any more holes in the wall. No shade would be required. This option could easily be retrofitted as well.
GigaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 04:24 PM   #46
Platinum Member

I feel like I'm stalking you, writing responses in different threads, but here goes anyway.

The 59g may work as you envision if the 2 passengers are children. That dinette seat is OK but the bed it creates is marginal at best. It's quite involved to convert and the result is lumpy. There's also the problem of where to store the two bolsters that are necessary for the conversion, but serve no other purpose. Only one will fit above the cab leaving the other to...well there is no place to put it that isn't in the way.

I love my 59g, but there's only two of us and we're not XL, or L for that matter.

I do like your window idea, but if I'm cooking, I generally have the door open.

Eric

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 05:16 PM   #47
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
I feel like I'm stalking you, writing responses in different threads, but here goes anyway.

The 59g may work as you envision if the 2 passengers are children. That dinette seat is OK but the bed it creates is marginal at best. It's quite involved to convert and the result is lumpy. There's also the problem of where to store the two bolsters that are necessary for the conversion, but serve no other purpose. Only one will fit above the cab leaving the other to...well there is no place to put it that isn't in the way.

I love my 59g, but there's only two of us and we're not XL, or L for that matter.

I do like your window idea, but if I'm cooking, I generally have the door open.

Eric
Thanks Eric and no problem on the stalking. At my age I need all the stalkers I can get.

If I go with the 59G, most of the time it will be just me in the coach for work trips or myself and one other family member riding and/or camping. I'm 6'2", 210 lbs and my son is about the same. My daughter is 5'7" thin build, as is my wife. It would be rare that we would squeeze all four of us in there to go somewhere, as both kids are now older and more independent. It is possible that we could have 3 riding and camping. For the lumpy dinette bed conversion, I would probably add a memory foam topper.

My suggestion of a window is for a more open feel inside, given the existing interior elements. Windows and mirrors provide this. It's about where the coach looks or feels cramped or blocked off inside. When looking back through the coach interior from the 59G cab, the kitchen has a "dead wall" which can evoke a feeling of confinement. The 59K has no dead walls - the flow of the sight lines runs smoothly throughout.

The problem for us is that the 59K is only designed for 2 riders/sleepers, so it has to be scratched from my list. Whether I ultimately choose the 59G or not, I feel that this suggestion could add to the perceived value of the G, bringing it closer to the open appeal of the K.

A good recent example of an RV manufacturer doing something like this is Jayco, with the kitchen in the 2015 Greyhawk 31DS vs. the 2016 model. It isn't even a very big window but it makes a noticeable difference in fixing the dead corner that the 2015 model suffered from. See attachments.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2015-11-22 at 1.07.32 PM.png (277.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2015-11-22 at 1.06.32 PM.png (469.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 12-03-2015, 05:59 PM   #48
Bronze Member

Has anyone one found or added a product for extra counter space on the G. We sometimes use the dinette for it, but it's mostly kept as a bed for our 2 dogs. Photos are appreciated.
JKatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:04 PM   #49
Bronze Member

Default Galley Extension for Travato 59G

I added a Galley Extension on my 2015 G. Pictures are here:

Travato Galley Extension Installed - iRV2 Forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKatfish View Post
Has anyone one found or added a product for extra counter space on the G. We sometimes use the dinette for it, but it's mostly kept as a bed for our 2 dogs. Photos are appreciated.
O'Fallon, MO
Old 12-03-2015, 09:06 PM   #50
Silver Member

Question How About An Upgrade To A Convection Microwave?

Has anyone upgraded the microwave in your Travato 59G to a convection unit? If so, I'd love to see pictures and specs.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:08 PM   #51
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTVATO View Post

Very nice idea and execution!
Old 12-04-2015, 01:15 AM   #52
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTVATO View Post

Thanks! Perfect solution I was looking for.
JKatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 01:19 AM   #53
Bronze Member

Great. Glad to help. If you haven't already, be sure to scroll down through the whole thread to see how I had to put backing in the galley wall for support.
O'Fallon, MO
Old 12-04-2015, 02:34 PM   #54
Gold Member

The convection microwaves are a good bit larger than the regular ones. I don't believe it would fit without extensive modifications.
thefitrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 03:16 PM   #55
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefitrv View Post
The convection microwaves are a good bit larger than the regular ones. I don't believe it would fit without extensive modifications.
If you look at what surrounds the microwave in the 59G, there seems to be enough room in height and width for a small convection microwave if you modify the cabinetry around the existing opening. Just don't know about the depth.

I was also looking for a replacement that was exclusively a convection oven, since we wouldn't use the microwave anyway. That should take up less space since it only has one oven function. Anyone know of such a beast?
Old 12-04-2015, 03:21 PM   #56
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GigaGeek View Post

I was also looking for a replacement that was exclusively a convection oven, since we wouldn't use the microwave anyway. That should take up less space since it only has one oven function. Anyone know of such a beast?
Are you talking about a convection oven (exclusively? like one of those convection toaster ovens) or a convection/microwave where you would use only the convection settings? There is a difference.

What size opening? Also remember that most microwaves have vents on one side - you can't just shove them up against a wall. I assume convection ovens will also have some clearance requirements.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:05 PM   #57
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB View Post
Are you talking about a convection oven (exclusively? like one of those convection toaster ovens) or a convection/microwave where you would use only the convection settings? There is a difference.

What size opening? Also remember that most microwaves have vents on one side - you can't just shove them up against a wall. I assume convection ovens will also have some clearance requirements.
Yes, I'm talking about a convection oven with no microwave. That should simplify the unit so it can be smaller to fit in a microwave oven footprint.

There are a growing number people I know, including myself, who won't use a microwave oven for anything.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:23 PM   #58
Platinum Member

Like I said before, a convection microwave will not fit in that cabinet size in the 59G. I have one in my K and it is alot bigger. It works wonderfully by the way. The size problem is the surrounding space needed around it because it the body shell gets hot, not the microwave functionality making the unit bigger.

A toaster oven could work, as they come in smaller sizes. You might need to build a supporting frame for it, which should not be any big deal for a metal shop - I'd just use some thin sheet metal.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 07:25 PM   #59
Site Team

Quote:
There are a growing number people I know, including myself, who won't use a microwave oven for anything.
Why is that?
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 07:25 PM   #60
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yes, I'm talking about a convection oven with no microwave. That should simplify the unit so it can be smaller to fit in a microwave oven footprint.

Okay.

I have a Breville Convection Oven (actually called a Convection Toaster Oven) - cooks wonderfully; replaced our main oven during kitchen reno.

Amazon.com: Breville BOV800XL Smart Oven 1800-Watt Convection Toaster Oven with Element IQ: Kitchen & Dining

Is that what you mean? If so, and you don't already have one, be advised this thing gets seriously hot, as in burn your hand hot if you put it on top. I think if you put that into a cabinet, you need to provide clearance and ventilation and possibly line the cabinet with fire-proof insulation. Clearance per manual:

"When operating the oven, keep a minimum distance of 4" (10cm) of space on both sides of the appliance and 6" (15cm) above."

Even if you used a microwave convection oven, those require clearance/venting, too. If you see one fit tightly into a cabinet, it is probably a regular microwave - no convection. See photo below of Travato 59K and the venting WGO provided for that microwave convection.

I am sure there are installations of the MW/Convection with tight clearance, but then most people don't run them for more than a few minutes to boil water or reheat food, zap a small casserole. You run that Breville for cooking a small roast, you will generate real heat. They are not insulated.

Maybe someone makes an electric insulated convection oven for an RV (IIRC I have seen them used in Europe); you might want to look for those.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Microwave59k.jpg (466.5 KB, 7 views)