Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2014, 01:31 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Pizza lovers check this out

Small, compact, but you need 110v. This could be a traveler's option as opposed to the bulk of an LP unit. Doubt you'd run this off an inverter.

http://www.amazon.com/Breville-Crisp...oor+pizza+oven
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 03:17 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Pizza lovers check this out

I have the Breville Pizza Maker. Here is one example - my breakfast pizza.

2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 03:24 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher
Small, compact, but you need 110v. This could be a traveler's option as opposed to the bulk of an LP unit. Doubt you'd run this off an inverter.

http://www.amazon.com/Breville-Crisp...oor+pizza+oven

i checked it's specs. uses 1200 watts. depends on how big of an inverter you have
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:59 PM   #4
Platinum Member

The inverter will not be a problem for me. My estimate it requires about a 15 minute warm up to thoroughly heat the stone and close to a 10 minute bake. So for just one pizza you approach 50 ah. Since this makes a personal pizza size you might end up baking two (which I normally do) so with finagling and all with time you might draw down your battery capacity anywhere from 75 to 100 ah. That's doable but puts it in the same category as baking with a convection/microwave oven where you might think of doing it on those days you do have shore power.

Cabelas and many other places sell a semi-portable propane fired outdoor pizza maker called the PizzaQue Pizza Oven that will store nicely in our back storage area of our new B. The PizzaQue will bake a decent Neapolitan style pizza which I like to do with a bake time under 5 minutes.

I make a lot of pizzas and like to experiment. Ultimately I would like a wood-fired oven but it seems our RV travels keep interfering with that goal. I've tried making Dutch oven baked pizzas with a tri-leg Dutch oven and charcoals on top. They take way too long to bake in addition to the charcoal prep time that I had decided it was not worth it.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:26 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Both of those models are tempting. I'd go for the Breeville model for going on a trip where I am mainly going to CGs that have electric and can cook the pizzas inside. The one from Cabelas would be something I'd take if I'm at the renaissance faire where I had a covered (yet ventilated) pavilion. I like the fact that it can use the one pound propane bottles which can be stashed with ease compared to a 20 pound cylinder.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:00 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
Ultimately I would like a wood-fired oven but it seems our RV travels keep interfering with that goal.
Davydd,
It would be a tough fit in a B, but here is a wood fired pizza oven a friend of mine built in his back yard. It works great. Its super insulated and holds the heat for hours. He fires it up in the morning and allows it to burn itself out. He then rakes out the ashes and puts in the pizza. Then as the oven cools he bakes breads, pies, casseroles etc that cook at lower temps. Its hard to see in the picture but there is an insulated stainless steel door setting on a block in the lower left that fits in the opening.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alberts_pizza_oven.jpg (154.1 KB, 806 views)
AmCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:18 PM   #7
Platinum Member

AmCruiser,

I took courses to build this with a group at the North House Folk School in Grand Marais, MN

and this at Gale Woods Park in Minnetrista, MN

And then I designed my own but haven't built it yet.

Of course none of these will fit in a B.
Old 11-15-2014, 05:02 AM   #8
Platinum Member

I missed the Pizza-boat somewhere along the road to becoming a fairly good chef(hobby one): I still cook my odd pizzas in a regular oven. Sigh! I DO like to add my own toppings. Your breakfast pizza looks like it would be tasty and not dry.
Fastpaddler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 01:55 AM   #9
Platinum Member

The PizzaQue is really a terrific item - I have one at the house and use it on the patio. The hardest part about making your own pizza is the dough, although, if you don't have the inclination, you can get some pre-made and just flatten it out, or even buy pre-rolled. I'm just of the mind that this unit is too big to carry around traveling unless you really want to make a lot of pizza. For many years, I too made mine in the regular oven, but recently discovered the ease and superior outcome of a dedicated oven - they get a lot hotter and it makes all the difference.

The Breville may be a reasonable option to carry in a van occasionally if you have the power to run it, as the reviews are good and it gets hot enough to do a good job. It's certainly less of a space commitment than a propane unit and the 10# bottle necessary to run it for any length of time.

Pizza is a pretty easy food option for camping - it can be as simple or as complicated as you like.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 03:21 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Dough is no problem. I've been making pizzas for over 50 years since working in a pizzeria in high school. I make all my pizzas totally from scratch including the dough and sauce. In a pinch and you need dough fast, Trader Joe's sells a fresh unfrozen dough that is pretty good. It seems most supermarkets sell a frozen dough that takes a day to thaw properly in the refrigerator. They would be options since making your own dough needs a lot of space a B doesn't have. I can't tolerate those pre made Bobolino crusts they sell in supermarkets. I do make up my own dough balls and freeze them. I have that figured out. In my previous B I never had the freezer space to make them up ahead of time and take them with me on trips. I will now.

In my previous post I already have the electrical use of the Breville figured out and it will be no problem in our B in a boondocking situation.

The PizzaQue is going to easily fit in the storage area in the back of our B. I haven't decided if it is good enough yet as I am seeking very high Neapolitan style heat of well over 700F. 900F is the ideal and my goal is to master the Neapolitan style pizza and ideally that is in a wood-fired oven.

A lot of people are buying Blackstone propane ovens for high heat but they will not fit in a B in any practical manner. The guys in the Pizzamaking.com forum love it. So, if I buy a Blackstone or build a wood-fired oven I doubt I would also buy a PizzaQue as the Breville will satisfy my needs. Decisions...decisions.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:44 AM   #11
Platinum Member

My wife just asked me to ask you Davydd: Where are you boondocking/camping anywhere near here? She wants to come visit you and sample your pizza!!! Me too.
AL
Fastpaddler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 02:06 PM   #12
Platinum Member

We hope to head for Arizona on February 1 and spend at least a month and a half there. Quartzsite is on our list of places to try though I understand we will miss the big time in January. The last time we went to Arizona we also ventured over to Joshua Tree NP and the San Jacinto Mountains SP (Idylwilde) in California. I imagine we might do much of the same again if not more. Then we will head back clear across the US to get to a granddaughter's school play in Virginia (Washington, DC area) on March 24th.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:07 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Here's a wood fired pizza truck that services the Charlottesville, VA area - awesome pizza! http://blueridgepizza.com/
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote