Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2019, 02:10 PM   #41
Platinum Member

If you are only going to use it for two years, you might want to get one with more mileage for less money. There will be less depreciation when you go to sell, I would imagine.

Here is one with 38,000 miles for $90K
https://www.rvt.com/Mercedesbenz-Mer...531149-UX45595

You might also post in the Pleasure Way Ascent Owners FaceBook group. You never know - someone might want to sell.
https://www.facebook.com/Pleasure-Wa...9944593393253/
Old 02-02-2019, 03:23 PM   #42
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=<<B-Guy>>;87484]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura View Post
Brian, I just looked. The PW Plateaus are selling brand new for $20,000+ Less than the Ascent. Again, it must be a scarcity problem. But some sites list it as about $10,000 more. So hard to know what things should cost.

Doesn't this mean I shouldn't buy one now? As soon as the dealers catch up to the demand, probably right around the time I'd want to trade it in (2 years), the price would stabilize and I would be sol.[/QUOTE

Wow, that is indeed surprising to me as I think that the Ascent is really a shorter version of the Plateau and so, I figured it would cost less - I think it must be built on a 2500 (3/4T) Chassis, whereas the Plateau is the 3500 (1T) dual rear wheel chassis.

The Ascent would not work at all for us, but obviously it does for many, especially solo travellers.

I don't know how to explain that price anomaly - other than as you say, maybe it is a supply and demand thing.

Perhaps you should look at a Plateau FL instead with the two living areas!

Just kidding - if it is just you, then no doubt shorter is better, and that has its own advantages for parking etc.

We need two living areas - as we had in our last RV, a 31 ft Airstream trailer, if only so that I can play my banjo in one end and my wife can watch tv in the other end!

Also, I go to bed earlier than she likes to, so again, two living area / two tv's works great for us!

Best of luck, and do let us know how you make out !

Cheers ....... Brian.

Laura,

After reading your comments about comparative prices of the Plaeau and Ascent, I checked my invoice again!

I was wrong when I said I paid $158k Canadian ! Further down in the invoice there was a $15k discount making it $143 Canadian or about $106k US, plus, as I mentioned, on paper they gave me what seemed a very generous trade in allowance on my truck and trailer (which really meant more of a discount - of course I was only concerned about the bottom line figure that I had to pay, rather than what was shown as discount versus was shown as trade in! discount!)

As someone has mentioned, if you only plan on keeping your van a couple of years, it seems you would lose a whole lot less money when selling if you bought one that was a couple of years old.

As well, any initial issues (And very often there are some!) would be ironed out by the previous owner.

You would still have some chassis warranty left, and if you wanted, you could buy an RV warranty - though I probably would not and would just take my chances on maybe having to repair or replace a major appliance.

Brian.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 04:32 AM   #43

Hi Laura. Small world, but I was just at that dealer yesterday and tried to negotiate a reasonable price for that very RV. They wouldn't go lower than 120,000, just 5k below their already-absurd asking price. When I told him I knew that was more than it cost brand new 2.5 years ago, the salesman was pretty much done with me and walked away and claimed he already had a buyer who agreed to 120,000. It was a pretty awful sales experience, I haven't had that kind of experience since the last time I bought a used car from a dealer over 20 years ago. I didn't go into the negotiations with unreasonable expectations, I just didn't want to be the sucker. I don't plan on having anything to do with them again after that treatment.

Anyway, if you do proceed with these guys (and I certainly can't recommend it given my experience), here's a couple things I can tell you about the RV:
- It looks to be in pretty good condition, but there is definite wear in the leather and the cabinetry. It's very low mileage, but I wouldn't take that to mean that it has sat in storage most of its life, just that the owners took it on shorter trips. Given the abundance of great camping here in the Northwest, you can spend an awful lot of time in an RV without having to go very far.
- It was originally purchased in July of 2016 for $112,900. How do I know this? Well, in the RV was a bag of manuals and such, and when I looked through it while I was left alone in the RV, I saw a blue folder, and in it was the original sale papers. That price seems about right given that MSRP for this unit would have been $122,000 plus whatever PW charged in 2016 for the one option on it, a single solar panel.
- It's on consignment. If Johnson said 108,000 is less than "what they paid for it", that's a lie, they haven't actually paid anything. Maybe it's more than what they're able to sell it for, but I find it hard to imagine that the current owners didn't agree to something well below that figure.

Best of luck!
brianh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 06:46 AM   #44

Hi everyone. I'm new both to this forum and to RV'ing. We've been avid campers all our lives and a little tired of sleeping on the ground. Add to that the fact we are nearing retirement and the thought of doing some travelling in this great part of the world make buying an RV appealing. We've narrowed our search down to a PW XLMB and are looking for some current owners who may be able to give us some feedback on their experience with the unit. We love the PW quality and the XL gives a bit more space than the regular B models. Just wondering about the Murphy bed experience and if that layout works for you. One thing we have noticed is that the with model has less light coming in due to the bed covering the window when up. Any input you can give would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
CDNBKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:49 PM   #45
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNBKR View Post
Hi everyone. I'm new both to this forum and to RV'ing. We've been avid campers all our lives and a little tired of sleeping on the ground. Add to that the fact we are nearing retirement and the thought of doing some travelling in this great part of the world make buying an RV appealing. We've narrowed our search down to a PW XLMB and are looking for some current owners who may be able to give us some feedback on their experience with the unit. We love the PW quality and the XL gives a bit more space than the regular B models. Just wondering about the Murphy bed experience and if that layout works for you. One thing we have noticed is that the with model has less light coming in due to the bed covering the window when up. Any input you can give would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum CDNBKR!

rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:32 PM   #46

I ended up with a new Pleasure Way 2019 Ascent (2018 chassis) with the silver exterior and white/charcoal interior. I had no idea 2019's even existed since zero were available a week ago. Looks like they are trickling in now in small amounts across the country.

I pick mine up on Wednesday. I am really glad I ended up with a brand new van and the exact interior I wanted without having to order a new one which would have been at least 5 months and way more expensive.

So excited to be joining the Class B lifestyle!
Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:47 PM   #47

Same van. Completely different experience. Everything works. No complaints.
breezeway95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 12:41 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianh View Post
Hi Laura. Small world, but I was just at that dealer yesterday and tried to negotiate a reasonable price for that very RV. They wouldn't go lower than 120,000, just 5k below their already-absurd asking price. When I told him I knew that was more than it cost brand new 2.5 years ago, the salesman was pretty much done with me and walked away and claimed he already had a buyer who agreed to 120,000. It was a pretty awful sales experience, I haven't had that kind of experience since the last time I bought a used car from a dealer over 20 years ago. I didn't go into the negotiations with unreasonable expectations, I just didn't want to be the sucker. I don't plan on having anything to do with them again after that treatment.

Anyway, if you do proceed with these guys (and I certainly can't recommend it given my experience), here's a couple things I can tell you about the RV:
- It looks to be in pretty good condition, but there is definite wear in the leather and the cabinetry. It's very low mileage, but I wouldn't take that to mean that it has sat in storage most of its life, just that the owners took it on shorter trips. Given the abundance of great camping here in the Northwest, you can spend an awful lot of time in an RV without having to go very far.
- It was originally purchased in July of 2016 for $112,900. How do I know this? Well, in the RV was a bag of manuals and such, and when I looked through it while I was left alone in the RV, I saw a blue folder, and in it was the original sale papers. That price seems about right given that MSRP for this unit would have been $122,000 plus whatever PW charged in 2016 for the one option on it, a single solar panel.
- It's on consignment. If Johnson said 108,000 is less than "what they paid for it", that's a lie, they haven't actually paid anything. Maybe it's more than what they're able to sell it for, but I find it hard to imagine that the current owners didn't agree to something well below that figure.

Best of luck!
I wanted to reply to this post publicly to be helpful to anyone else looking at these although you and I already chatted via pm... since i never saw this post.. thanks for reaching out to me... I was traveling and skiing in the mountains.

I also found my experience with that sales person very strange. So glad neither of us were suckered by that pricing, so ridiculous. Not hard to be taken in since it is difficult for the public to determine what fair prices are, especially during this time of scarcity.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:29 PM   #49
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianh View Post

Best of luck!
So the cat is our of the proverbial bag with the original sales invoice being found. Given that, and the fact it's on consignment; the owner may be taking a hard line with their minimum walk-away price. It'll be based on their perception of what they think it's worth and what they believe the market will allow. The dealer is also wanting a minimum payment for brokering the deal so they end up with a number they can't go below, whether they believe it's right or not.

Realtors have to dance this dance all the time. Homeowners believe their house is worth more than what the market dictates.
Anachr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:08 PM   #50

There is a scarcity which is part of their leverage but these vans are trickling in and there are now several new ones out there. He is banking on an uneducated impulsive buyer.

Not Us!

Laura
Old 03-10-2019, 11:43 PM   #51

Default Lexor black tank

Pleasure Way owners,
Is the black tank on the newer Lexor’s directly below the toilet or offset? I want to buy a rinse wand for it and wondering if Pleasure Way owners use straight wand or flexible?
Deputydawg45 is offline   Reply With Quote