Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2018, 03:29 AM   #21
Platinum Member

Default Pleasure-Way

Ultramobility (a YouTube channel) has a review of the PW ascent he published today. Interestingly his complaints are not the same as the members of this forum.

But one of the big points he made was about the advantages of the short length of the ascent. Keeping it under 20 feet for on street parking.

Given that the ProMaster is wider than the Sprinter and most can sleep crosswise in the back, it seems it’s an ideal platform for a short RV. Yet the Lexor is the longer wheelbase chassis.

I would take out the ottomans and make a 50 inch deep bed across the back. Several feet of savings there. (And use a small table up front plus cab chairs for the “lounge”)

While we are at it, make the back bed permanent and raise it up a bit so there is more storage underneath.

Gah. I don’t want to build my own, but why isn’t anyone building this?

ROADtrek has their SRT models- and the simplicity is great— but no option for lithium on it. (Thee is the Zion SRT too but concerned about the small black tank.)
Technomadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:21 AM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technomadness View Post
ROADtrek has their SRT models- and the simplicity is great— but no option for lithium on it. (There is the Zion SRT too but concerned about the small black tank.)
I looked at the first born Simplicities and it seemed like their work was a little slapdash. Perhaps it's improved with the passage of time. If you like the Simplicity layout, RT offers the underhood generator option + a 2kw inverter/converter and according to their brochure, up to 800ah AGM. If you are committed to lithium batteries you could order it with the minimum AGM capacity, strip it out and install lithiums. With the underhood generator already in place that project is simplified. I believe the converter can be programmed for shoreside charging parameters for lithium charging.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:34 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:

Given that the ProMaster is wider than the Sprinter and most can sleep crosswise in the back, it seems it’s an ideal platform for a short RV. Yet the Lexor is the longer wheelbase chassis.

I would take out the ottomans and make a 50 inch deep bed across the back. Several feet of savings there. (And use a small table up front plus cab chairs for the “lounge”)

While we are at it, make the back bed permanent and raise it up a bit so there is more storage underneath.

Gah. I don’t want to build my own, but why isn’t anyone building this?
You are very close to describing my self-build, and I've never seen anything like it commercially built. I, too, do not understand why not. Even with no upper cabinets, I have plenty of storage for a three-month excursion, yet the two of us can actually walk around at the same time in a 17'9" PM.

I have posted my build site here. It is so simple, you could hire it built and still come out ahead monetarily.
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:39 PM   #24
Platinum Member

I think that the manufacturers may be thinking, maybe correctly, that the market for crosswise sleeping is limited. Fine for single travelers and the young, but not so much for the mature market.

Over the years on this forum, it is often listed as a deal breaker for a lot of shoppers. I know DW would not even consider one when we were originally trying to decide what to get.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:46 PM   #25
Platinum Member

We are older and slept lengthwise for 10 years. For us, crosswise is a huge plus. Lengthwise, MrNomer never learned how to get out of bed without taking the covers with him, so when I felt him getting up, I'd have to grab the covers and hang on for dear life.
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 03:12 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
We are older and slept lengthwise for 10 years. For us, crosswise is a huge plus. Lengthwise, MrNomer never learned how to get out of bed without taking the covers with him, so when I felt him getting up, I'd have to grab the covers and hang on for dear life.
I'm betting that he will still be able to take the covers with him. (it's a skill)

Crosswise is OK as long as only one of you has to get up during the night. Most people wake up when someone crawls across them at night. Best case is twins for those of us who need to get up...
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 03:18 PM   #27
Platinum Member

If you want to sleep crosswise maybe will benefit from a TURP.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:24 AM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
l

I have posted my build site here. It is so simple, you could hire it built and still come out ahead monetarily.

I checked it out- that’s what I call the #VanLife layout- bed-storage-kitchen and I agree it could be built much cheaper than buying an RV. Part of the reason building myself is so tempting. You have lots of great ideas in your build— I really love the table-on-drawer slides!

The one thing keeping me on the buy can build side right now is wanting a bathroom. I can build one I’m sure, but haven’t quite worked out a way to do it I like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2018, 12:24 AM   #29
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
If you want to sleep crosswise maybe will benefit from a TURP.

A what???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2018, 12:45 AM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
A what???
Don't ask.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:47 AM   #31
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Don't ask.
Yep, Google and grimace!
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:52 AM   #32
BBQ
Platinum Member

LOL

Old 02-24-2018, 12:52 AM   #33
Platinum Member

“I'm attempting it and it will be nothing like anything on the market today”.

Now you know why Dave’s new B will be really different.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:46 PM   #34

Default Dazed and confused! A newbie!

Recently purchased a lexor TS for all the reasons listed. A few things that may or may not be issues. Only 7" of clearance under generator. We are concerned about going down unpaved roads to dry camp. We weren't offered options such as any security system, lights that automatically go on when slider or cargo doors are opened. This is our first real RV-only used remade van so electronics etc a bit daunting.
Any advice re the generator esp would be appreciated!
Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 11:36 PM   #35

Have a Chevy-based Pleasureway Lexor. Overall, a solid build. My complaints are somewhat minor.....like poor latches, lack of smart storage, cheap window coverings, "gravity is better" pitch for emptying tanks, bad seat bets, very cheap decals cracked within 1st year, only 1 battery and space for only 1 battery, etc. It would also be nice if they would have improved the Chevy side with simple fixes like better shocks, Safe-T plus, dash upgrades, etc. The plumbing is great, the seats are great, the top build is great, the electrical is great. I would suggest doing more research on the actual van itself. I love that mine is Chevy, parts are relatively cheap and easy to find, repair shops are easy to find, van tows much more than many of the new class b models, etc. I wish more companies were still using Chevy. I also wish Chevy came up with a new and upgraded van so more RV companies would use Chevy.
pwlextex is offline   Reply With Quote