Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2007, 12:49 AM   #1

Default Pleasure-Way instability & Roadmaster suspension add on?

Hey guys,

I pick up my new 2008 PW Excel TS this coming Wednesday. Let's talk about the PW instability on the Ford chassis especially in x-winds.

I'd like to hear from PW owners. Do the rear air bags solve the problem or should I consider adding the after market Roadmaster Active suspension system?

I owned a 95 RT ( 190 Popular) on the Dodge chassis for 2 years and road handling was never a problem.
bushpilotmexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 02:02 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I don't recall reading much about Excel owners and handling problems. Maybe some PW owners will comment on their experience.

You'll probably find that by experimenting with tire pressure and air bag pressure you'll achieve a comfortable ride for you.

RT recommended 50 front and 80 rear on my 190P but I liked 65 front and 80 rear. It felt better to me at those pressures.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 03:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
I don't recall reading much about Excel owners and handling problems. Maybe some PW owners will comment on their experience.

You'll probably find that by experimenting with tire pressure and air bag pressure you'll achieve a comfortable ride for you.

RT recommended 50 front and 80 rear on my 190P but I liked 65 front and 80 rear. It felt better to me at those pressures.

They say that it's caused by the shorter wheel base of the Ford chassis compared to let's say the Chevy. Suppoesedly the new 2008 chassis has a better suspension.

In 1995 I bought a 190 Popular and kept it for 2 years the road handling on the Dodge chassis was excellent.

I'd appreciate any comments by PW drivers.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:04 AM   #4

I've had replies on other forums and I'm going to call PW this Monday and ask if they recommend it. The word is that it might conflict with the air bag system.

I will post the info I get from PW.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:34 PM   #5

Talked with Dean at PW and he said that they didn't feel that the Roadmaster add on was necessary but add it if you wish. Nothing said about negating the warranty.

The air bags have nothing to do with stability just the ability to level the coach depending on what your carrying or hauling.

I have a 1300 mile drive bringing it home so I think I will drive it first and make a decision later. As Dean said they handle like a truck and not like a car.