Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2017, 07:07 PM   #1

Default Pleasure Way Plateau cabinet problems

We are owners of 1 year old Pleasure Way Plateau TS. All of the cabinet doors have been problematic. The cabinet joints appear to have swollen and as a result there is inadequate clearance to adequately open and/or close doors. Similar problems with any joints on trim pieces.

The cabinet doors have been replaced and the problem recurs.

The vent on the unit has been kept open to allow ventilation with a Maxxair cover in place. The climate we live in is moderate although the winters get damp.

Has anybody has similar problems with a newer Pleasure Way model? We are now four months into trying to get this resolved with no success. The response from Pleasure Way has not been impressive to say the least.
jk3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:57 PM   #2
BBQ
Platinum Member

Do you think you have a leak somewhere?

You should give PW a call again;
the company is owner operated, they take pride in their work. I would like to see what they can do for you.

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:04 PM   #3
Platinum Member

You say the cabinet doors have been replaced and the problem continues; I would make direct contact with PleasureWay. They sure don't want any owners with problems like this, especially after the doors have been replaced..and it doesn't work out. Have you checked out the PW Owner's Group, they may have others with problems similar, or had a problem and how they got it resolved. Stay on them, Ron.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:13 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Call PW, they'll make it right for you.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:28 PM   #5

Thanks for suggestions .. no leaks in unit

Pleasure Way has been aware of the problem - they replaced cabinet doors. This has been ongoing without a fix for more than three months ... dealer and pleasure way informed of problem at the beginning of February.

No resolution in site.

Given cost of these units I have not been impressed with the service to date
Old 05-19-2017, 09:29 PM   #6

you are more optimistic about PW than I am at this point as they have had 3 months to "make it right"
Old 05-19-2017, 09:33 PM   #7

I do not know of a PW owners group forum ... only a contact email ...
If there is a PW owners group forum on the web I would be happy to be directed there ...I was hoping someone has had a resolution for this problem
Old 05-19-2017, 09:47 PM   #8
Platinum Member

It sounds like maybe it could be a frame problem rather than the doors themselves. Perhaps the door materials were unstable, damp, whatever, and have shrunk or distorted enough to bind nomal sized doors.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:51 PM   #9
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk3805 View Post
I do not know of a PW owners group forum ... only a contact email ...
If there is a PW owners group forum on the web I would be happy to be directed there ...I was hoping someone has had a resolution for this problem
There is a Facebook group for PW owners only.
It is a closed group. ie the posts are not viewable by the public.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:59 PM   #10
Platinum Member

If you don't see any relief forthcoming, it is time to have a lawyer send a letter to Pleasure Way threatening to sue them. That usually gets their attention real quick...they don't this going public via the news media. Ron
Old 05-20-2017, 07:21 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron J. Moore View Post
If you don't see any relief forthcoming, it is time to have a lawyer send a letter to Pleasure Way threatening to sue them. That usually gets their attention real quick...they don't this going public via the news media. Ron
Here's my 2 cents. It's not intended to be legal advice, and you may not like what I have to say. I used to be the Customer Service guy on the other end of the phone. The company had nothing to do with RVs and they honestly cared about customers. Part of my job was to deal with the angriest people and I learned that there are ways to be a more effective angry customer. A lot of people would rather rant and rave than solve a problem. I know ranting and raving may feel good at the time, but would you want to listen to it? I don't think so. Anyway, here goes:

1. Have a single point of contact at the company.
How are you communicating with PleasureWay? Are you communicating with a specific person there, or are you communicating through your dealer? The most efficient and effective way to deal with a company is often to have a specific designated point of contact. You can avoid having to repeat yourself. If you're going through your dealer, because there's another human in the chain of communication, there are going to be misunderstandings.

2. Communicate clearly with the company.
Have you sent PW photos or videos with exact measurements attached? A phrase like "doesn't fit" or "it's swollen" over the phone will leave PW (or any company for that matter) taking stabs in the dark. They will probably continue to send you parts hoping that one of them will take care of the problem. That's not because they're irresponsible or don't care about customers. They just have no specific idea of what's going on and without detailed info, they're operating blindly.

3. Answer all of the company's questions, even if you think they're dumb.
Have you given **detailed** answers to all of their questions? The person on the other end of a phone call will ask what you may think are dumb questions, but they're not standing next to you. They just don't know. Use your cell phone, get in your RV and then call them from inside. That's a more efficient way to get their questions answered, while you can see exactly what they're talking about. If it helps you organize your thoughts, put the questions and your answers in writing.

4. Do all that you can to eliminate causes that might be obvious or probable.
After an inspection, has the dealer certified in writing that you have no leaks, ventilation or AC problems? Has your dealer certified in writing that your RV did not go through a flood while sitting on their lot? Water and excessively high humidity can cause wood to warp, swell and twist, whether it's from PleasureWay or anybody else.

In my experience, a reputable lawyer will ask you to do the above steps before taking your money for the case. At the same time, you probably can find an attorney who will take your hard earned dollars and then find a specific person at PW (step 1), send them photos and send written details (steps 2 and 3) and then have the dealer do step 4. Given the hourly rate for any attorney, you'd probably be broke quickly. You can do all 4 steps yourself, and probably more quickly than an attorney could. In any case, a lawsuit will probably take years to resolve.

Additionally, given all of the seriously crazy and violent stuff happening around the world these days, I wouldn't count on the news media paying attention to cabinet doors that don't fit. If they did, they'd probably ask you if you did steps 1-4. If you haven't, then they probably wouldn't pay much attention to your issue.

I won't say, "Give PleasureWay a chance" but I will advise that you help them figure out the problem, instead of assuming that they don't care. Sometimes what looks like a simple problem to you, is much more complex than you think. It may take a while to get to the bottom of it all. From all that I've read about PW and in my limited dealings with them, they don't seem like the kind of company that would send you some duct tape and tell you to go away. They're probably really trying to fix things so that your issue is resolved and so that the problem doesn't happen to anyone else.

Help them and they're much more likely to help you.
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 01:27 PM   #12
Platinum Member

SiennaGuy, Thank you and it is so right, and i wished all companies subscribe to that standard. You laid it out clearly and succinctly. I really feel for these folks...they paid out a huge sum! Ron
Old 05-20-2017, 01:33 PM   #13
Bronze Member

There is a owner's group you can join, it's on Yahoo. They have 3 chapters, 2 in the U.S. and 1 in Canada. You could join all 3 of them to get more of an audience about your problem. Here is the link to join:
Pleasure-Way Industries Owner's Club
Old 05-20-2017, 01:37 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron J. Moore View Post
SiennaGuy, Thank you and it is so right, and i wished all companies subscribe to that standard. You laid it out clearly and succinctly. I really feel for these folks...they paid out a huge sum! Ron
I would agree. IMO, in general, it is not a good idea to even mention potential litigation until it gets to the point you know you very likely will need to do it as a last resort. If it is mentioned early on, or as a threat, you can lose all cooperation from the company, and they will then be extremely protective of their information, never being will to admit there could be a problem that they could be held responsible for in court because of what they said. Many companies also look at early legal threats as someone who is just looking for a payday. If you do wind up in court, you are way, way, ahead if you can point to the fact you worked with the company for a long time, and cooperated on everything they wanted, but it is still unresolved and not fixed.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 02:02 AM   #15

I have a 2017 Ascent and have not had any problems with either the cabinets or PW communicating with me. I've been in contact with Grant Waters who seems to be very responsive and helpful. I did have to adjust a cabinet door using the hinge adjustments recently but that's to be expected after you buy a unit and things start to settle a bit. its an obvious question but have you tried to adjust the doors using the screws on the hinges? it sounds like this may solve your problem as the hinges are designed to adjust in both directions.
neilbalthaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 05:36 PM   #16

Default 2017 Pleasure Way Plateau xlts transmission issues

Hi there,
We just purchased(last weekend) a 2017 Pleasure Way Plateau XLTS. Drove it home from California and it has an obvious transmission issue. It's a 3.0 L V6 Mercedes Diesel engine. Does anyone know if these are common issues with them? Trying to get it into a dealership that will honor the warranty but needless to say, we are extremely disappointed. Our electric step quit working on the way home as well....did we just get a lemon? Anyone else have issues like these?
Reminders12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 07:52 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reminders12 View Post
Hi there,
....................and it has an obvious transmission issue. ..................
Not so obvious for a reader, specifically what is it. I have 2013 model and never had issues with transmission.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:54 PM   #18

There is a distinct noise and vibration when you step on the gas. I was just wondering if anyone else has had issues with the Mercedes Benz diesel turbo engine.
Reminders12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:38 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reminders12 View Post
There is a distinct noise and vibration when you step on the gas. I was just wondering if anyone else has had issues with the Mercedes Benz diesel turbo engine.
Have you had the wheel balance and alignment checked?
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:08 AM   #20

Can't help with transmission problem. The step issue may be a problem with the magnetic switch in the door frame. Place a magnet next to the switch on the door frame and see what happens. If the step activates you have at least isolated the problem. When I tried this on my 2016 PW Plateau, the non-functioning step activated and has been fine ever since.
Tell Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabinet problems, pleasure way