Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2015, 11:45 PM   #1
Gold Member

Default Pleasure Way warranty... is this true?

Hello __ & _____

I totally understand where you are coming from with so many choices with extended warranty(s). Your new diesel engine is covered by the Mercedes chassis warranty. However, as for the remaining coach itself, items such as the fridge, roof air conditioner, stove, etc. are not covered under the Pleasure Ways 5 year freedom warranty. The only items that are covered under the 5 year freedom warranty are items that are manufactured by Pleasure-Way and this does not include anything manufactured by a different company and then installed by Pleasure-Way.

Really?
sheral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 11:53 PM   #2
Platinum Member

That's fairly typical. Appliances have their own warranties.

Check this link for warranty comparisons: http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5...13-a-2545.html
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 12:02 AM   #3
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
That's fairly typical. Appliances have their own warranties.

Check this link for warranty comparisons: http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5...13-a-2545.html
Thanks for that. Would it be safe to assume that most 'installed equipment' only carries a one year warranty from the manufacturer? And are we on the hook then for removal/reinstallation etc?
Old 11-13-2015, 12:41 AM   #4
Platinum Member

I had a longer response typed up but my forum login timed out & I lost it.

In short, I looked at Airstream, Leisure Travel, Advanced RV, Safari Condo, Winnebago & Roadtrek warranties. The Roadtrek warranty was the only one that explicitly covered the appliances, but even then it was only after the appliance warranty ran out.

The Winnebago warranty didn't exclude appliances (afaik - i couldn't find a full warranty statement, just a summary on their website) but since it's only a 12 month warranty it's unlikely to actually make a difference (I assume that Winnebago, like Roadtrek, would have you exhaust the manufacturers warranty first).

The Safari Condo warranty covers only what Safari Condo builds, which implicitly excludes the appliances.

The others explicitly exclude appliances & components from their RV warranties like Pleasure-Way does.
Old 11-13-2015, 01:37 AM   #5
Gold Member

thanks for the detailed response. i had looked into the Road Trek warranty - and because we moved quickly to secure a PW Ascent before the swivel seats disappeared - i wrongly assumed the PW warranty would be similar... drats.

"August 24, 2015– Roadtrek, the leading class B manufacturer in North America, launches an all-new six year, Peace of Mind, motorhome warranty.

Roadtrek has always prided itself on quality, our customer expect it and we will continue to provide it on every model and product we offer.” states Jim Hammill, President and CEO of Roadtrek. “Our new warranty is a testament to the quality of our products and our commitment to our customers. We want Roadtrek owners to travel with peace of mind, knowing we are behind them every mile of the road.”

Roadtrek’s new six year warranty covers the manufacture of the motorhome, appliances, electronics, plumbing and EcoTrek batteries. The warranty excludes the complete chassis and AGM batteries which have a normal one year manufacturer’s warranty

The new warranty coverage went into effect at the beginning of August and is being applied to new vehicles sold by Roadtrek dealers as of August 1st 2015.
"
Old 11-13-2015, 01:33 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Warranty preference can be an interesting discussion.

I'd prefer to save the money up front & DIY later if ever needed. I have the basic skills needed but I realize lot's of people can't or simply don't want to DIY. A long warranty would be comforting to them.

Warranty length or coverage would be further down my list than most folks I think. I buy used also so warranty is hardly a thought.

My van was cobbled together from some parts previously used in another van by the original owner/builder.

The fridge is from 1994. Works great.
One solar panel from 1994.
Microwave oven owner manual has 12/91 on it.
Water pump replaced once in 18 years.
The charger receipt shows 1978 - I decided to upgrade that!
The stove is early 1990's for sure.
The furnace would be late 1990's.
I replace the water heater - I think water was allowed to freeze in the original water heater after the owner passed away. The tank had distorted.

Any money spent on long warranties on those item would have been wasted in this case.

I did have a newer inverter replaced under warranty. That was just take the inverter back to the store and they handed me a new one.

I had two items to be dealt with under warranty on a newly purchased used coach. The dealer screwed up both. One was fairly minor to correct by me - Onan 4kw gen float bowl reinstall after they somehow managed to twist the wires so much that they looked like twist ties. The other was fairly major as I had to drop and dismantle the propane tank and replace parts. The dealer broke off the float in the tank and couldn't find a replacement after 30 days trying. I pulled the coach from them, located the part with one phone call and had it by the end of the week.

You can see how my experience forms my opinion on this subject
Old 11-13-2015, 01:43 PM   #7
Gold Member

Yes I can see why warranty doesn't make 'cents' for you. Absolutely.

Although I have always done my own wrenching on things and have to because we live off grid, the Class B will be staying on the mainland (we live on a small island). The location of it and lack of my tools being there etc cause me some concern and points to why a good warranty is compelling.

I didn't do my homework and I confess. But I am surprised that Road Trek's warranty coverage is so much broader than Pleasure Ways!
Old 11-13-2015, 02:01 PM   #8
Platinum Member

You made a decision I assume because you preferred the Ascent in some or many ways to a Roadtrek (Agile I would assume.) You would change your mind for a less in quality B just for warranties? Insurance companies would love you. You realize statistically companies make money on warranties meaning the odds are against you. I would rather take my odds buying better quality. If you use your B just about any warrantable item defect will show up in the standard year.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 02:14 PM   #9
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
You made a decision I assume because you preferred the Ascent in some or many ways to a Roadtrek (Agile I would assume.) You would change your mind for a less in quality B just for warranties? Insurance companies would love you. You realize statistically companies make money on warranties meaning the odds are against you. I would rather take my odds buying better quality. If you use your B just about any warrantable item defect will show up in the standard year.
Thanks. I here ya. Yes, I have never purchased an extended warranty for anything and have always ended up ahead. However to be honest, next to a home this is the largest purchase we have made... I don't think at the end of the day we will purchase an extended warranty for the Ascent - but find the difference in warranty coverages between manufacturers surprising, considering the apparent competition in the market.

You are right, we did choose the Ascent over the RT for what we still feel are important issues. Oddly though it was reading some of the warranty issues that RT was having that also added to our decision.

Haha... I know life is about compromise.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:14 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Good point about tools - I needed a 1 3/8" socket for the propane tank job. Huge thing!

And a correction re: the dealer onan repair. It wasn't the float bowl - it was the solenoid at the base of the float bowl iirc.

The dealer was on Vancouver Island. Here's a photo of the twisted wires:

onan solenoid.JPG

It wasn't hard to redo properly but amazing that they thought that was an acceptable reinstall of the solenoid. The wires were wound so tight I'm surprised they didn't break.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:31 PM   #11
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
Good point about tools - I needed a 1 3/8" socket for the propane tank job. Huge thing!

And a correction re: the dealer onan repair. It wasn't the float bowl - it was the solenoid at the base of the float bowl iirc.

The dealer was on Vancouver Island. Here's a photo of the twisted wires:

Attachment 2922

It wasn't hard to redo properly but amazing that they thought that was an acceptable reinstall of the solenoid. The wires were wound so tight I'm surprised they didn't break.

Wow, where did you find a socket that big?

Hmmmm... we will likely be getting any needed warranty work done on Van Island... I will PM you if you don't mind...
Old 11-13-2015, 02:58 PM   #12
Platinum Member

3/4" drive too, I had to buy an adapter.

I have another DIY propane tank job to do when I run out of propane. The old style "Auto Stop" all in one fill & bleed valve confuses filling attendants. They never know how it operates so I have the parts needed to upgrade it to the new style separate fill and bleed valves. I'll have to borrow a 1 3/4" capable wrench for that job.

No problem with a pm. It wasn't Peden and they were a PW dealer when I lived there.
Old 11-14-2015, 12:12 AM   #13
Gold Member

Thank you Sir! (markopolo).