Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2018, 01:12 AM   #1

Default Pleasureway Plateau FL vs Winnebago Era 70x

Checkbook is in hand and after 2 years of looking at almost every class B out there I have narrowed it down to these final contenders,mot some hope!

Does anyone have any insight on one over the other or their personal perspectives!? The PW's quality is second to none in my opinion and I really like the galley on the passengers side, makes driving and seeing the blind spots on that side a non issue. The Era has some nice benefits, price being one. I was quoted $110,000 and change for a fully loaded 4x4 Era and $139,000 for the PW loaded. The PW does have some added benefits, 2 lithium ion batteries and 85w solar but no 4x4. I do appreciate the 5 year coach warranty PW has but struggle over the $29,000 difference.

Oh the dilemma, maybe an easier decision over a glass of wine!
RangerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:11 AM   #2
Platinum Member

How long realistically will you keep the RV?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Technomadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:22 PM   #3
Bud
Platinum Member

"and I really like the galley on the passengers side, makes driving and seeing the blind spots on that side a non issue."

Hi RangerEd,

That is a "non issue" to begin with. Yes, I know that PW claims that, but think about it.

I had never thought about the subject until I purchased a B from the son of a retired trucker and wife. His father had passed away and his mother went to assisted living. I was driving the less than 2 year old Roadtrek. He commented on the small mirrors that his dad had mounted on the side mirrors and that they did not make any sense. I did not have a chance during the short drive to judge but would have bet they made sense. Later I confirmed they really really work.

I can see it all with the two mirrors. Many vehicles don't have a bunch of windows on the sides. I suggest that you erase that advantage with the PW. Not that a galley on one side vs the other isn't an advantage, it probably is for many of us.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:23 PM   #4
Gold Member

Just my opinion the galley on the passenger side is nice but I don't quite understand the blind spot situation either, that's what the mirrors are for, but to prep food and drinks the camp side of the rig and just hand it all down to the guests on the chairs under the awning is the main plus for us.
Old 02-23-2018, 05:40 PM   #5
BBQ
Platinum Member

There are pros and cons of everything.

The Winnebago is cheaper because it is cheaper.
Open the cabinet doors and drawers and you will see staples everywhere.

Open the PW cabinets and you will see solid maple and high/med density boards with screws and metal brackets and proper joinery craftsmanship.

The solar/battery system in the ERA is basic. You cannot get more basic (cheap) than that. Which is not a bad thing, because in a few years you can rip out everything out and install the latest and bestest solar/lithium or whatever fuel cell technology at the time.
Old 02-23-2018, 05:45 PM   #6
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche911 View Post
Just my opinion the galley on the passenger side is nice but I don't quite understand the blind spot situation either, that's what the mirrors are for, but to prep food and drinks the camp side of the rig and just hand it all down to the guests on the chairs under the awning is the main plus for us.
+1

Go sit in the driver's chair.
You are so high up, you will not see the roof of a Toyota Corolla.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:50 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I agree the galley in the side is not a critical feature, it’s more a nice to have — and probably for some drivers being “blind” there would be annoying because they are in the habit of looking directly.

I find the wide angle mirrors to be a bit less effective than I like.

These days side view cameras are pretty cheap, well less than $200.

So my plan is to get one for each side and a dedicated monitor for it on the dash.

So when I look to the right I can see the two mirrors and the monitor over there all in one glance.

No such thing as too much visibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Technomadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:02 AM   #8
Bud
Platinum Member

"So my plan is to get one for each side and a dedicated monitor for it on the dash."

When is this? When do you plan to start?

Thanks.

Bud
Old 02-24-2018, 12:05 AM   #9
Site Team

The Plateau FL comes with the MB active safety package, which includes blind-spot detection. It is very effective. I would NEVER buy another vehicle without this feature. Good mirrors are nice, but radar is far more effective.

If you want a random opinion, go with the Pleasureway. The layout is very similar to our no-longer-available GWV Legend. ARV copied this floorpan, and with good reason.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 05:08 AM   #10
Platinum Member

I have an older PW Plateau TS, I liked the kitchen on the passenger side because it felt more open when the door was open. As for blind side visibility, I added the largest convex mirrors that would work on the side mirrors. I moved them around on the mirrors to find the best visibility before sticking them in their permanent locations. They work really well, night is a little harder but I don't drive a lot at night.

I'm pretty good about keeping track of where trucks, cars, motorcycles and bicyclists are while I'm driving without having to check the passenger side windows except Los Angeles. There have been a few times I was glad I could look through them, one time I asked my SO to check his side, he said it was clear and when I looked out the side windows I saw a car.

You may never need that extra visibility, if I want to go somewhere and stay in the US I have a choice drive through LA or east through the desert so it's common for me to drive through the crazy traffic in LA, with their heavy traffic, lots of stop and go plus drivers who dart in and out. Most places won't be that hectic.

Both models are nice, you'll probably be happy with either one. I don't know if all Class Bs are this way or not but mine doesn't squeak or rattle while driving down the road like other RVs I've been in.

Good luck
Lennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 02:45 PM   #11
Platinum Member

The galley on the passenger side has several advantages in a Sprinter.

1. The tall cabinets are directly behind the driver so you are not aware of them while driving.

2. the galley on the passenger side exposes all the windows to view including the sliding door window. It give the interior a more open view experience. Usually a tall bathroom blocks the window at the sliding door with a driver side galley.

3. With the exposed windows on the passenger side you are fully aware of traffic approaching and passing you that rear view side mirrors don't pick up as soon. It is a safety feature and your center rear view mirror adds more awareness.

4. The galley on the passenger side is usually 16" deep because there is no microwave or under counter refrigerator to accommodate. That allows anywhere from 4" to 8" aisle space for two people to actually get by each other and a more spacious feeling interior.

5. The driver side galley usually has an under counter refrigerator and/or microwave. Both bad designs. You can alleviate that with a tall cabinet but then you have deep tall cabinets on both sides of your van and further narrows your aisle space.

6. Driver side bathrooms mostly are deeper and more comfortable without the protruding klunky expandable doors.

7. Most like to have a window when they work at a kitchen galley. A passenger side galley looks over the activity of your camping space. A passenger side galley intrudes over the next door neighbor camping space. I guess if you are a nosy voyeur you don't mind that.

I don't know the history of Roadtrek but they got on the wrong foot years ago and never recovered. Leisure Travel Vans, Pleasure-way, and Great West Vans took a more practical design approach to the Sprinter. Advanced RV's basic design was just logical since the Owner had previously both a Pleasure-Way and Great West Van Sprinter and actually used them. Many of the other companies, assuming that Roadtrek was the number 1 seller, copied their galley side plan, foolishly I believe. Airstream recovered with their Grand Tour Sprinter design.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 02:55 PM   #12
Bud
Platinum Member

"With the exposed windows on the passenger side you are fully aware of traffic approaching and passing you that rear view side mirrors don't pick up as soon."

I don't understand that. I can see for miles with the side mirror and off to the side with the small mirror attached.

Bud
Old 02-24-2018, 03:03 PM   #13

Default Mechanicals

Can anyone comment on the difference in the Atwood furnace in the PW vs the Truma Combi Unit in WBGO's. Is the Atwood efficient on gas/electric and how about noise?

I appreciate all the feedback on the passenger side galley, I agree that what really makes it nice is having it on the 'camp' side giving a more open feel. Safety aspects are a bonus!

On huge advantage I noticed immediately was the comfort of the PW sofa and benches. The dual foam construction makes it very comfortable where as the WBGO felt thin and most owners need an additional pad to sleep comfortably.

Lastly, has anyone really ever needed 4x4, this would be the only selling point where I would consider the Era over the Plateau. I have heard people getting stuck in dips where a rear wheel set will raise ever so slightly off the ground rendering the unit stuck, the power goes to the free wheels. I know common sense should prevail and not get a person in such a situation however 'Stuff Happens'. And what about folks that take their rigs into winter environments to ski or those that live in snow country and head out in the winter - does the 2wd suffice?

Thank you all for your input, Monday sounds like a good day to make a final decision!

Ed
RangerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 03:48 PM   #14
Silver Member

This is a great comparison. As it reminds me of my current search for the "perfect rig". The PW is at or near the top of class Bs when it comes to quality of interior components. No doubt. Are there negatives? Maybe... The fridge is a bit small for my taste, 3.8 cubic feet compared to 6 on the Winnebago. The PW also lists it as 3-way vs. the compressor on the Era. That's not optimal to me.

The PW has similar fresh water capacity, 25 gallons vs. 24 on the Era. But the PW has a stronger grey water and black water tank capacity (19 grey and 9 black on the winnebag, and 35 grey 10 black on PW). While both these configurations are a little odd, I'd assume you could at least top of the PW fresh water in between dumps. That shouldn't be overlooked.

All in all, it comes down to your personal use. The extra space to fit more chairs on the Winnebago comes with a 24 ft 3 inch length. 23 feet and over is the tipping point of NOT being able to park in many spaces. The foot and a half shorter PW is a game changer FOR ME. There is no perfect class B. That I am sure of. Just find something as close to your needs/wants as possible. Good luck!
JakeyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 04:02 PM   #15
BBQ
Platinum Member

One assumes you carry bottled water with you,
the other assumes you will throw out dishwashing water instead of saving them to the grey tank.

Old 02-24-2018, 04:07 PM   #16
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

One assumes you carry bottled water with you,
the other assumes you will throw out dishwashing water instead of saving them to the grey tank.

You're not wrong. I'd just like to carry extra bottled water on either one. And beer. Don't forget about beer!
JakeyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 04:45 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeyLee View Post
And beer. Don't forget about beer!
I never do!
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 05:07 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEd View Post
Can anyone comment on the difference in the Atwood furnace in the PW vs the Truma Combi Unit in WBGO's. Is the Atwood efficient on gas/electric and how about noise?
Ed
I had Atwood’s and have, similar to Truma, the space heater Espar Airtronics D2. Day and night in comparison. Atwood is simply too loud, mine were single RPM units and I don’t think they introduce dual speed but don’t know for sure.

My Espar runs on 4 levels heat outputs, the highest level is to quickly heat up the van from cold, noisy but still quieter than Atwood. At the lowest level is extremely quiet, mostly it runs on that level. Truma operates on 3 levels, so low is likely as quiet as Espar.

Truma incorporates water heating, great for space savings.

My choice would be clear, Truma.

I assume you are thinking about LPG powered Truma, if you consider a diesel powered one they use very reliable Eberspacher diesel furnace technology.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:53 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
"With the exposed windows on the passenger side you are fully aware of traffic approaching and passing you that rear view side mirrors don't pick up as soon."

I don't understand that. I can see for miles with the side mirror and off to the side with the small mirror attached.

Bud
It is millisecond awareness. If your center mirror is blocked then you will have to depend on your passenger side mirror for approaching traffic on your right side. There is a millisecond difference in just seeing a side mirror instead of your center mirror. I can pick up and anticipate a vehicle overtaking me with the center mirror before a side mirror as well. If your passenger is reading a map or newspaper they can block your side mirror view as well. Granted its a minor reason compared to all my other reasons but it is real and people are opting for all-time rear view cameras. In fact my "Mies" design in other threads will sacrifice this reason.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:39 PM   #20
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
It is millisecond awareness. If your center mirror is blocked then you will have to depend on your passenger side mirror for approaching traffic on your right side. There is a millisecond difference in just seeing a side mirror instead of your center mirror. I can pick up and anticipate a vehicle overtaking me with the center mirror before a side mirror as well. If your passenger is reading a map or newspaper they can block your side mirror view as well. Granted its a minor reason compared to all my other reasons but it is real and people are opting for all-time rear view cameras. In fact my "Mies" design in other threads will sacrifice this reason.
I still don't understand.

"It is millisecond awareness. If your center mirror is blocked"

What does that have to do with using the side mirrors mirror?

The point is, I think: I'm not going to turn backwards and looking out the side windows behind me.

"If your passenger is reading a map or newspaper they can block your side mirror view as well."

I think that the safest way to deal with that is to lean forward, speak to the passenger, etc. not turn backwards.

Bud