Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2017, 08:25 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Portable propane tank vs traditional, permanently mounted tank

Why don’t American Bs use internally stored propane tanks like many European Bs do? Is there a valid safety issue stopping manufacturers (unlikely given Europeans aren’t blowing themselves up)? Is there just no demand for that approach? Or is it simply illegal?

From my perspective, there are a lot of advantages to portable tanks. Refilling is as simple as swapping the canister, you can leave the propane behind, and it frees up space for bigger waste tanks. And for self builds, using a portable propane tank is much easier as well. If one used a Truma Combi and a large battery bank and/or second alternator, propane would only be needed in the coldest months.
B Eventually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 08:34 PM   #2
Platinum Member

It is certainly nice not to tie up valuable, accessible, space with the propane tank. Underbody works well for us.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 08:45 PM   #3
BBQ
Platinum Member

You can put a portable propane tank in the van.
All you need is a locker that vents outside.

Traditionally American vans are rear wheel drive,
they have lots of space under the floor for the tank.
Most European vans (except the Sprinter) do not have the underfloor space.

Upfitters are installing propane tanks under the RAM ProMaster. The space is tight, and some users found it difficult to fill the tank.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 10:05 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Swapping out those standard 20 lb tanks is a crap shoot. Start out with a nice brand new one and end up with an old one that the next time you go to exchange they tell you your tank is out of date. That happened to me. Needless to say I was pretty ticked off. The other reason for having a permanent mounted tank is you can get more capacity.

Yes they should be vented to the outside. Storing inside also takes up a lot of space when you could otherwise have it stored under the chassis. Built in ones are pretty much trouble free. Only the certified filler need to mess with it. You need not have to reconnect the hose. It is just there ready to go. I think if you check, even with a Sprinter, you are not going to be able to design a holding box that will sit under the floor that you can easily access such as simply lifting it out of a box. I looked into that possibility when I was designing my Advanced RV without propane when I thought maybe I would still want to barbecue outside with a 20 lb. Tank. I couldn't even make a 5 lb tank work.

Waste tanks are a function of available contiguous space constrictions and allowable weight. In the two Bs I had with the built in propane tanks were in locations where not having them would not have resulted in potentially larger waste tanks.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 10:55 PM   #5
Platinum Member

on our euro rental- I wasn;t fond of a gas bottle ( and a spare) strapped to the wall under the bed.

clinking and clanking...maybe safe but I dont want it that close to me.

doesn;t help that they are shaped like bombs.

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 12:11 AM   #6
Platinum Member

@booster & @BBQ I suspect those are the reasons propane tanks are under mounted in the States. Not sacrificing valuable accessible space, rear wheel drive, and the solution works well enough.

@Davydd I imagine that was really annoying. I imagine needing to check each tank’s expiration date would get old quick. Now that I think about it, eliminating propane likely wouldn't free up much usable space, otherwise Alvar’s would be even larger. I wonder if moving to a single waste tank would make the freed space contiguous.

@mkguitar Heh heh. You’d think they’d mount it securely enough to eliminate clanking. I’m going to be in this class C until at least two of the three kids are born, so clanking doesn’t sound that bad.
B Eventually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 11:20 AM   #7
Platinum Member

The short answer to the OP's question is that all RVs produced in this country, including Bs, are effectively regulated by the fire prevention standard known as NFPA 1192. The 2015 edition is 60 pages long and largely devoted to propane-related specifications. It costs about fifty bucks to get a copy of the standard, or, if a person registers with the NFPA website, they allow a low-resolution reading copy to be displayed in an active server page (but no download).
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 02:24 PM   #8
Platinum Member

5.2.3.3 Propane containers with their control valves shall be installed in compliance with one of the
following:

(1) Mounted in a recess or compartment, other than on the roof, that is vapor resistant to the
inside of the recreational vehicle
(2) Mounted on the tongue or A-frame of a travel or camping trailer or forward of the front
bulkhead below the overhang of a fifth-wheel trailer and not lower than the bottom of the trailer frame
(3) Mounted on the chassis or to the floor of a motorhome or chassis-mount camper, provided
neither the tank nor its support is located in front of the front axle, as follows:
(a) Tanks mounted between the front and rear axles shall be installed not lower than the front axle
height.
(b) Tanks mounted behind the rear axle of a motorhome or chassis-mount camper shall be
installed in such a manner that the bottom of the tank and any connection thereto shall not be lower
than either the rear axle height (excluding the differential) or any section of the frame immediately to
the rear of the tank, whichever is higher.
(c) All clearances shall be determined from the bottom of the tank or from the lowest fitting,
support, or attachment on the tank or tank housing, whichever is lower when all axles are loaded to
their gross axle weight rating.
(4) Mounted on the chassis or to the floor of a travel trailer or fifth-wheel trailer as follows:
(a) Tanks mounted behind the rear axle of a travel trailer or fifth-wheel trailer shall be installed in
such a manner that the bottom of the tank and any connection thereto shall not be lower than either
the rear axle(s) height or the lowest section of the frame to the rear of the tank, whichever is higher.
(b) Tanks mounted forward of the rear axle(s) shall be installed in such a manner that the bottom
of the tank and any connection thereto shall not be lower than the lowest section of the frame in front
of the tank.

5.2.3.4 Containers shall not be mounted on the exterior of the rear wall or the rear bumper of the
vehicle
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 02:55 PM   #9
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceper View Post
::

5.2.3.4 Containers shall not be mounted on the exterior of the rear wall or the rear bumper of the
vehicle

No wonder we do not have propane tanks on the rear anymore;
I remember seeing them there in the 70s.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 05:03 PM   #10
Platinum Member

I have an extend-a-stay adapter and can connect an external tank should my onboard tank empty before I can have it refilled. I have never used it but it came with my previously owned (3 or more owners before me) American Cruiser. I sometimes carry an external tank with me on my golf cart trailer or on my front-mounted hitch hauler.
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 07:36 PM   #11

Quote:
5.2.3.3 Propane containers with their control valves shall be installed in compliance with one of the
following:

(1) Mounted in a recess or compartment, other than on the roof, that is vapor resistant to the
inside of the recreational vehicle
(3) Mounted on the chassis or to the floor of a motorhome or chassis-mount camper, provided
neither the tank nor its support is located in front of the front axle, as follows:
(a) Tanks mounted between the front and rear axles shall be installed not lower than the front axle
height.

vehicle
Seems like it is perfectly OK to mount a portable propane tank inside the vehicle, provided the mounting area is sealed off. Though it takes up space, it seems far more sensible to me to keep the propane tank inside, where it is not exposed to rock strikes and rust. Just as bad, the weak points--regulator, fitting connections, etc.--are exposed to rocks, rain, salt, potholes, and rodent chew. My previous Westy and Roadtrek, obht outside mounts, both showed some hefty rust and wear. As all I use in my my new campervan is propane for the cooktop, I carry a small (4.25 lb) refillable portable, mounted inside a sealed cabinet in the van, with a venthole in the floor in case of a leak. Propane is heavy and will go to the lowest point. Easy to turn it on and off with each use.
Vince H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 09:10 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Sure seems that way.

One thing to note, these are guidelines for manufacturers. While there may be Provincial or State regulations limiting where propane bottles can be mounted, that can't stop you from mounting a tank on the back door one you have bought your van.

I still see some old skool vans driving around with tanks on the back.

There was a reason the practice stopped, which was safety.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 09:48 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Sure seems that way.

One thing to note, these are guidelines for manufacturers. While there may be Provincial or State regulations limiting where propane bottles can be mounted, that can't stop you from mounting a tank on the back door one you have bought your van.

I still see some old skool vans driving around with tanks on the back.

There was a reason the practice stopped, which was safety.
And the same would apply for mounting them or hauling them on a front carrier, which is really scary to me.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:59 PM   #14
Platinum Member

I personally like the idea of a place for a 20# cylinder, just because it costs me $15-$20 to exchange them, as opposed to trying to find an open propane shop and hoping they will fill up a class "B" tank. Plus, if I wanted to, I wouldn't have to worry about an Extend-A-Stay system... I just bring along a few extra cylinders.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:35 PM   #15
Platinum Member

There is a Class B manufacturer in Quebec that uses the portable bottles. Go to photo 45/50. We had to replace our propane tank on our RT. Cost big bucks.

SimpleViewer Gallery