Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2018, 03:55 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default portable washers

Just wondering if anyone out there use one of those mini portable washers in their class B, seen them on Amazon with very good reviews. Looks like they maybe a good solution for small loads.

Thanks and all have a Merry Christmas Joe
mira1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 10:39 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mira1 View Post
Just wondering if anyone out there use one of those mini portable washers in their class B, seen them on Amazon with very good reviews. Looks like they maybe a good solution for small loads.

Thanks and all have a Merry Christmas Joe
What puts me off is the water usage, but almost all of our camping is boondocking. We have some dry-tech clothing that we just wash in the sink if we get desperate.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 12:02 AM   #3
Platinum Member

I have a Lavario washer, and think it does a good job washing clothes.

There's no getting around the fact that several gallons of water are needed to wash, then rinse a load of laundry.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 03:54 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Default Portable washers

Lavario video
Formerly - 2007 Pleasure Way Plateau (06 Sprinter T1N), 1992 VW Eurovan Westfalia Hightop
Long ago - 1969 VW Westfalia & 1973 GMC Motorhome
ks@yvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 06:30 PM   #5

I have one, but used it only a couple of times. Takes up too much room and uses too much water. I boondock a lot, so I can't sacrifice that kind of space. And I find I can do a LOT more laundry in a lot less time at the laundomat or campground laundry in a lot less time.
Trash-to-Treasure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 06:55 PM   #6
Bronze Member

I've had pretty good luck with the Scrubba wash bag. Would I want to do all my laundry all the time in it? No, but it works remarkably well for "small loads"; underwear, socks, a pair of lightweight pants or a shirt or two. Although water availability is always the kicker, it doesn't use a whole lot for what it does.
Binny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 07:00 PM   #7
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trash-to-Treasure View Post
I have one, but used it only a couple of times. Takes up too much room and uses too much water. I boondock a lot, so I can't sacrifice that kind of space. And I find I can do a LOT more laundry in a lot less time at the laundomat or campground laundry in a lot less time.
It seems to me to be one of the ubiquots trade-offs in life. The size of the washer/water needed vs just some more clothes. I travel with at least 3 weeks of clothing, sheets, etc. - more than 3 weeks. If I run out of underwear, I need to buy some more. Always comes back to someone's application (needs and wants) for a b.

I'll bet there are some applications for a washer in a b, please tell us about one or some.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 05:04 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I leave a 5-gallon $2.98 BORG bucket (Big Orange Retail Giant) at my off-grid property. Fill it with lake water, add laundry detergent, and use a thick blunt stick as a stirring / punching tool. It works fabulously. Homer rules.

IMO, the laundry challenge with a B is not the washing - anyone with arms can accomplish that (even many disabled persons). The real challenge is drying. I've got an under-awning portable rack designed on paper thus far, and hope to make it a fabricated reality before next summer's camping season.

An ideal rack fits under the awning so that the clothes don't get rain sprinkled (my property is on the far northeastern coast of Nova Scotia, where it rains more often than not).

PLUS - and here's the kicker - it affixes magnetically to the side of the van. Ideally, its down-rods would fit between my side windows which is why I cannot buy or adapt an existing consumer product. Nothing fits the space.

I already dry clothing on the side of the van using magnets to hold the pieces, but I'm aspiring to create a more efficient apparatus. An ideal rack would be higher than most of the clothing pieces shown here. Once they are below the windows, even gently blowing rain can reach them.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote