Old 10-08-2018, 05:31 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Possibly buying a 2017 SS Agile... Need some advice

I've been looking for an RV in the past few months and spent a lot of time trying to educate myself. I've finally got a chance to look at a bunch of units (Ponoma show was great for that) I could fit in and seemed a good compromise (I want something short because of HOA restrictions) and I could use as a daily driver

My list was the Travato, Carado Banff, Revel, SS Agile, Airstream Interstate 19 and Pleasure Way Ascent. I really liked the Airstream in 4x4, seemed classy and well made but it's too pricey. The Travato K/KL has the best floor plan but the Promaster didn't feel super confortable to drive and 21' is a tad longer than I want, The Revel seems pretty cool, a lot of compromises biggest one for me would be the bathroom pretty much unusable. The Agile isn't the best at anything on my list of criteria but still it a lot of marks (good chassis, equipment, bed ok and bathroom a bit small but manageable.

I've found a used one (2017, 8000 miles, apparently bought from a customer not as a trade-in). It has no propane/ecotrek 400Ah/UG, undermount AC. Pretty much loaded. It is 500mi away at LaMesa Davis, the sales person is putting lot of pressure on me telling me it's going to be sold ASAP and there is no wiggle room price wise. I'm ready to make a $500 deposit and see it.

I'm looking for input about what should I be looking at closely for signs of abuse or things to make sure it's not a lemon on a "barely used" unit?

tooTallforB? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:03 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooTallforB? View Post
... the sales person is putting lot of pressure on me telling me it's going to be sold ASAP and there is no wiggle room price wise.
The classic hustle is apparently live and well.

cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:06 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
The classic hustle is apparently live and well.
LOL yes I realize that but I've been watching recent Agile online quite a bit, the ones that are correctly priced do seem to go fast.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:34 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
............. It has ............... undermount AC...............
I'd look into that. Find out about cooling performance, reliability and where / how to get it fixed.

Is the undermount A/C still offered by Roadtrek? I kind of / sort of recall some mention of problems but didn't pay much attention so I can't provide details.

Someone who is more up to date on the happenings at RT would likely know.
Two bikes on sliding cargo box: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/m...icture206.html & 1997 GMC Savana 6.5L Turbo Diesel Custom Camper Van Specifications: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...vana-5864.html
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:52 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Look at this thread:
http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f2...tion-5636.html
Old 10-08-2018, 07:56 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Two bikes on sliding cargo box: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/m...icture206.html & 1997 GMC Savana 6.5L Turbo Diesel Custom Camper Van Specifications: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...vana-5864.html
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:06 AM   #7
Bronze Member

That's all very good info about the undermount A/C, I was more thinking about the "stealth" aspect of not having an A/C unit on the roof (and one less thing to bang my head against in an already a bit too low space) than the more practical issues like road debris and dust causing trouble, although I had assumed those issues were solved somehow as they're pretty obvious with this design.

I guess it's not so clear. Digging a bit further seems like Roadtrek isn't pushing or even offering the option anymore, that's another clue it may not be such a good idea.

More reasons to cool off and not get myself suckered by those high pressure sales tactics
Old 10-09-2018, 03:33 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
That's all very good info about the undermount A/C, I was more thinking about the "stealth" aspect of not having an A/C unit on the roof (and one less thing to bang my head against in an already a bit too low space) than the more practical issues like road debris and dust causing trouble, although I had assumed those issues were solved somehow as they're pretty obvious with this design.

I guess it's not so clear. Digging a bit further seems like Roadtrek isn't pushing or even offering the option anymore, that's another clue it may not be such a good idea.

More reasons to cool off and not get myself suckered by those high pressure sales tactics
I checked out the Roadtrek undermount AC on a CS Adventurous. The racket it produced was close to the noise from an Onan. Unless you need the augmented BTU output, I would steer clear of it.

If the dealer 100k non-negotiable price is the one you are referring to, consider that you can buy a fully loaded 59KL for little more than that. BTW, the 20 ft spec on the Agile is actually 21 feet when you account for the Continental spare.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:48 AM   #9
Site Team

If I were doing a build today, I would seriously consider an undermount split system.

First of all, it is hard for me to see why it is much worse than the configuration that every car has with the condenser down low in front of the radiator. I guess it is behind the front wheels, but still...

Secondly, I would mount the unit parallel rather than perpendicular to the direction of travel, with a protective shield in the front. I am confident that this would make a big difference.

Finally, if I were still worried, I would mount it in a protective box, with electrically-operated louvers.

I don't know what RT's problem with noise was about. I guess it was just an oversized system. Upfitters tend to build to the spec-sheet rather than to the real need. I have no interest in making ice cubes in our van. I am more concerned about dehumidification than extremely fast cooling. Oversized systems do a poor job at humidity control.

I do realize that folks who camp regularly in the deep mount in summer have special needs.
Old 10-09-2018, 04:25 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
If I were doing a build today, I would seriously consider an undercount split system.

First of all, it is hard for me to see why it is much worse than the configuration that every car has with the condenser down low in front of the radiator. I guess it is behind the front wheels, but still...

Secondly, I would mount the unit parallel rather than perpendicular to the direction of travel, with a protective shield in the front. I am confident that this would make a big difference.

Finally, if I were still worried, I would mount it in a protective box, with electrically-operated louvers.

I don't know what RT's problem with noise was about. I guess it was just an oversized system. Upfitters tend to build to the spec-sheet rather than to the real need. I have no interest in making ice cubes in our van. I am more concerned about dehumidification than extremely fast cooling. Oversized systems do a poor job at humidity control.

I do realize that folks who camp regularly in the deep mount in summer have special needs.
Roadtrek uses the Pro Air unit which has gone through a couple of generations. My guess is that the racket is from the compressor and it's sufficiently obnoxious to guarantee your getting stink eye from adjacent campsites.

I'm confounded by owners who buy coaches in snazzy black or charcoal and then complain that their AC isn't up to snuff.