Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2019, 02:29 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Power Window

Subject: Driver's side power window. 1997 Dodge 3500 (PW). Symptom: Had been "hitting hard" when closing window. Suddenly will not close window. Motor still running but no lift. Suspect: bracket holding window to regulator.

Question: Anyone encounter this? I suspect the bracket has broken. Someone mentioned to me that he had the power window on his truck, with similar symptoms, repaired at a auto glass place.

Any suggestions for course of action appreciated. Weather cooling in the Southwest. Like to be on the road.

thx.glenn
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 02:38 AM   #2
Gold Member

If you can remove handles and liner to see the mechanism the repair may be as simple as a couple rivets.
mikeehlert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 11:46 PM   #3
g1g
Platinum Member

I don't know about that year but back in the 70s i have found the motor can come loose, drive arms broke or come off or a rubber drivetrain coupling broke (not sure of actual name after all these years)
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 08:59 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I have the same van, and had the same problem just last month, for me it was very easy to fix myself..Remove the handle and the door liner, then you can see the window holding system through the access holes in the door, you will easily be able to detect what the issue is, for me it was as simple as the window and holding bracket became separated, I cleaned up both surfaces and reattached with some silicone,,,didn’t take more than an hour,,,,let me know if you have any more questions,,,take care,,,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 04F286CF-938F-4918-AAD2-AE4EC63E75B2.jpg (185.0 KB, 20 views)
peppster66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 03:31 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Thanks. I'll get the RV out of storage and start work............
Old 10-03-2019, 04:13 PM   #6

I agree with peppster66. My '95 Dodge Sportsmobile passenger window was dead since I got the van from my folks. I finally popped the door panel and replaced the motor. Once the panel is off, you'll be able to easily diagnose and fix whatever the issue.

Eric W.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 03:47 AM   #7
Bronze Member

I am having a similar issue with my van on the passenger side. It makes a funny noise when I raise the window. Going down seems okay, going up is wonky.
Nutsy_squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 04:11 PM   #8

It's not too difficult to replace the motor. It's been a couple of years now so my memory is a bit hazy. As I recall you need to take the mechanism out and clamp it in a vise to remove the helper spring. There's lots of youtube videos out there showing how to R/R window motors on Dodge Rams...

Eric W.
Old 10-05-2019, 03:35 AM   #9
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericw View Post
It's not too difficult to replace the motor. It's been a couple of years now so my memory is a bit hazy. As I recall you need to take the mechanism out and clamp it in a vise to remove the helper spring. There's lots of youtube videos out there showing how to R/R window motors on Dodge Rams...

Eric W.
One nicety of the older vans is relatively cheap parts and ease of service. I am curious as to why I am only hearing a funky sound when I put the window up and not going down. Isn't the motor working on both cycles?
Nutsy_squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 03:57 AM   #10
Platinum Member

What happened with mine was that it started to make a "hard hit" knock at the very end when the window went all the way up. Not gentle at all. Going down it was fine. Then suddenly lost the ability to go up or down even though I can hear the motor working. Plan to get my RV out of storage on Sunday and take apart the door next week.
Old 10-05-2019, 07:15 PM   #11
Platinum Member

When I had problems with mine, I watched a YouTube video that shows how to replace just the plastic gears, so you don’t have to replace the whole motor, apparently, these plastic gears are known to wear out and fail,,,just something to check when you get yours out to look at,,,,good luck,,,
peppster66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 07:39 PM   #12
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutsy_squirrel View Post
One nicety of the older vans is relatively cheap parts and ease of service. I am curious as to why I am only hearing a funky sound when I put the window up and not going down. Isn't the motor working on both cycles?

Probably the guides. Binding in one direction, not in the other.
mikeehlert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 03:55 PM   #13

This is pretty vague as I'm going from memory and don't have the shop manual with me...

I recall there is also an adjustment mechanism with a nut at the bottom of the door, that either adjusts the stop point or perhaps the angle of the window within the slides? Something to be aware of, but caveat emptor -- I may be completely mis-remembering the purpose of this!

Eric W.