Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2018, 05:34 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Powered vents

We upgraded a long time ago to the Fantastic fan variable speed with remote and have really liked it. It has just started acting up, with the range for the remote dropping to about 3 feet most of the time, although sometimes it is better. New batteries don't help.

I went looking for information on the issue, and found new remotes, but no troubleshooting. What was not good, IMO, was that Fantastic is now owned by Dometic, it appears, and they look to be killing it off.

If all this is true, we will likely switch to a Maxx fan with similar capabilities, 10 speeds + remote.

Install looks to be straight forward, but the only power use I could find was 5 amps for the Maxx, which is higher than the Fantastic is. I assume that is on full speed, so range amps would be nice to have.

Has anyone done the swap and done a power use comparison?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 07:32 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I’ve had both and would never consider Fantastic again. The 10% speed can barely be heard and probably the Fantastic lowest speed is maybe in the range of about 30-40% speed of a Maxxfan. I haven’t bothered to check the variable amp draw. It would be an interesting test.

Edit: I did have our fan on all night street boondocking in La Crosse last night and the draw was no where near 5a at 20% speed. I would guess about 1 to 2a.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 07:39 PM   #3
BBQ
Platinum Member

FF has always stood behind their products. Usually, all it takes is a phone to get the replacement parts, free.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:41 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I like Fantastic Fan and got free replacement parts when needed. Not sure if there are still as liberal with parts now that they were bought out.

I think they have failed to innovate though.

I prefer the two MaxxFans we have now with the integrated rain cover. No need to worry about rain anymore.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 10:18 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

FF has always stood behind their products. Usually, all it takes is a phone to get the replacement parts, free.
Yep, I took advantage of their free replacement part, but the replacement part was the rain sensor. It corroded in just three weeks at South Padre Island coastal weather. Maybe they knew and had to replace parts. I considered it a faulty design. But as gregmchugh said keeping a Maxxfan open in rain is no worry and you still keep your fan vented with fan on or off.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 10:32 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I did mange to find some amp testing on the Maxx, and low speed of 10 was at .2 amps, but of course no airflow spec. High speed a bit above 4 amps, so not bad.

Fantastic used to be a great company and would send free repair parts, but then they got bought by Atwood (?) and that policy went away. Now owned by Dometic, so most likely even worse.

Hopefully will be able to nurse ours along with random functioning until I have time to switch to a Maxx.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:39 AM   #7
BBQ
Platinum Member

Agreed. The MaxxAir fan is much more convenient.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:37 PM   #8
Platinum Member

After being on the road for quite a while, the fan situation is even weirder than I thought.

Most of the the time, the remote works perfectly.

It doesn't seem to work well, losing nearly all it's range and sometimes all functions, when in certain conditions like a campground with lots of wifi antennas or a Walmart or other store parking lot.

The guess has to be that the signals from other sources are interfering with the fan remote and fan communication.

I think I will just replace it as planned, as there is no way to control it other than the remote, so would be screwed if it failed completely somewhere.
Old 07-08-2018, 12:00 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Does Maxxair and Fantastic Vent use the same hole spacing? I wish I had known Maxxair was better.

I replaced mine last year because I had so many roof leaks, I thought if I'm going to pull the original to look for cracks I might as well upgrade to a fan with more features.
Lennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 12:15 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Can't say about the mounting hole spacing being the same, but the opening specs are the same 14" square opening, which is most important, I think. If the screw holes are different, the old ones would just get covered by the flange anyway. I haven't heard of anyone having trouble changing brand, but could have missed it.
Old 07-08-2018, 12:17 AM   #11
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennie View Post
Does Maxxair and Fantastic Vent use the same hole spacing? I wish I had known Maxxair was better.

I replaced mine last year because I had so many roof leaks, I thought if I'm going to pull the original to look for cracks I might as well upgrade to a fan with more features.

The opening is a standard 14" square, which is the same size as an air conditioner opening.