Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2018, 04:29 AM   #1

Default Problem filling fresh water tank

I can't fill my fresh water tank (after 9 months in storage). Water comes out in a backflow immediately. I have a 1998 Roadtrek, Dodge Chassis. Any help would be appreciated!
Cathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 05:12 AM   #2
Platinum Member

The owners manual for 1998 Roadtrek is at https://www.roadtrek.com/download/1735&file_id=1736

On page 9 it describes two ways to fill the tank. Are you doing it with the gravity fill at the back door or the city water connection at the drivers side door?

What happens when you turn on the sink?

What instructions were followed to winterize and de- winterise?
Knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 03:51 AM   #3

Default Can't fill fresh water tank

I have tried to fill it through the gravity feed. I opened spigots, blew air through the air vent above the opening for the hose. I tried to fill through the city water opening, but there is no valve to bypass the water going directly to the faucets.

I can't even feed a 1/4 inch tubing into the gravity feed opening. It seems to be blocked.

For winterizing: I emptied all the tanks, left the plug off of the drain for the fresh water tank, took out the anode in the hot water heater, and put it in an RV storage.
Old 08-19-2018, 04:45 AM   #4
Gold Member

I would run a camera down there and see what’s going on. My first guess would be some sort of insect activity.

I have this one, I like it. Not too spendy.

Depstech Wireless Endoscope, WiFi Borescope Inspection Camera 2.0 Megapixels HD Snake Camera for Android and IOS Smartphone, iPhone, Samsung, Tablet - Black(11.5FT) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MYTHWK4..._IvpEBbGV1WA1Z
CaDreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:07 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Default Problem filling fresh water tank

I see that the link I posted to the 1998 Roadtrek manual is blocked. Go to Roadtrek.com select support then owners manuals. Page 9 says there is a valve where the city water is connected that should allow it to fill the tank. So water will go to the sink if connected to city water? There must be a valve.

I don’t know what to say about the 1/4 tube not going in. Maybe a filter to stop large stuff from getting into the tank?
Old 08-19-2018, 09:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knit View Post
I see that the link I posted to the 1998 Roadtrek manual is blocked. Go to Roadtrek.com select support then owners manuals. Page 9 says there is a valve where the city water is connected that should allow it to fill the tank. So water will go to the sink if connected to city water? There must be a valve.

I don’t know what to say about the 1/4 tube not going in. Maybe a filter to stop large stuff from getting into the tank?
Hi, and thanks for your ideas. I already have an owners manual, and followed all the steps. Unfortunately, I don't see a valve on my city water connection area. It actually looks like it was removed by some service work in the past. I am the second owner. So when I fill through city water, it can only go to the sink, etc.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:47 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Were you able to find the problem?
Old 08-22-2018, 02:30 AM   #8
Platinum Member

On my Airstream Avenue (Chevy Express chassis) I found the gravity filler tube was bent at too tight an angle (unseen behind a panel). In spite of the ribbed hose, it doubled over and pinched off flow to a trickle when filling with the hose.

First, I replaced the hose and re-routed it slightly to remove the sharp bend. Second, I purchased a Camco filler spout with flexible hose that could be inserted down into the filler spout.

I wish I could report "problem solved", but I must still fill the fresh water tank at about 1/2 water flow and it takes a long time. Better than before, but still a pain.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 04:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathie View Post
I can't fill my fresh water tank (after 9 months in storage). Water comes out in a backflow immediately. I have a 1998 Roadtrek, Dodge Chassis. Any help would be appreciated!
Hi Cathie.
I had a similar problem with my Roadtrek 2003. The water file tubing was punctured and I had to replace part of it.

If it is like mine, the tubing is semi transparent and after cleaning it, you should be able to look through it to see if there is any things blocking it.

When I replaced my tubing this year, I added a smaller one in it that goes into the tank to ensure air pressure is released when I fill the tank through the rear water fill.

Hope this will help.
luclemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 04:49 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Send a message via AIM to sewright33 Send a message via MSN to sewright33 Send a message via Yahoo to sewright33

When I drove mine after being winterized the water ran out below where I was filling in front area. Drove it back to rv place and they found the hot water heater had a ,problem. I tried adding water again not too long ago and it was still coming out below. Have a problem finding the right attachment for the hose to valve
Ann
sewright33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 02:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
On my Airstream Avenue (Chevy Express chassis) I found the gravity filler tube was bent at too tight an angle (unseen behind a panel). In spite of the ribbed hose, it doubled over and pinched off flow to a trickle when filling with the hose.

First, I replaced the hose and re-routed it slightly to remove the sharp bend. Second, I purchased a Camco filler spout with flexible hose that could be inserted down into the filler spout.

I wish I could report "problem solved", but I must still fill the fresh water tank at about 1/2 water flow and it takes a long time. Better than before, but still a pain.
Is this what you use? I just ordered it--"Camco Water Tank Filler with Shutoff Valve- Quickly and Efficiently Helps Fill Your Water Tank and Eliminates Line Backflow - Lead Free (5/8" Tube)" Hope this is what you have successfully used, and it works for me!
Old 08-24-2018, 02:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Were you able to find the problem?
Still working on it. I just ordered a "Camco Water Tank Filler with Shutoff Valve- Quickly and Efficiently Helps Fill Your Water Tank and Eliminates Line Backflow - Lead Free (5/8" Tube)" which someone suggested. Maybe this will help??
Old 08-24-2018, 02:57 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathie View Post
Is this what you use? I just ordered it--"Camco Water Tank Filler with Shutoff Valve- Quickly and Efficiently Helps Fill Your Water Tank and Eliminates Line Backflow - Lead Free (5/8" Tube)" Hope this is what you have successfully used, and it works for me!
It's this one. I paid twice as much though.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Shutoff...70_&dpSrc=srch

You still have to carefully insert it so the pointed part of the tip doesn't catch on the ribs of the filler tube. It doesn't need to go in more than a few inches.
Old 08-24-2018, 05:16 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Hard to picture how you can stick a 5/8” hose in gravity fill when you can’t even stick a 1/4” tube in. Hope it works.
Old 08-24-2018, 05:06 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hard to picture how you can stick a 5/8” hose in gravity fill when you can’t even stick a 1/4” tube in. Hope it works.
That's correct if there is a blockage or the fill hose is pinched. Still, the Camco filler has the advantage of an on-off valve right in your hand, and the fact it can stick down the filler entrance since a hose end will not go in sufficiently.
Old 08-25-2018, 04:35 AM   #16

It seems to be filling! I took it into an RV repair on the first day of a road trip. They couldn't find anything wrong, even put the mini camera inside to look at the hoses. But, amazingly, after all that, it is filling -- slowly, very slowly, but filling!

Thanks to you all for your suggestions. I have several new products coming my way on Amazon to help, thanks to your ideas.
Old 08-25-2018, 11:04 AM   #17
Bronze Member

FYi for anyone having similar problems. Walmart sells a very similar fill hose in the auto section, I think it is labeled for transmission fluid but is just a clear piece of tubing with a shutoff valve. It comes with an adapter for transmission fluid bottles, but that also fits most of the RV antifreeze bottles so it is handy for winterizing. The bottle adapter unscrews to a standard female garden hose so it is a very multipurpose item.
MikeK5117 is offline   Reply With Quote