Old 05-15-2013, 02:33 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Problem with ramps

I have a set Rhino ramps to raise the van when doing an oil change or draining my fresh water tank etc.. Problem is that it is very hard to get the van up on the ramps. One inevitably gets "pushed" out of the way because of the smooth concrete floor of my garage.

I thought the problem was because of the relative light weight of the Rhino ramps and the high entry to the ramps. I had lots of left over exterior OSB board from the garage build - enough to build 4 identical 6" high ramps. OSB is pretty much crap. It is not strong and I don't recommend or suggest using it for ramps. I built the ramps because I had this excess stuff laying around just taking up room and I wanted to test a design. The 6" high OSB ramps are made 12 layers of 1/2" OSB flat stacked, glued, screwed and nailed one on top of the other. The end result is basically a big solid block of OSB. I made a very low and also very extended ramp entry point. I haven't been under the van with it up on the solid OSB ramps because I'd like more info on the product. If anyone knows the compression strength of OSB please let me know.

Problem is I still end up pushing these heavy, low entry point ramps when trying to drive up on them. I think most of the tire is on the ramp when it gets pushed. I ended up using some non-slip material under them to finally be able to drive up onto two ramps.

Do you use ramps? Any problems getting your van up on ramps? Any solutions?

Two bikes on sliding cargo box: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/m...icture206.html & 1997 GMC Savana 6.5L Turbo Diesel Custom Camper Van Specifications: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...vana-5864.html
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Problem with ramps

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
I have a set Rhino ramps to raise the van when doing an oil change or draining my fresh water tank etc.. Problem is that it is very hard to get the van up on the ramps. One inevitably gets "pushed" out of the way because of the smooth concrete floor of my garage.

I thought the problem was because of the relative light weight of the Rhino ramps and the high entry to the ramps. I had lots of left over exterior OSB board from the garage build - enough to build 4 identical 6" high ramps. OSB is pretty much crap. It is not strong and I don't recommend or suggest using it for ramps. I built the ramps because I had this excess stuff laying around just taking up room and I wanted to test a design. The 6" high OSB ramps are made 12 layers of 1/2" OSB flat stacked, glued, screwed and nailed one on top of the other. The end result is basically a big solid block of OSB. I made a very low and also very extended ramp entry point. I haven't been under the van with it up on the solid OSB ramps because I'd like more info on the product. If anyone knows the compression strength of OSB please let me know.

Problem is I still end up pushing these heavy, low entry point ramps when trying to drive up on them. I think most of the tire is on the ramp when it gets pushed. I ended up using some non-slip material under them to finally be able to drive up onto two ramps.

Do you use ramps? Any problems getting your van up on ramps? Any solutions?
Personally, I don't like ramps and use jacks and stands, and what you have found is one of the reasons. Others include being in the way, and not being able to work and anything to do with the wheels. I also have a fear of driving off the end of them!

When I have used ramps and got into the sliding problem, I would put a 2X4 against the end of the ramp over to the garage wall. It doesn't take much force to hold it long enough for the wheel weight to get onto it and hold it. A friend did it a bit different. He just took a piece of ratchet strap material about 1.5" wide and put it under the ramp and up the high side about 6". He screwed it to the ramp on the high side where it went up, and cut a small notch in the low end so the ramp would still sit flat. His were steel ramps and didn't need a notch on the high end. He had about 2 feet of strap on the floor ahead of the ramp. The tire is on the strap which holds the ramp in place as he drives on. It worked very well for him on cars and pickups.

As for the OSB. It is not particularly strongin bending for its weight, compared to plywood, but it is extremely strong in pure compression, as it is very dense. I seriously doubt the van would do anything to your solid blocks. Do you need a forklift to move them around?

booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:05 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I had a set of the Rhino Ramps a long time back, believe they were rated at 12K. They had not been used for years, and then my son asked to use them to change oil. He has a Dodge Dakota, so we know it isn't that heavy, but when he got the front up and stopped, the side on one literally blew out. I was there in front of the truck, got the scare of my life when it blew. I guided him on, so he was dead center, and this happened! I new from that point on I would not have something plastic, or whatever it is made of, around. I took a couple of 2X8's and made a couple of sets. He uses them regularly, and I feel a lot better about it. Oh yeah..he offered to pay for the broken ramps, but what could I say - "show me da money." Joking of course. Ron
Old 05-16-2013, 12:17 AM   #4
Platinum Member

booster - thanks for the ideas. Either one should help me. I even put two unused ramps in front of the to-be-used ramp that was sliding and still pushed them all. I think the problem is made greater because my van is heavier in front than the rear.

Ron - that is a scary story. Thank goodness no one was hurt and no damage to the truck. I was looking at my plastic ramps the other day wondering about their strength. You can easily see that if they started to fail it would just collapse. I can't see me putting the van on them again.
Two bikes on sliding cargo box: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/m...icture206.html & 1997 GMC Savana 6.5L Turbo Diesel Custom Camper Van Specifications: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...vana-5864.html
Old 05-16-2013, 12:42 AM   #5
Platinum Member

I forgot re: the weight of the OSB ramps They're not as heavy as I thought they'd be - maybe 20 to 30lbs tops. I can move them around ok. For storage, my garage is unfinished inside so all the ramps reside in the spaces between the 2x6 studs. If I ever finish the garage storage would become an issue. Maybe I'd keep them under the van.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:05 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Re: axle stands

I have two sets of 2 ton axles stands. Each stand is rated 4,000 lbs capacity. My van weighs just over 8,000 lbs.

One set of stands is new, ratchet style supports and has additional locking pins.
Actual stands:

The other set is older, pipe style, with U shaped locking pins
Not the actual stands but similar:

Both sets seem so small to handle the large van.

Would you support your van on four x 2 ton axle stands?
Can you use two pieces of 3/4" plywood under the stands to gain a bit of height?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ratchet stands.JPG (19.8 KB, 939 views)
File Type: jpg axle stand U pin lock.jpg (34.2 KB, 938 views)
Old 05-26-2013, 12:17 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
Re: axle stands

I have two sets of 2 ton axles stands. Each stand is rated 4,000 lbs capacity. My van weighs just over 8,000 lbs.

One set of stands is new, ratchet style supports and has additional locking pins.
Actual stands:

The other set is older, pipe style, with U shaped locking pins
Not the actual stands but similar:

Both sets seem so small to handle the large van.

Would you support your van on four x 2 ton axle stands?
Can you use two pieces of 3/4" plywood under the stands to gain a bit of height?
Stands are usually rated per axle pair, so a two ton set would support 2000# each, which is under what the back of most B's weighs, and even the 8000# total on 4 stands is low. 3 ton stands would be much more appropriate, plus they usually go higher so the work better on trucks in general.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:35 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster
Stands are usually rated per axle pair, ..........................
Thanks for mentioning that. That was what I assumed when I bought the newer set of stands.

The older stands say "capacity per stand 4000 pounds" on the box. That's what has me confused. All the stands are similar in size etc.

So maybe I have one set of stands suitable for the van?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg capacity per stand.JPG (299.2 KB, 929 views)
Old 05-26-2013, 02:27 AM   #9
Platinum Member

After thinking about and reading some more - like booster said - 3 ton stands would be better for height and capacity. And something that is decent quality. The casting I've seen on some cheap axle stands is really bad - make you wonder if they could hold a lawnmower up.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:10 AM   #10
Platinum Member

I did a little looking around, also. The whole thing is very confusing and could be potentially dangerous. I found stands that plainly stated the rating was per pair. I saw others (Autozone for one place) that said the rating was per stand. I also saw single stands for sale with single stand rating. But they all showed pix that had the rating on the stand. The ones rated as each stand at 3 tons, said 3 tons on each stand. The ones that were 3 tons for the pair, said 3 tons on each stand. How does one know the difference?