Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2017, 12:42 AM   #41
Platinum Member

Maybe the rv builders are switching over because of cost? With a less expensive chassis, they do not exclude so many customers from the market. There has to be a breaking point when people will just not pay for a class B? Maybe they are seeing this with their marketing division. Trying to create a less expensive model with American chassis?
Rlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:10 PM   #42
Platinum Member

I, too, searched the reviews for information on the Promaster, Sprinter and Transit. I came to the conclusion that most of the really unhappy people were using them as business vans, probably meaning that the owner wasn't the driver in most cases. I've seen how employees drive vehicles and it's often not very pretty.

I've owned Chrysler, Mercedes and Ford vehicles. The Chryslers had design flaws (making repairs difficult) and the Mercedes was very expensive to maintain (bad fuel once required me to rent a trailer, wench the car up and tow it 120 miles to the nearest dealer, windshield wipers were $45/pair, etc.) The Fords have not been without their issues (transmission comes to mind), but parts are easy to come by, repairs are not difficult and there's usually a dealer a stone's throw from wherever I am.

That said, if you buy a vehicle new and either treat it well or get rid of it right after the warranty period, you are unlikely to experience issues with any of them.
Phoebe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:43 PM   #43
Platinum Member

There could be a lot of truth in that.

My experience is approaching 55,000 on one of the earliest gasser PM's built--September 2013. I am active on the PM forum and never pass up an opportunity to chat with another PM driver, whether rv or commercial. Given my experience and what I've read/heard, I would not hesitate to buy another.

I would, however, hesitate to buy a diesel from any of the three. PM didn't even market any in 2017 and the others probably wish they hadn't. They just don't have the emissions stuff right yet.
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:12 PM   #44
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
There could be a lot of truth in that.

My experience is approaching 55,000 on one of the earliest gasser PM's built--September 2013. I am active on the PM forum and never pass up an opportunity to chat with another PM driver, whether rv or commercial. Given my experience and what I've read/heard, I would not hesitate to buy another.

I would, however, hesitate to buy a diesel from any of the three. PM didn't even market any in 2017 and the others probably wish they hadn't. They just don't have the emissions stuff right yet.
Thanks all for your input!
Old 06-21-2017, 04:12 PM   #45
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlum View Post
I am in the process of purchasing a 2016 PW Lexor TS. I have been reading Dodge Promaster Cargo Van reviews on Edmunds. They are all over the board. Some people love them and others just hate them. Most of the people with promaster class b are very satisfied with them. Am I missing something? Do class b owners just take much better care of their vehicles?
Are the commercial users abusing their vehicles? According to these guys, they are buying brakes, transmissions and all sorts of problems. Maybe these were just lemons from manufacturer?
Funny; I was just at a dealer yesterday getting a routine tire rotation, alignment and a faulty tail light replaced (condensation - under warranty).
I just love my Winnebago Travato and the Promaster Chassis it is built on, and have had nearly zero problems or complaints. I like it so much, I am considering buying a smaller low roof version as a daily driver, and asked the service manager what customers think about them, how has their service record been, and what are their achilles heels. He told me the diesels have had a lot of trouble with both the brakes and the transmissions (the same things you cited), but otherwise they have been great vans. He said he hasnt even seen enough gas ones in for service to draw any conclusions (I take that as a very good sign) The diesel has no "Park", so the e-brake is used constantly. The diesel transmission is... lets say... "unique".

Even so, I have heard of many diesel owners that were very happy - several that were converts from MB.
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 04:38 PM   #46
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottbaldassari View Post
Funny; I was just at a dealer yesterday getting a routine tire rotation, alignment and a faulty tail light replaced (condensation - under warranty).
I just love my Winnebago Travato and the Promaster Chassis it is built on, and have had nearly zero problems or complaints. I like it so much, I am considering buying a smaller low roof version as a daily driver, and asked the service manager what customers think about them, how has their service record been, and what are their achilles heels. He told me the diesels have had a lot of trouble with both the brakes and the transmissions (the same things you cited), but otherwise they have been great vans. He said he hasnt even seen enough gas ones in for service to draw any conclusions (I take that as a very good sign) The diesel has no "Park", so the e-brake is used constantly. The diesel transmission is... lets say... "unique".

Even so, I have heard of many diesel owners that were very happy - several that were converts from MB.
Thanks,

I guess we cannot satisfy everyone?
Old 06-21-2017, 05:22 PM   #47
Platinum Member

3/4 through a 5 state trip in the south west, over 18mpg avg. Gas is $2.30-$2.50. No problems with the grades in Colorado and the 80mph speed limit is great. My 2014 Promaster has been flawless even in the major heat wave. I owe it all to the Mercedes emblem I carry. I do enjoy passing sprinters on hills although I've been passed by the Ecoboost transits a couple of times to put me in my place.
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 11:49 AM   #48
Platinum Member

This morning on the PM forum, a small fleet owner reports his first transmission failure at 280,000 miles. Because this transmission has been around for years in other vehicles, the repair part was $150 and easily accessed.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:52 PM   #49
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
This morning on the PM forum, a small fleet owner reports his first transmission failure at 280,000 miles. Because this transmission has been around for years in other vehicles, the repair part was $150 and easily accessed.
280,000 miles is a respectable service distance.

For what its worth... Chrysler uses the same transmission for the Caravan and the Journey, etc. Essentially it is a mini-van transmission. But the PM has a different part number, suggesting it might have some reinforced components. eg. bearings. but the gears and shafts are standard issue.

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 02:02 PM   #50
Platinum Member

The failure was in the solenoid pack which attaches to the valve body. According to the expediter's research, this is the most common failure in this transmission.