Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2015, 02:34 AM   #1
Silver Member

Cool ProMaster Delivery Miles

Does anyone know what the procedure is with the drivers delivering ProMaster-based motorhomes to dealers? The tow ratings are low for the platform and towing for a long distance is one of the worst things for a new engine and transmission. Are they allowed to tow a car behind them for their return as with many Class A and Class C deliveries?

I'm a real stickler on engine break-in on a new vehicle. An improperly broken in engine, transmission and braking system can lead to problems down the road. From my experience, a properly broken in engine will usually run smoother, have more horsepower, get better fuel economy and last longer. I alway put my vehicles through mostly city type driving when new. If I'm picking it up from a distant dealer, I drive around town first, then get on the highway, vary the speed a bit, don't use the cruise control and get off an exit every 10 miles or so, increasing with the cumulative distance.

I once picked up a rental car on a business trip with 17 miles on the odometer. While heading to my destination on the highway, going around 65, the temperature warning light and beeper came on and the temp gauge was showing HOT! As the engine began to buck, I pulled over and shut it down as cars whizzed by me. I made a few calls and after about 15 minutes I started it back up and drove off. It didn't do that again that day but I always wondered how it would run in the long term. I felt like I kicked Bambi or something.

I'd love to hear your comments.
GigaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:39 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I was worried about that on my new van. But it was delivered to me with 17.4 mpg on the clock and an average speed around 60. So I'm pretty confident that they didn't tow a car behind it.

But you really will not know. I suppose you could make it part of your contract when you order. If you really are that worried, just order one from Lichtsinn and drive it home yourself. You'll definately safe the delivery fee.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 05:57 AM   #3
Platinum Member

This past summer we stopped in Kingman Arizona for gas and there was a Travato in the lot heading for delivery somewhere. Driver was either snoozing or inside the truckstop eating. He was not towing. Travato's aren't allowed to tow more than 2000 lbs so I couldn't imagine Winnebago allowing it.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 01:54 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Like wincrasher said, if you are worried about it, buy one from Lichtsinn RV in Forest City, IA. You have less than 100 miles when you pick it up, and get a great deal too.
We've bought 2 RV's from them long distance with zero issues....

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 03:06 PM   #5
Bronze Member

When we purchased our 2015 Lexor TS on the ProMaster chassis, it was trucked out to California from Pleasure-Way. The mileage on it was 123 miles, it is more than that from Canada, so I know it was on a truck. The reason it had that mileage was because it was delivered to the Sacramento dealer, then driven to their other branch in Livermore which is closer to our home.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:48 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Pleasureway is such a low volume manufacturer that they can do this and not have product pile up on their lot...

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 02:31 AM   #7
Platinum Member

My 170 was driven from RT and the driver flew back home. My dealer told me that this is the usual from Roadtrek for the delivery of one unit. So they would do the same with a Zion.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 02:57 PM   #8
Gold Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mass59k

Only time will tell on our 59k. It had 1250 miles on the odometer at Flagg RV in Mass. Didn't think to ask how it was delivered. Did notice 17mpg and 65 mph so hopefully not towing anything. 16600 on odometer as it sits in storage.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:26 PM   #9
Platinum Member

My concern is the driver not adhering to the break in period recommendations for the first 300 miles. Averaging 65 mpg is definitely not adhering to the recommendations for moderate speeds. The drivers have no concern on proper break in which could affect your engine and transmission's reliability down the road.

"ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS
A long break-in period is not required for the engine and drivetrain (transmission and
axle) in your vehicle.
Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After the initial 60 miles
(100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.
While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws
contributes to a good break-in. Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be
detrimental and should be avoided."
tbirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 12:42 AM   #10
Gold Member

PW has all its vehicles delivered by carrier, rather than driven. If it's important to you then stipulate it in the contract. Personally I would not buy a new vehicle otherwise. But different strokes for...
sheral is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
break-in, delivery, promaster, towing