Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2018, 06:55 PM   #21
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfelipe View Post
All other appliances are working and the gen runs but not well. I'm wondering if running out of LP messed something up?
The residue propane in the hose can last a long time. Often enough to cook a meal or two.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:11 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

The problem is a simple one.

Your propane regulator has a built-in anti-leak shut-off valve.
If the regulator detects an abnormally high-rate of gas flow, it will shut down the regulator.

This often happens when people run out of propane and drained the hose. When you refilled the propane and turn on the valve, the gas will rush to pressurize the hose, and the detector would mistaken it as a leak and shut down the valve.

What you have to do is to shut off the valve at the tank. Wait a bit for the regulator to reset itself. Then turn on the valve at the tank S-L-O-W-L-Y, so that the gas does not rush out to trigger the anti-leak shut-off valve.

Good luck.
If the safety valve closed how come the other appliances are still getting propane??

It doesn’t take long for the propane in the lines to be used...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:23 PM   #23
Gold Member

Quote:

The problem is a simple one.

Your propane regulator has a built-in anti-leak shut-off valve.
If the regulator detects an abnormally high-rate of gas flow, it will shut down the regulator.

This often happens when people run out of propane and drained the hose. When you refilled the propane and turn on the valve, the gas will rush to pressurize the hose, and the detector would mistaken it as a leak and shut down the valve.

What you have to do is to shut off the valve at the tank. Wait a bit for the regulator to reset itself. Then turn on the valve at the tank S-L-O-W-L-Y, so that the gas does not rush out to trigger the anti-leak shut-off valve.

Good luck.
Thought of that... Didn't help.
bigfelipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:24 PM   #24
Gold Member

Messing with it now. I'm going to start a new thread on the topic... I'll come back to the guage
bigfelipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:13 PM   #25
Joe
Platinum Member

Send a message via AIM to Joe
Default Joe

On my Xplorer the inside gauge never seemed to register correctly. I always go by the one on the tank itself. Have been told they seldom work inside.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:45 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfelipe View Post
OK. So I crawled under the van this morning. There is no gauge anywhere I can see. Not on the side of the van, not inside the panel with the filler connection, not on the tank. I tapped on the tank. It sounds empty. I looked over the 2-wire connection I assume is the level sending unit. It looks to be ok. Nothing frayed or shorted looking.

Did I miss something?
I wonder what they use when they refill the tank. 😶
ManWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:51 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManWonder View Post
I wonder what they use when they refill the tank. ��
If they're doing it properly, they're opening the vent and stopping the fill when liquid propane comes out. They shouldn't be looking at the gauge.

Just like a BBQ bottle.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 01:15 AM   #28
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
If they're doing it properly, they're opening the vent and stopping the fill when liquid propane comes out. They shouldn't be looking at the gauge.

Just like a BBQ bottle.

Correct. The proper way to fill a tank is to fill it till the vent is oozing liquid propane.

For BBQ refill, because of the small size, a lot of stations use a scale to measure the fill.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:55 PM   #29
Joe
Platinum Member

Send a message via AIM to Joe
Default Joe

Have not seen many but all I have seen. Had a gauge on tank somewhere like I said. Mine was hard to find and very small. I had to get the kid filling my tank to show me. I was complaining about the gauge inside the camper. He said check the one on the tank as one inside is not as accurate. Good luck!
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:31 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Quote:
Correct. The proper way to fill a tank is to fill it till the vent is oozing liquid propane.
I just got my propane refilled. The guy did not fill me with confidence as to his knowledge. I asked how he'd know when 80% had been reached and he answered "most of them shut off automatically". At about 5 gallons we heard a sound and he said that was it. Later I looked on youtube and saw where one is supposed to open this little valve which he never did. Now the gauge on the tank is on "F". Does this mean he overfilled it? If so, can I open the weep valve to release the overage?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180705_160837428(1).jpg (121.1 KB, 3 views)
Old 07-05-2018, 08:59 PM   #31
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManWonder View Post
I just got my propane refilled. The guy did not fill me with confidence as to his knowledge. I asked how he'd know when 80% had been reached and he answered "most of them shut off automatically". At about 5 gallons we heard a sound and he said that was it. Later I looked on youtube and saw where one is supposed to open this little valve which he never did. Now the gauge on the tank is on "F". Does this mean he overfilled it? If so, can I open the weep valve to release the overage?
F is ok.

Do not try to vent it yourself.

Liquid propane is C-O-L-D. It can freeze your fingers if you are not careful.
You also risk the chance of a runaway valve - the vent got frozen and you are not able to close it. In that case, you have to wait till ALL the propane are out and hope there is not an accidental spark nearby.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:08 PM   #32
Platinum Member

To quote from the Fifth Element "Big Bada Boom"

Also note that propane expands 270 times when turned to vapour. So one gallon of liquid compressed propane turns into 270 gallons of propane vapour. Assuming you have a 30 gallon tank and the vale freezes open, you now have to deal with 8100 gallons of propane vapour which is highly flammable and explosive at the right oxygen concentration.

Don't vent your propane, it's an explosion waiting to happen.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:38 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceper View Post
TDon't vent your propane, it's an explosion waiting to happen.
Okay so as you can see I did not blow myself up (yet). What I have to wonder is about the comment the guy made at the propane filling station. He said that in his experience the tanks automatically stop at the 80% mark. If that's true then why all the hoopla about making sure not to overfill. I get that overfilling leads to damage but I've never come across an actual occurrence
of this actually happening to someone. I do know that in the future I'll probably get my tank refilled at campgrounds where they are used to filling RVs.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:25 AM   #34
BBQ
Platinum Member

How old is your tank?

All new tanks are ASTM certified.
It comes with an OPD (overfill protection device).
ie you cannot theoretically overfill the tank. But it is still possible to fill the tank so full that it can cause problems to some regulators.

You can tell if you have a new tank by its handle.

Old 07-06-2018, 11:00 PM   #35
Platinum Member

Quote:

How old is your tank?

All new tanks are ASTM certified.
It comes with an OPD (overfill protection device).
ie you cannot theoretically overfill the tank. But it is still possible to fill the tank so full that it can cause problems to some regulators.

You can tell if you have a new tank by its handle.

Thanks!! Looks like mine is one of the new ASTM units... Good to know!