Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2019, 04:58 PM   #1

Default Pros & cons Simplicity vs. Simplicity SRT

Hubby & I have been researching Class Bs and we really like the Simplicity and have narrowed it down between the Simplicity & the Simplicity SRT. We'd like to hear some pros & cons from Simplicity & SRT owners out there.

1. What do you love about your Simplicity or SRT?
2. What is the biggest drawback that you wish you had?
3. How's your fuel mileage?
4. If you have the underhood generator, does it work well?
5. Do you mostly boondock?
6. Is the shower usable?
7. Can you use the under-bed area for storage?
8. Do you need to buy a separate freezer for food storage?
9. Is the underhood generator quiet?
10. Can you park in a regular parking spot?
11. Can you get tank heaters to use as a 3-4 season coach?
12. Is the insulation sufficient?

We're nearing our 50s and not yet ready to retire. We're look at getting a Class B that I can drive to/from work on a daily basis and use 3 or more times a month for quick get-aways in state parks. We'll do an annual long trip out west for about 3 - 4 weeks. Mostly just quick day trips or long weekend get-aways.

We've rented several small Class Cs in the past and each time, we go smaller & smaller. It's just the two of us. At a campground last summer, our campsite neighbor had an old Roadtrek and let us look in the camper. We loved it. Just what we're looking for. We don't want a vehicle that's going to sit around unused, like a Class C.

We had looked at custom vans, some higher end vans (more expensive than our home!) and just really like the Roadtrek. The price is decent, even for a newer van and we'd get good use of it.

Looking forward to hearing your feedback
SopranoKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:15 PM   #2
Platinum Member

The only difference between the two is length... one is 20'10" and the other is 19'7" - which only affect the bed on the inside. In the S-SRT you will sleep from side to side... in the longer version, you can sleep front to back.

The mileage will only be infinitesimally different between the two. I get 16-18 mpg on the highway with various winds and terrains... and I regularly drive about 70.

It is at best a 3 season coach. They are only minimally insulated and tanks and plumbing are mostly outside. Use in the winter would have to be winterized with no water in the system.

The shower is marginally usable if you are small.

The fridge is a good size with a small freezer. I don't know any owners who are using an extra freezer and not sure where you would put it. Most Class B rigs have a much smaller fridge/freezer.

The underhood generator is the engine. Running the engine is certainly quieter than the average Onan.

The SRT will fit into most parking spots, but I normally park in the distant reaches and take a couple spots to avoid jerks denting stuff up. (and they still manage)

I mainly use campgrounds if I want AC. Boondocking I can go almost indefinitely with my 2 AGMs and solar (and UHG if I need to top up). Most find that it is the tank capacity that is most limiting.

Under the bed storage is there if you need it... it is limited by height and if you have the rear sofa, by the mechanics of it.

As far as using it to commute, just don't tell your insurance company that. It will significantly raise your rates. Remember... it's a camper... LOL

I like the Promaster. The front wheel drive is a pleasure... add Sumos front and back and it will be amazingly stable for such a tall box.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:34 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Be aware that Roadtrek has recently been in receivership and this has affected warranties. Some discussion on how the new owners are proceeding here https://www.rvbusiness.com/blog/rapi...-roadtrek.html
Knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 01:32 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Dealers have been (mostly) upfront about this since the collapse in February. There are still a few left on dealer lots and good prices available since the 6 year warranty is dead. Any purchases from the July 3 purchase date by Rapido should come with a new 2 year warranty... although what it covers is still a bit of a question. (we that purchased before that date have a limited warranty only to $1500)

This is not as big of a deal with Simplicity models because they have the simpler electrical system. My total warranty expense on my 2019 has been $150. I'm waiting to see if Rapido will reimburse me... but either way, not exactly big bucks.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 07-14-2019, 08:21 PM   #5

Default Thanks for the feedback!

Thank you for the feedback. Yes, the warranty issue is definitely a concern. I'm wondering if I can use that as a bargaining chip to get a better price on the unit since we're looking at a 2018 model?
SopranoKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:51 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Most of the better dealers have already priced that into what they have left. Here is an SRT at my dealer in Minnesota that has already had the price lowered. No need for negotiations...:

https://www.lakeregionrvs.com/defaul...=xNewInventory

This dealer is just north of Minneapolis.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme