Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2018, 01:40 PM   #1
nhx

Default Purchasing advice

Hi,
I'm looking to purchase my first RV and was hoping to get advice on what to expect and how to negotiate the best price. Ideally, I would like to purchase a new Travato 59G or GL. If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. I am flexible on timing, so if there is a time of year when dealers offer more incentives, I'm open to anything.
Thanks,
Paul
nhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:57 PM   #2
Platinum Member

You should be able to get one for 27-30% off MSRP. The discount on the lithium option is no different than any other winnebago option - that is their pricing model.

Of course you are looking right now in peak season, so deals are not likely. Also, nobody has inventory of these models as they just started production. I placed my order in March and will get my van in July. I've heard talk of people placing orders now not getting them until October. Not surprising. Smarter people order their vans in the winter I guess, when factory activity is slower.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 03:14 PM   #3
nhx

Default 59G or GL?

Thanks for your reply. I looked at your blog and based on all the solar and power equipment you have, I realized you're probably the perfect person to ask about camping off the grid.

I would like to be able to go up into the mountains for 4-5 days and be able to run my laptop and charge my camera batteries to work on the guidebooks that I publish. The Travato 59GL looks like it would have no problem doing this, but I'm wondering if I could do the same with the Travato G and not pay the $30K extra. Do you think the GL's electronics/power is worth the upgrade?

Thanks,
Paul
nhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 04:49 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhx View Post
Hi,
I'm looking to purchase my first RV and was hoping to get advice on what to expect and how to negotiate the best price. Ideally, I would like to purchase a new Travato 59G or GL. If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. I am flexible on timing, so if there is a time of year when dealers offer more incentives, I'm open to anything.
Thanks,
Paul
Key to negotiation. Make sure they know you are willing to walk out. Another key: make physical printouts of other dealerships ads etc. In the middle of the sales person going to the manager, start looking over them and when the salesperson comes back, they will realize you are looking for the best price no matter where you will go to get it. This has worked Every time I have started doing this. The deal goes into my favor. Leverage is key. Have the physical paper copies. Do not just look over your phone. If they know you went to the trouble to print them out, they know you mean business. It's sad we have to do this but it's a game. Your results may vary. Best wishes!
goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 05:44 PM   #5
Bronze Member

I waited until September to by mine. Last one of the model on the lot, got it for just over his cost. Saved $15,000 of the price because he didn’t want to sit on it over the winter
Toolman0114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:36 PM   #6
Platinum Member

It's an experience I hate! Pretty much like buying a car.

In our case, we just traded in an 31 ft 2005 Airstream travel trailer that we bought used the years ago and a 2008 3/4 ton diesel pickup that we bought new when we got the trailer.

I wound up going back and forth between two Pleasure Way dealers equidistant from our home, one east one west.

I was getting stressed out by it all so after a while I give them each 24 hrs to gve me their best and final deal to bring things to a head!

When you are trading in, then it is had to know what you are really getting off MSRP I think.

In our case, here is how the deal wound up "On paper" ......

(1) We got more on a trade than we paid for our Airstream trailer ten years ago - athough I think we were lucky that exchange rates helped us out there.

We live in Canada and bought it from the US at a time when the Canadian dollar was worth close to $1.10 US and of course things are much different now - just good luck.

(2) We got the high end of the asking prices on "Autotrader" for our pickup truck - but ours had very low mileage as we bought it mainly to pull the trailer. As well, I think again we got a good price when we bought it in 2008 as no-one knew what teh future held for GM at that time and if any warrantees would be good, so we took a chance and got a whole lot off the MSRP.

(3) In addition to getting what I was very happy with on our trades (so I didn't have the hassle of trying to sell privately) we got about $15k off the MSRP for the Class B that we ordered.

Nw Im not kidding myself that the RV dealer was not happy with the deal and making a decent profit - but I felt ok with it too and I think that is the main thing!

Now hoping it gets delivered close to the promised timing and that there are not too many teething troubles with it. It is a Pleasure Way and they seem to have a vary good reputation from what I have found, so here's hoping!

Good luck - hope I don't have to go through it again for a while - if ever, at this stage!

Just don't get carried away with enthusiasm, and be ready to walk away if you are not happy with the deal! Over the years I have done that and it has worked for me!

Cheers ......... Brian.

PS - We did probably buy at the worst time - Spring! Bt then,that was probably the best time for the dealer to sell our trade in trailer!

It was re-sold within a week or so, and we don't get our 2109 B van until Sept.! We are ok with that as we mainly travel south in the winter.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 01:54 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
Key to negotiation. Make sure they know you are willing to walk out. Another key: make physical printouts of other dealerships ads etc. In the middle of the sales person going to the manager, start looking over them and when the salesperson comes back, they will realize you are looking for the best price no matter where you will go to get it. This has worked Every time I have started doing this. The deal goes into my favor. Leverage is key. Have the physical paper copies. Do not just look over your phone. If they know you went to the trouble to print them out, they know you mean business. It's sad we have to do this but it's a game. Your results may vary. Best wishes!
I forgot to include to get an OUT THE Door price. (Tax, Title etc.)
goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 11:43 AM   #8
Silver Member

Typically people report that boondocking with a traditionally powered G is fine for 4-5 days. Especially if you drive a bit each day, that goes along way toward recharging the batteries. Water is what people usually run out of first, not power. The Travato is very easy to live in with no hookups, you can forget that you dont have power, everything is seemless. The 2019 regular Travato comes with a 1000W inverter and 200W solar. The GL gives a full 30amp power all the time experience.
1997 Country Coach Intrigue #10468 "Mister Motorhome"
Firesteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 12:01 PM   #9
BBQ
Platinum Member

Re: Boondocking

You will run out of water before you run out of battery power

You will run out of black/gray tank space before you run out of food

You will run out of beer before you run out of water

Moral of the story -- bring more beer.

Enjoy
Old 06-26-2018, 12:10 PM   #10
Bronze Member

I have a 2018 Carado Banff it has:
- EcoTrek 400 lithium power modules,
- Power inverter/converter/transfer switch – 12/110 V, 2,000 W
- Solar charging system – 200 W with charge controller
- Generator – under-hood 280 AMP, 12 V
I’ve lived off grid for 5 days with no worries about power.
Toolman0114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 01:00 PM   #11
Platinum Member

goreds2 uses the same technique I use when buying a rv or any vehicle. Unfortunately, most salespeople in my experience don't know come here from sic 'em about the product they are selling. Of course, there are some very competent sales folks out there but I find them in a distinct minority.

I take a colored file folder from my office, right the name of the specific vehicle I am wanting to buy on the tab and in big block letters on the front of the folder. I use a laundry marker pen to do that because I want the folks at the dealership to see I have done the research and the homework, that I didn't just drift in off the streets.

I don't over dress, but I go in pressed trousers and wear a starched long sleeve shirt for this little negotiation ceremony.

I print out hard copies - PAPER COPIES - in color of the specs from the factory and a lot of other technical stuff including about the chassis. I get the chassis info from the chassis manufacturer's website. I want lots of paper. I study all this before I see any dealer because I want to know more about his/her product than they do on the specific model. Of course it is a type of intellectual intimidation!

THEN, I go to rvtrader.com and rvt.com, enter the specific model I am interested in and print out the results in color. I circle three or four of the best offers and don't care if it is a thousand miles away. The goal is to have a lot of paper with a lot of marking on it and to convey that you are willing to grab a plane and go across country to make a deal.

What I find all this does is put the pressure from the buyer's side of the table to the sales side of the table. AND, like goreds2 I insist on an out of the door price.

If we reach an agreement, I ask for all the purchase agreements to be filled out and given to me to review in detail before I sign. I have taken them with me, gone to Starbucks or somewhere and read the documents thoroughly, marking up or deleting the language and initialing the marks and then taking the contract back to the sales person and make them initial any marks I have initialed.

Hey, it is my money and I have the right to spend it as I see fit. Finally, walk if they get sticky. They will probably call you back.

I have walked on attempts to change the "out the door" price by even a small amount. They will grab you on the way out. If a dealer tries to bamboozle you on the sale, you can forget about service after the sale..........it ain't gonna be a great experience. They have already proven how they do business.

I am very business like about all this and treat the sales person with courtesy and friendliness but firmness also.

I see no reason to treat a purchase of this size in any manner different than any other business transaction.

If this seems like a lot of trouble to go through, just take the amount you will probably save and divide by the couple of hours it takes to put the file together and go through the process. I bet your per hour invested savings will be a pretty high billing rate!!

Paul
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 07:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doneworking View Post
I take a colored file folder from my office, right the name of the specific vehicle I am wanting to buy on the tab and in big block letters on the front of the folder....
I bring in a notebook with tabs, each dealerships ad etc behind each tab. Back of notebook is all the technical stuff. Worked real nice when we bought our used Tundra. And we were ready to drive to the second and third dealership same day no problem. Also helped when I whipped out their ad with the $1000 mistake printed on it.
GreatDane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:19 PM   #13
Platinum Member

You don't need high powered systems for powering laptops or phones. You can do that with extra batteries and portable chargers. But, if money no object, lithium battery systems are great.

Class B's are in high demand and have lower discounts than many other RV styles. Typically I think 15-20% off msrp as "standard" discount on Class B vans, perhaps a bit more if manufacturer has an incentive or if a unit has been sitting on the lot for a long time. Because it is so tough to get RV service these days, I think its worth establishing a relationship with a local dealer, even if you pay a bit more, so you can get priority on service scheduling.
Belzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 06:38 PM   #14
Platinum Member

I've found some good information on the fb page RV pricing and values. It's a business, and they charge for appraisals, but just going through the posts and comments has been very illuminating..

Brian
bwolfsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 03:25 AM   #15

I watched a YouTube a few weeks ago. Search for Ultra Mobility's YouTube channel and look for the video about "RV Price Negotiation | Tips for Negotiating the Best Price for Your Camper Van"
GreatDane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 12:46 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhx View Post
I would like to be able to go up into the mountains for 4-5 days and be able to run my laptop and charge my camera batteries....

Thanks,
Paul
Solar may not work very well in the mountains of NH....too many trees to block the sunlight. In your case, I feel it would be a waste of money.

To get a better idea of cost, look up LaMesa RV in Port St. Lucie, Florida. Their prime season is winter. They sell about 100 units a month then. Their off-season prices are lower. They sell Winnebago and Hymer/Roadtrek.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, purchasing, travato