Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2018, 11:59 PM   #61
Bronze Member

Take B. Walmart for the night, Food & Stuff in the store. Water by the Jug in an emergency.
a camp site when Black tank is full or a National :Park Dump station.
I even did a 19K oil change at Walmart --brought my own special 229.51 MB oil and filter .
Wally charged $32 to do work.
Got home 12|K later and had dealer do 20K service (a little late) but that cost $340!!! She oil same filter but the Dealer had Tea and Crumpets is waiting room.

PS at Walmart I could haver left the Sprinter and stayed the night at a Hilton for less that the Tea and Crumpets!
JPMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:18 AM   #62
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
I used to think that 4 x 4 was invincible until I watched the ARV video of a Sprinter sinking like a stone in the mud requiring a Jeep to pull it out. Is it feasible to set up a rear hitch mounted winch that could at least drag you back out of what you get into?
On the spectrum of 4x4 system capabilities for off pavement travel, the Sprinter 4x4 on a 3500 chassis is not very capable. Works good for wet or snow covered paved roads and gravel or dirt roads but probably not so good for mud or soft sand.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:18 AM   #63
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I watched the video. I've been down many a road like that in my B and without 4x4.
I was thinking the same. Although on my new Promaster, I'm going to install more aggressive tires (KO2's) and the Sumo springs to get 1-1.5" of lift. With the front wheel drive, I think I can get most places with this kind of setup.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:45 AM   #64
Platinum Member

Quote:
I used to think that 4 x 4 was invincible until I watched the ARV video of a Sprinter sinking like a stone in the mud requiring a Jeep to pull it out. Is it feasible to set up a rear hitch mounted winch that could at least drag you back out of what you get into?
If you wanted, I'm sure you could rig up a 12v winch like that for very little $$ - probably get one at Harbor Freight for $100 or so!

I bought one and rigged it up for lifting carboys and beer kegs in and out of a couple of small converted chest freezers I use in the garage for a home brewing beer hobby! (I have back problems following a motorcycle incident some years ago so don't want to risk my back further!)

Brian.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:01 AM   #65
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
On the spectrum of 4x4 system capabilities for off pavement travel, the Sprinter 4x4 on a 3500 chassis is not very capable. Works good for wet or snow covered paved roads and gravel or dirt roads but probably not so good for mud or soft sand.
I know the Sprinter 4WD can't be engaged on the fly which detracts from its ability but on the ARV video, it seemed less a matter of ineffective 4WD and more a matter of such a large per square inch tire load on the ground that it made the coach sink to its axles in muddy terrain. The Jeep on the other hand seemed unfazed by the same condition.

A lot of off roading is done in caravans where if someone get hung up there is all kinds of assistance at hand. But if you're alone, it's a very different matter.

Why can't a B have a winch that can help drag you back out of what you shouldn't have gotten into?
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:10 AM   #66
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
If you wanted, I'm sure you could rig up a 12v winch like that for very little $$ - probably get one at Harbor Freight for $100 or so!

I bought one and rigged it up for lifting carboys and beer kegs in and out of a couple of small converted chest freezers I use in the garage for a home brewing beer hobby! (I have back problems following a motorcycle incident some years ago so don't want to risk my back further!)

Brian.
After doing some surfing I see that Warn has been there and done that. They provide a winch frame that slips into the 2 inch hitch. I guess the best thing would be to have a hitch receiver on both front and back but if limited to one point, I think I'd choose the rear and winch back out of trouble rather the front to pull you through trouble.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:15 AM   #67
BBQ
Platinum Member

About the ARV video,

Well... it was after the spring thaw. The ground was like quicksand.

Even the Jeep needs chains to get traction.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:17 AM   #68
Platinum Member

Quote:
I know the Sprinter 4WD can't be engaged on the fly which detracts from its ability but on the ARV video, it seemed less a matter of ineffective 4WD and more a matter of such a large per square inch tire load on the ground that it made the coach sink to its axles in muddy terrain. The Jeep on the other hand seemed unfazed by the same condition.

A lot of off roading is done in caravans where if someone get hung up there is all kinds of assistance at hand. But if you're alone, it's a very different matter.

Why can't a B have a winch that can help drag you back out of what you shouldn't have gotten into?
There are winches that can be mounted on a Sprinter, usually on the front but probably doable on the rear also. I fact the video of the ARV front bumper shows a winch but for some reason it has a steel cable. Most people use synthetic line in their winches used for off road extraction these days.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:38 AM   #69
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

About the ARV video,

Well... it was after the spring thaw. The ground was like quicksand.

Even the Jeep needs chains to get traction.
That jeep is a WWII surplus jeep they use for Maple sugaring sap collection in the early spring in the Neundorfer woods. It is very muddy. That video was made so as not to oversell the capabilities of 4 wheel drive. ARV sells a front bull bar with an attachment for a wench.

I've posted this photo before. We helped gather sap buckets with the jeep once.

2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:12 AM   #70
Platinum Member

Quote:
That jeep is a WWII surplus jeep they use for Maple sugaring sap collection in the early spring in the Neundorfer woods. It is very muddy. That video was made so as not to oversell the capabilities of 4 wheel drive. ARV sells a front bull bar with an attachment for a wench.

I would expect the wench option to be pretty popular but my wife might not let me get it...
Old 06-13-2018, 04:15 AM   #71
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:

Ya Look'in Good
Old 06-15-2018, 03:47 PM   #72

Default My vertically challenged wife loves driving our Roadtrek

My wife is a little under 5 feet and feels more comfortable driving our 1995 Roadtrek than in her own car. She says she has a better view of the road thanks to the high seating and the short hood. I suppose it would be worrisome if the power steering or power brakes were to fail, but apart from that her size is not an issue for either of us. We took a long trip last summer during a time when for health reasons I could not drive and she did fine. Because of the ease of taking whatever kind of breaks are needed when and where we want to, it was probably far less fatiguing for her than a car trip would have been. We have traveled in a wide variety of ways and agree that our Class B is the best of them all.
Austinrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 04:36 PM   #73
Platinum Member

Split the difference - take the car, pitch a tent.

This thread makes me glad I only have a "Class B-minus".

BTW: Spent last weekend with my bro-in-law with his Sprinter-based Itasca. My sister-in-law was "uncomfortable" driving it until she drove it. Seems she found the 24-footer easy to drive and even park. (Back-up camera with sound to provide her with "directions" were a big help.) Now she's behind the wheel as much as her old man.

Old 06-15-2018, 04:40 PM   #74
Bronze Member

I'd rather go anyplace with my RoadTrek 190 Popular. I can go anywhere a large pickup can. My pet dog is comfortable. We can stop at roadside food stands and small restaurants. In fact last Thanksgiving we stayed in New Orleans and drove it around the French Quarter. Now that is tight! But, we did just fine. It has a ready made relief station and with its kitchen and fridge, we just stop at roadside parks for lunch. $22 a night at State Parks also beats $85- $125 at economical motels, which are all right by the freeway.

As to gas mileage, with the wind, 17.5 mph is common and 15.5 is normal. My Toyota Tacoma pickup gets about the same.

In the end my vote is 100% for the RoadTrek. DW
DWorrell3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 04:50 PM   #75
Silver Member

Default Car or Class B

Agree with most of the responses.
- sleep better in the RV
- we can find better places to stop, cook, and sleep than most hotels can
- when my wife is driving I can go to the bathroom
- our coffee maker with our coffee
- if we need to cover a lot of miles, the non driver can get real good rest and then drive
- you get the idea, the RV is better for vacations/exploring AND for road trips; (my wife hates hauling all of her stuff into a hotel and then leaving something behind.)
tex4judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 05:05 PM   #76

I bought our B to travel in. So travel the highways and byways I will!
nowitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:02 PM   #77

Looking at the costs only, all the options are pretty much equal: plane+rental car+restaurants+hotels or car+hotel+restaurants or RV + more gazoline+ less for sleeping and eating. The difference is more on how much time you loose to find food, the quality of sleep, the environment where you sleep. So ask yourself if you will do more city touring than country/parks touring. You want to compare for yourself ? Set up an Excel spreadsheet and put down your own estimates
Old 06-15-2018, 06:15 PM   #78

Amen Dave D. I still work full time and have been across the country three times in the last four years. We see what we want, stop when we are curious, eat and sleep when & where we want. We get all this l for about $100 per day in a 2014 Sprinter. And for the most part, it's easier to drive and more comfortable than our cars.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 11:58 PM   #79
Bronze Member

Default Cross country

We prefer the RV on long trips because we have everything we need with us. It is probably more expensive but not significantly., like double or triple. The downside is your local travel if you are staying somewhere for a time, however, again we like it because we have our food, water, bathroom , etc with us. AND if my wife decided to shop for awhile I have a comfortable place to relax...a good, AC,TV, msp,well you get the picture.
As far as your wife getting used to driving. If you use the interstate she could spend time behind the wheel there to become more comfortable. There are large stretches from Nevada to Iowa with absolutely nothing there. Then you relieve her in city traffic or other situations. My wife will drive ours anywhere and once comfortable yours will too.
Gary Mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 01:25 AM   #80
Platinum Member

Default Thanks Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Mn View Post
We prefer the RV on long trips because we have everything we need with us. It is probably more expensive but not significantly., like double or triple. The downside is your local travel if you are staying somewhere for a time, however, again we like it because we have our food, water, bathroom , etc with us. AND if my wife decided to shop for awhile I have a comfortable place to relax...a good, AC,TV, msp,well you get the picture.
As far as your wife getting used to driving. If you use the interstate she could spend time behind the wheel there to become more comfortable. There are large stretches from Nevada to Iowa with absolutely nothing there. Then you relieve her in city traffic or other situations. My wife will drive ours anywhere and once comfortable yours will too.

Your idea of having her drive on the interstate is an EXCELLENT suggestion. We took so many back roads on the last trip and also two lane highways through scenic passes... AND extremely windy conditions... should be better with the new suspension...

Just replied to your last private message... see my question about the front seat beds...
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote