Old 01-16-2016, 04:15 AM   #1

Default Quartzsite RV show this week!

I am going to the Quartzsite AZ RV, rock and mineral, and Indian Pow Wow this week for the first time. I bought a new 2015 Winnebago ERA 70A last November, so I am not looking for a new coach. I do need help on satellite TV and solar panel purchases. Will there be seminars there or just sales booths? Is there dedicated parking near the Big Tent for B-class motorhomes? Is there anything in particular I should not miss? I will be there for 3 days. Thank you for any suggestions!

eeltinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 12:59 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I highly recommend the Dish Tailgater. You don't need to mount it on the roof - helpful when you want to park in the shade and still want to watch TV.

Also with the service, it's month to month, no contract. You can use it for the season and have it off the rest of the year.

wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 01:42 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I was at Quartzsite last February and will most likely go there again next month. January is the big month there but I know little about it. In February you have no problem finding campsites.

I'm not looking to buy anything and I like to avoid crowds.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 04:19 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Tracking systems are great if you need TV while on the road- overpasses or tree lined roads can interrupt the signal.

You have to pick a place to park with clear shot at the satellite- and on the systems I know care has to be taken to turn the tracking system off 'cause if the signal is interrupted the dish will continually rotate and maybe burn out a motor drive diode.
( my experience is with rock band tour buses).
Previous to these tracking systems, we would have a dish on a piece of plywood in the bay.
And when parked, with compass and smarts would point the dish at the sky while the other guy reads off the signal meter on the TV ( I later came up with a wireless headphone system on the TV so I could hear the beeps when aiming).
on the buses we have always used DTV.
I had dish at home years ago, but was frustrated that the introductory offers were 1/2 what i was paying...so I switched to DTV at home.
I am now looking to dump DTV, subscription costs have almost doubled and video quality has not kept up with cable/phone providers

In my RV I have a crank up TV antenna which gets me local channels ( tvtowers app for IOS)

Our $120 samsung TV from costco accepts a USB thumbdrive- I have hundreds of movies and tv series stored on the drive(s)- these can be watched anywhere, anytime.

I may cruise over to Quartzite and have a look. I am going to anaheim next week for a trade show and may stop on the way out or on the return to phx
Interested is seeing what is being offered.

Frankly, I'd always thought the quartzite thing was a bunch of cheap nuts tearing up the desert.

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 04:46 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quartzsite has a lot of private campgrounds with various services mostly in town. North and south of town are BLM managed dispersed campsite campgrounds. The ones north of town are free and have no facilities, not even vault toilets. They do have a host who issues a pass to put on your windshield. The campgrounds south of Quartzsite are dispersed but longterm stay and there are some vault toilets, office, etc. There is a very nominal seasonal fee there.

We stayed at a BLM campground north of town about 2 miles away. You just drive around until you find a level spot and park in any direction you desire. There are loose rocks and many of them have been built up for fire rings. The few days we stayed there we were at least 200 feet away from the next nearest RV. They just sort of disperse that way voluntarily.

2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:05 PM   #6

Default Quartzsite and TVs

Regarding Quartzsite, I made a reservation at the Hampton Inn in Blythe (with a military discount) before I bought the Winnebago. It's 22 miles to Quartzsite. As all the best campgrounds in Quartzsite seem to be booked, I am going to motel it this time.

Regarding TVs, I received this email from Winnegard regarding their newest antenna:

The RoadTrip T4 (RT2035T) is another option. This satellite isn't available currently but should be within the next couple of weeks. Functionality wise it'll work the same as the RoadTrip Mission but it will be smaller. The T4 has a diameter of 14.3" and a height of 13.5".

I hope I can install it behind my roof air conditioner at the rear of the coach. I do have a lot of DVDs and a 18GB Verizon Jetpack for streaming Amazon Prime, but I love NFL/NBA and my wife has to have Bravo/HGTV!
eeltinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 09:12 PM   #7
Site Team

If you are camping where you have Internet access, you can just get a Slingbox and use your home satellite (or cable) service. Works extremely well.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:16 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
....Slingbox ....
This can require very good bandwidth at your location and very good upload bandwidth at your home...if your home upload is slow it doesn;t matter what your download speed is.

As an early adopter of sling I can say that this company has NO problems with forced upgrades of software or firmware which may disable your system or reduce functionality.

They have a record of not supporting legacy ( older products) and I think that current owners ( dish) look forward to new customers, not back to existing customers.

they are moving to a subscription basis- rather than selling hardware which allows the owner to view home programming ( sat/cable)...this gives them monthly $$

I have a useless slingplayer sitting in a box...it don;t work no more due to changes at the mothership ( "this device unrecognized" ) and a forced update.

mike
Old 01-18-2016, 06:06 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
This can require very good bandwidth at your location and very good upload bandwidth at your home...if your home upload is slow it doesn;t matter what your download speed is.

As an early adopter of sling I can say that this company has NO problems with forced upgrades of software or firmware which may disable your system or reduce functionality.

They have a record of not supporting legacy ( older products) and I think that current owners ( dish) look forward to new customers, not back to existing customers.

they are moving to a subscription basis- rather than selling hardware which allows the owner to view home programming ( sat/cable)...this gives them monthly $$

I have a useless slingplayer sitting in a box...it don;t work no more due to changes at the mothership ( "this device unrecognized" ) and a forced update.

mike
I have not had the same experience. I have several very old Sling devices that still work just fine. Not sure what the difference is.

I also disagree about bandwidth. Watching HD takes a lot of bandwidth, it is true. But one of the reasons I recommend Sling in particular is that they have industry-leading adaptive compression. That is, they will gracefully degrade the resolution to match conditions -- whether upbound at your home or downbound at your campsite. We have always been able to watch video even with connections that barely supported web browsing. Crappy video, yes, but always watchable.

I liked Sling better before they were acquired, but it is still a viable technology, and in some ways it is best of class.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:01 AM   #10
Platinum Member

stopped in at quartzite on my way home from a music trade show in anaheim. 90% of the vendors are of the kind that show up at every fair/swap meet etc.
40% no relation to RV's- 30% some RV application, 30% RV centric- lots of rv park time share type offers

I will say that much of the electrical stuff was off-brand, and anything I might have recognized from camping world/walmart- like camco stuff was priced high I thought.

same old bbq/burger/hot dog vendors as anywhere else.

worthwhile stop to stretch my legs and refill coffee.

"show" ended this evening- some of the vendors said they were off to another "show" in the bay area

quartzite has 3 gas stations and usually priced 10~15 better than the other stations to the East and West

Mike