Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2014, 03:40 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default quieting onan 2800 with resonator

although this may have been posted before I though this might be helpful to people with onan 2800

[youtube:2duaqc9c]gQboSPqKtfE[/youtube:2duaqc9c]
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 05:22 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: quieting onan 2800 with resonator

That sounded like an improvement, at least over my computer speakers. I see that a few people asked how much and where to buy but no response from the guy. I might have to look into one of those as I hate the sound of my 2.8, maybe at Napa or muffler shop.
AK49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 05:32 PM   #3
Platinum Member

amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Cummins-Power-Gen ... +resonator

adventure rv

http://www.adventurerv.net/onan-exhaust ... -5144.html

dyers

http://www.dyersonline.com/cummins-onan ... nator.html
Old 05-02-2014, 06:21 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Thank-you!
Old 05-02-2014, 06:59 PM   #5
Platinum Member

That is the standard Onan resonator that we put on ours. It doesn't really make it much quieter from DB standpoint, but it makes the noise much less harsh and irritating. Definitely worth the money and effort to install IMO.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:19 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster
That is the standard Onan resonator that we put on ours. It doesn't really make it much quieter from DB standpoint, but it makes the noise much less harsh and irritating. Definitely worth the money and effort to install IMO.

do you also use the Super trapp 3s with it that i've seen reccomended?

this rvnet post has some pictures of both

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fusea ... 281511.cfm
Old 05-02-2014, 07:49 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51
Quote:

We never tried the Supertrap. Read a bunch about it, primarily when Rodger was messing with his and moderator on RV.net. Always looked like mixed results with the possibility of increased back pressure or other issues with the Onan system. Onan makes a big deal about non Onan parts in the exhaust, but I really haven't heard of any failures in modified ones to this point. And Onan has never said if the exhaust is tuned to the rpm, which might mean even a pipe longer or shorter might be an issue. I do believe they are a bit over cautious.

I think before we would add more mufflers of whatever kind, I would do some sort of Genturi system to get the noise and fumes up and away. Ours exits out the back now, and aims a bit down, both of which seem to help. along with the resonator. It is still noisy to try to sleep with the genny and AC on, though.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:55 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51
Quote:

We never tried the Supertrap. Read a bunch about it, primarily when Rodger was messing with his and moderator on RV.net. Always looked like mixed results with the possibility of increased back pressure or other issues with the Onan system. Onan makes a big deal about non Onan parts in the exhaust, but I really haven't heard of any failures in modified ones to this point. And Onan has never said if the exhaust is tuned to the rpm, which might mean even a pipe longer or shorter might be an issue. I do believe they are a bit over cautious.

I think before we would add more mufflers of whatever kind, I would do some sort of Genturi system to get the noise and fumes up and away. Ours exits out the back now, and aims a bit down, both of which seem to help. along with the resonator. It is still noisy to try to sleep with the genny and AC on, though.
if i get a ranger-and i am leaning toward at i will use the resonator and supertrap as "slip-ons" when parked and remove while traveling-not the perfect solution but one i'm cofortable with. thanks
Old 05-02-2014, 10:00 PM   #9
Silver Member

The resonator has to be welded in to work properly.
Caped Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:38 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caped Crusader
The resonator has to be welded in to work properly.

although some people have had pipes cut and welded onan themselves says one and 1/2 inch pipe clamp.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:15 PM   #11
Platinum Member

yep-lots of clamped ones out there.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:36 AM   #12
Silver Member

getting the clamps air tight can be a problem. Easy to cut the exhaust pipe, and weld it in ($20 job) and then you don't have to worry about it. I don't think sticking it on the end of the exhaust pipe works as well as putting it inline. Also, I would worry about someone getting burnt on the pipe sticking out.

Here is the way I did mine, and this guy did a nice job making a new hanger for the exhaust pipe.
Getting the pipe away from the van body helps a lot with the vibration noise.
http://roadtreklife.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... nator.html
Old 05-12-2014, 08:10 PM   #13
Platinum Member

The 2.8 gas onan I have has a tailpipe diameter of 1.5" (0D). The resonator I had in my hands a couple of days ago was exactly the same diameter and would only "butt" up to the tailpipe, how are you guys attaching it to your system, the clamps would not work in my case. A double female or welding would work but I thought I would check around here. I found the resonator at an out of the way shop for 45.00 but put it back on the shelf after holding it up against the tailpipe for measurement. Maybe the guy on the video has a propane genny and the tailpipe is smaller than the gas genny.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:50 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK49er
The 2.8 gas onan I have has a tailpipe diameter of 1.5" (0D). The resonator I had in my hands a couple of days ago was exactly the same diameter and would only "butt" up to the tailpipe, how are you guys attaching it to your system, the clamps would not work in my case. A double female or welding would work but I thought I would check around here. I found the resonator at an out of the way shop for 45.00 but put it back on the shelf after holding it up against the tailpipe for measurement. Maybe the guy on the video has a propane genny and the tailpipe is smaller than the gas genny.
That is very interesting, as ours has a 1 1/4" tailpipe on it, and our install manual says 1 1/4". I found an older website that had a photo with dimensions for the 155-2449 and it said it had a 1 3/8" OD, which is what ours appears to be. The tubing is usually 18 ga, which is about .05", so our 1 1/4" OD slipped inside of the resonator very nicely. The link information for that same resonator says it has 1 1/2" OD, and the new Onan literature lists the exhaust at 1 1/2". It is all very confusing.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:00 PM   #15
Silver Member

From Amazon resonator $43.80

Product Description
For use with MicroLite, Marquis and Emerald gensets. Softens exhaust noise and can reduce sound levels in some installations up to one dB(A). Constructed of aluminized steel, and mates with standard 11/2" (O.D.) exhaust pipe. Requires a 11/2" (38 MM) O.D. pipe clamp. Exhaust Resonator
Old 05-12-2014, 10:04 PM   #16
Platinum Member

I think what it must be is that the resonator is actually 1 3/8" OD, which would make it slip inside of a 1 1/2" pipe with the stated 1 1/2" clamp fitting the pipe. At 1 3/8" a 1 1/4" OD pipe like we have would fit inside of the resonator.

AK--could you have a 1 3/8" pipe on yours and not a 1 1/2"?
Old 05-12-2014, 10:31 PM   #17
Silver Member

When I cut the exhaust pipe the resonator slid over both ends, then I welded it, it did NOT butt up to the ends.
I think there is only one size resonator, so it sounds like his exhaust pipe has a larger od.
The resonator has a 1.37" od.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:42 PM   #18
Platinum Member

If I hadn't tried the resonator against my tailpipe I would agree with you guys. I guess regardless of diameter it is a butt connection. Caped Crusader could have this one figured out, inboard of the tip could be a smaller diameter pipe and the resonator could then slip over both ends after they are cut. I think I will crawl underneath the rig later and measure unless someone else chimes in and sets me straight.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:45 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caped Crusader
When I cut the exhaust pipe the resonator slid over both ends, then I welded it, it did NOT butt up to the ends.
I think there is only one size resonator, so it sounds like his exhaust pipe has [img]http:/www.americanrvcompany.com/assets/images/cumminsonan/155-2449.jpg[img]
You must have the 1 1/4" pipe like we do, if the resonator went over the pipe. AK has to have and odd pipe or one that has been expanded?
Old 05-12-2014, 10:47 PM   #20
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK49er
If I hadn't tried the resonator against my tailpipe I would agree with you guys. I guess regardless of diameter it is a butt connection. Caped Crusader could have this one figured out, inboard of the tip could be a smaller diameter pipe and the resonator could then slip over both ends after they are cut. I think I will crawl underneath the rig later and measure unless someone else chimes in and sets me straight.
The resonator has a 1.37" od if that helps.

My exhaust pipe was all the same diameter, the resonator would have slipped over the end if I would have chosen to do it that way.