Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2018, 01:34 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Angry Ram ProMaster water draining onto engine

For those that own a Ram ProMaster van/camper there is a large discussion about water draining into the engine compartment. This water can cause damage to the serpentine belt and electronics on the drivers side when water gets into the engine compartment. Here is the URL about this problem.
https://www.promasterforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=84639
I have this same problem on my Winnebago Trend and correcting the problem. Reports of serpentine belt breaking from frozen water and electronic problems from water intrusion.

MLogan
2017 Trend 23D
Smyrna, TN
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 01:28 PM   #2
Bronze Member

I have been fighting that issue since I got my 2015 Pleasure-Way Lexor TS. I took it to the dealer at that time and they didn't know what to do. I am out of the warranty period but FCA has told me if there is a fix it will be done under warranty since there is a work order for it. I have also filed a claim with NHSTA, two weeks ago, and they have replied with more questions which I answered.

Did you solve the issue and if so what did you do?
Thank you.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:17 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Here are photos of what I have done to slow water getting into the engine bay. I have sealed the middle of the cowl, as there is a foam piece between the two pieces, as the foam does not stop water from dripping. Even after sealing the middle seam, it still leaks some.

MLogan
Trend 23D
Smyrna, TN
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hood Rubber Seal.JPG (1,015.4 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Seal alonside headlight.JPG (695.3 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg Space between Hood and body.JPG (751.2 KB, 57 views)
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:31 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Thank you for the fast reply.
I did something like you did where the hood meets the body and headlight. I used a "D" profile weather stripping which is 1/4" high on the hood and the body. A little water still got in. I put 3M #33 tape on the seam. I have also put tape on the part of the seal on the driver's side to the windshield where there is a gap.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:05 PM   #5
Silver Member

Hi
My Ram is 2018, with the same problem, FCA dealer changed the cowl with same factory part so that did not help much. So I went to a windshield replacement center and asked to seal the cowl to the windshield plus seal the center seam, and install rubber seals along the hood sides saying that if I ever need to replace the windshield the same guys would need to unglue the cowl to the windshield. According to users on the Rampromaster forum this water infiltration problem has been on the Ram since 2014, therefore I did not take any chances to wait for FCA and get fog in my headlamps, water freezing on the serpentine,electrical problems caused by water, rust developing on the top of engine or near the spark plugs, or having check engine light coming on.
Paul the Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 05:28 PM   #6

Has anyone found a good solution to the cowl leaking into the engine? I have seen DIY tape and caulk solutions.
johnjohnjohnjohn is offline   Reply With Quote