Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2017, 11:58 AM   #1
Gold Member

Question Rear Door Mounted Ladder

Good morning fellow enthusiasts. I trust all are well. I was thinking about adding an aluminum ladder to the rear door of my 2014 190 Popular (2013 Chevy Chassis). I searched and I probably missed any prior post on the subject. My reasoning for doing so are:

1. Have ability to reach AC area/roof if needed whilst underway;
2. Potential mount location for rear area light;
3. Potential mount location for antenna (2 way radio);
4. Potential mount location for outdoor chairs;
5. And the least important and functional reason, I think they look nice, call me weird...

Anyway if any of you fine folks have any ideas or have done the same, I respectfully request your guidance/experience/comment with the project.

Have a wonderful day! Best. Shorty sends...

Blessed with way more than I deserve.
Shore-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 12:53 PM   #2
Silver Member

Ladders are great. Check this one out:

https://www.americanvan.com/prime-de...s-ladders.html

No drilling!

I especially like the ladder / roof rack set up on the new Winnebagos. It allows you to remove the ladder from the rear door and hang it on the roof rack anywhere on the drivers side giving you access to the whole roof. I have not seen this set up available available as an aftermarket accessory yet. Too bad, it's a great idea.
fruch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 01:30 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I agree about the Winnebago option, but also haven't found it anywhere else.

Dumb question: when a ladder is door-mounted, isn't the extra weight on the door damaging to the hinges? I mean the person-weight, not the ladder all by itself.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:05 PM   #4
Silver Member

Interesting question. I know that the door hinges I see on these vans are usually pretty hefty, they look like they can handle some weight. They have been putting ladders on van doors for years and I never heard of any problems. This is only a guess, but the door is usually closed when someone is climbing on the ladder, maybe when the door is closed and the ladder is being used, some of the weight on the ladder is transferred to the door jamb, taking some of the stress off the hinges? But I could be wrong.
fruch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 05:15 PM   #5
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruch View Post
Interesting question. I know that the door hinges I see on these vans are usually pretty hefty, they look like they can handle some weight. They have been putting ladders on van doors for years and I never heard of any problems. This is only a guess, but the door is usually closed when someone is climbing on the ladder, maybe when the door is closed and the ladder is being used, some of the weight on the ladder is transferred to the door jamb, taking some of the stress off the hinges? But I could be wrong.
This is my thought process as well. I really cant see a situation where I would need to be on the ladder with the door open?

Am hoping to get responses as well from folks who have the Chevy double door configurations and have a ladder mounted on same.

Thanks to all. Best. Shorty sends...

Blessed with way more than I deserve.
Shore-T is offline   Reply With Quote