Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2019, 04:14 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Rear door power door lock inop

Picked up a 1999 Pleasure Way Excel RD this week. Dodge chassis. The power door locks work on all but the big rear door. Reading the Dodge Shop manual that came with the unit, it sounds like the first thing to do is test the door lock motor in that door. My question is about removing the inner panel on that door. Does anyone know how it's held on? I don't want to go breaking parts due to ignorance. Can I just gently pry the panel off at the edges? Or are there hidden screws I need to find? Thanks for any hints.
RV-there-yet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 11:05 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Does yours have fabric covered "buttons" on the rear panel?
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 12:29 AM   #3
Bronze Member

Yes it does.
Old 07-29-2019, 02:54 AM   #4
Platinum Member

I would try to look under them and see if there are any screws before going around the outside with a panel removal tool. My PW is a 97. In storage right now so I can't check but I did try to remove the panel once and found it to be secure around the edge. So I think you're right on that count. I didn't see any other purpose for those buttons but to cover fasteners. If you do give it a shot, let me know the result. I might have to do it some day also.

BTW: I had contemplated it because I noticed a bit of rust on the spare tire carrier. I was going to pull that off and have it powder coated. That bolts into the door body....somewhere.
Old 07-29-2019, 04:50 PM   #5
Gold Member

I agree with GallenH's comments.The fabric covered buttons easily pry off and snap back on. I needed to remove the inner panel of my '95 Dodge PW about a month ago. It was an easy "pry off". I took it off because I needed to remove the back window "clamps" to get at the window seal. Found out the hard way that if you ever remove the 3 screws holding each of those clamps to the door, there is a back plate behind into which the screws are fastened. The back plates are not attached to the door and will fall down behind the inner panel when the screws are removed.
Also, my rear door lock has never locked/unlocked from the power lock switch. I've never considered that to be a problem
LesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 03:12 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Just for clarification: On my 97 the power lock/unlock does include the back
door. BTW: It looks like you are on the right track. I have the service manual for the 1996 Dodge Ram van/wagon and took a look at it. The 97 PW was built on that chassis. It makes sense that if all other locks operate the rear door motor could be faulty. The wiring diagram for mine shows "door contacts" in the path to the motor. I'm guessing that the door has to be closed for the locks to work. Could these contacts be faulty/dirty? Again, my RV is in storage but if you see the contacts on the door/door frame you might try shooting some electrical contact cleaner into them. But that's just a guess.
Old 07-31-2019, 02:47 AM   #7
Bronze Member

Default Update: problem solved

Based on advice received on a PW owners forum I found and cleaned the rear door contacts (good call, GallenH). Five minutes with a rag, WD40 and a small welders wire brush and the rear door locks work again. I never did get the rear panel off, but I may someday pop those buttons off just to see.
Old 08-04-2019, 10:30 PM   #8

Default Buttons on the door

My rear door lock doesn't work either (1997 Leisure Travel on a Dodge chassis). Pried off the buttons that uncover the phillips scews. Take the screws out. Pry off the 2 covers for the inside door handle and unscrew. Same for the handle at the bottom of the window.
The panel comes right off then.
Mine needs the door lock power actuator and am having a tough time finding it.
soutram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 09:36 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Hello.
I have a 97 RT, on the Dodge chassis.
Mine is simple ,couple of screws and it kinda pops off.
Be careful the panel it self is like a thick compress almost cardboard.
And with age they become brittle.
So, use the proper tool for removal. Or be very careful.
Once that is done you will likely find that the plastic parts of the actuator have failed.
My double side doors and rear door both have failed.
These items can be found , but are a little pricey.
If you are very lucky your wiring connection has just come off.
If it was working and stopped, that is likely not the case.
If you can hear the actuator “working” and it does not open .....again it probably ihas broken plastic parts.
Anyway,I wish you the best of luck.
Eddie
Eraygunz is offline   Reply With Quote