Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2018, 04:42 AM   #1

Default Rear Entry Fiberglass B+?

Ive seen (and love) the American Cruisers and the Born Free's and love the idea of rear entry. I am considering Fiberglass B+ options, like Starflyte or Coachmen?

Any ideas?

EDIT:

Some guy on "Youtube" said they were all copying the Chinook, which is cool i guess.
babelfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 03:03 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I've not seen a single one of those new in almost a decade. Since the "B" industry moved from augmenting vans with fiberglass shells (like the PW Excel or the RT 210), rear entry rigs are extinct.

It would be nice, though.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 02:05 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Rear entry ten years ago on several nice rigs? Yep. And remember those small Cs and As that had huge windows across the back? Sometimes I wonder if the old isn't better than the new. We re-acquired our 2007 Roadtrek last year because we didn't see the quality of fit and finish with the new ones we had enjoyed on our old Roadtrek. What is so wrong with the tried and true like rear entry, 3 way refrigerators, a six gallon hot water tank and a ( sometimes noisy) Onan generator?

I have been reading the postings here concerning Sprinters. I conclude that I am either not smart enough to own one and understand its complexities, or in the alternative maybe I just really enjoy using my Chevy and not worrying about such deep engineering/mechanical procedures and worries. We have owned Bs and Cs for thirty-five years and got each one to enjoy, travel and just plain enhance life.

Rear doors were great!
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:13 PM   #4

Thank you, Doneworking for sharing!

You took many of the words right out of my mouth. The search continues!
babelfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:08 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doneworking View Post
Rear entry ten years ago on several nice rigs? Yep. And remember those small Cs and As that had huge windows across the back? Sometimes I wonder if the old isn't better than the new. We re-acquired our 2007 Roadtrek last year because we didn't see the quality of fit and finish with the new ones we had enjoyed on our old Roadtrek. What is so wrong with the tried and true like rear entry, 3 way refrigerators, a six gallon hot water tank and a ( sometimes noisy) Onan generator?

I have been reading the postings here concerning Sprinters. I conclude that I am either not smart enough to own one and understand its complexities, or in the alternative maybe I just really enjoy using my Chevy and not worrying about such deep engineering/mechanical procedures and worries. We have owned Bs and Cs for thirty-five years and got each one to enjoy, travel and just plain enhance life.

Rear doors were great!
I'm with you there. I get so grumpy when I see newer rigs, and it seems the adage "they don't make them like they used to" greatly applies. Everything from the old Airstream vans with the loft, the vans that RV style door entrances (not noisy sliding doors), propane fridges that had thicker tubing and could run without battery... all for a fraction of the price that a new rig has.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:25 PM   #6
Bronze Member

The Chinook Class B+ RV had a rear entry door. They has a one-piece rear fiberglass section behing the cab.\

I have a 1998 Coachmen Starflyte. The rear section is also fiberglass but is 5 sections put together - (instead of one piece like the Chinook). However, it is still a very sturdy and nice looking RV I like mine a lot. However, Starflytes have a side door, but they have nice layouts. There are 3 different interior layouts.

David
TatraDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:03 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doneworking View Post
Rear doors were great!
Well, yes and no. It certainly helps the setting up of the interior floor plan but if you are using the hitch, you end up entering and leaving the coach from the driver or passenger door because the rear door access doesn't work very well.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote