Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2019, 07:58 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdean925 View Post
I’m kinda highjacking this thread, but when I read you ordered a new Sprinter I needed to ask you a question. We live in MN north of the Twin Cities. We want to purchase a Sprinter, but are concerned about finding the ULSD 5%. Also, does the 15ppm Sulfur Maximum still qualify as ULSD 5%?
We have read the previous threads (& sometimes controversial) about this issue.
Yes, we have the page from Mercedes Benz on the continuous use of B20 can lead to fuel filter clogging & injector deposits...can cause engine performance degradation.
But I read you live in MN (not sure of your current MN location) and respect your opinion. How do you find fuel stations with the ULSD 5% in MN & when traveling—do you use an App?
I don't worry about it. I have 81,000 miles on our latest Sprinter RV. It is warranted for 100,000 miles and 5 years. That alone tells you MB may not like B5-20 biofuel but they cover it with precautionary caveats that don't affect the warranty. There are many Sprinters in Minnesota operating in not so great conditions like idling, stop and go driving and low speeds than my mostly highway mile driving. I live in the Twin Cities so when returning through Wisconsin I will top off in Hudson, WI on the border but some stations will sell B5-20 in Wisconsin and Illinois sells B5-20. You can't escape it it coming from the east. The refiners never sold anything above B10 in Minnesota. As far as I am concerned it's overblown and the Nox censors perhaps were not robust enough and failed, not the engines. Nox censors are covered for 100,000 miles. Almost all engines parts have problems or need to be replaced at 100,000 miles and you need to maintain them.

It is pretty much unknown if the 2019 Sprinters have improved the situation.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:17 PM   #22
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I don't worry about it. I have 81,000 miles on our latest Sprinter RV. It is warranted for 100,000 miles and 5 years. That alone tells you MB may not like B5-20 biofuel but they cover it with precautionary caveats that don't affect the warranty. There are many Sprinters in Minnesota operating in not so great conditions like idling, stop and go driving and low speeds than my mostly highway mile driving. I live in the Twin Cities so when returning through Wisconsin I will top off in Hudson, WI on the border but some stations will sell B5-20 in Wisconsin and Illinois sells B5-20. You can't escape it it coming from the east. The refiners never sold anything above B10 in Minnesota. As far as I am concerned it's overblown and the Nox censors perhaps were not robust enough and failed, not the engines. Nox censors are covered for 100,000 miles. Almost all engines parts have problems or need to be replaced at 100,000 miles and you need to maintain them.

Your info is very helpful. Thank you very much.
Rdean925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:17 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Default Emissions system replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post

Dave, thanks for sharing ... I agree that the hysteria about the biodiesel is way over blown... I mean, there's a legion of Federal Express Sprinters on the road and in cities....

I find that it really does not take a lot to light somebody's hair on fire., if you know what I mean.

I did have a problem with my emissions system; it was using an excessive amount of DEF... bottom line, it blew out a back pressure exhaust sensor and Mercedes Benz dealership checked it out and replaced the entire system including the Nox sensors, Cats and updated the software....I was relieved to hear that it was covered under warranty.....I was lucky.

As for the Mercedes Benz Sprinter... keep driving and doing highway miles to keep the diesel particulate filter in good shape.

More frequent oil changes will definitely be desirable with the use of the biodiesel B20.
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote