Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-03-2016, 07:47 PM   #1
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4
Default Recalls

When you buy a new automobile the dealer is suppose to take care of any recalls before delivery.
When it comes to a class B, is the manufacturer or the rv dealer responsible for this or is this for the new owner to do?
Do the Promasters have Takata air bags?
__________________

Doubletap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:45 PM   #2
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 881
Default

you can try the vin on the nhtsa website.
The motorhome company issues the vin and should be responsible for recall repairs- and I'm sure they have a way to settle with teh chassis manufacturer who will settle with takata

as far as the takata shrapnel surprise- our toyota just made it onto the list, but the dealer/toyota has yet to allow us in for repair....
even though we have known for 2 years plus that our car has the death pillow as original equipment

1st and last toyota- that's for sure!
( for a double handful of reasons)

mike
__________________

mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 12:06 AM   #3
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,136
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap View Post
When you buy a new automobile the dealer is suppose to take care of any recalls before delivery.
Recalls normally happen long after delivery of new vehicles... often years later. I have received letters from the manufacturers of my cars if there was a recall.

Same with the RV. If there is a recall on my Chevy based B, I would expect to receive a letter from Chevrolet and for them to set up repairs.

As to the converter of the B, I would expect them to inform me if there was a recall on the fridge or AC or whatever else they added to my vehicle. They have no responsibility as to the part built by GM.

If you want to learn about new Promaster air bags, call Dodge and ask. I wouldn't expect the 2016s to have the Takatas that seem to affect cars manufactured from 2002-2015. It isn't merely Toyota, but BMW, Chrysler, Daimler Trucks, Ford, General Motors, Honda, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Subaru and Toyota.

Looks like everyone was using this company, but perhaps not for every model.
__________________
Mumkin
2019 Roadtrek Simplicity SRT (almost a Zion)
2015 Roadtrek 170
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 03:53 AM   #4
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,242
Default

Actually, due to the shortage of replacement airbags some automakers are still installing the defective airbags in new vehicles and the vehicles will be recalled within 2 years...

Defective Takata Air Bags Still Being Installed In New Cars : The Two-Way : NPR
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 04:45 PM   #5
Platinum Member
 
Boxster1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 906
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
you can try the vin on the nhtsa website.
The motorhome company issues the vin and should be responsible for recall repairs- and I'm sure they have a way to settle with teh chassis manufacturer who will settle with takata

as far as the takata shrapnel surprise- our toyota just made it onto the list, but the dealer/toyota has yet to allow us in for repair....
even though we have known for 2 years plus that our car has the death pillow as original equipment

1st and last toyota- that's for sure!
( for a double handful of reasons)

mike
On Class-B vans the "VIN" assigned by the motorhome company is pretty much useless. It will not be recognized by your DMV, insurance or for any van chassis warranty issues including recalls. Recalls on the chassis like airbags are the responsibility of the vehicle manufacturer like Daimler Vans, Ford, GM or FCA. To check for airbag recalls on your van use the VIN assigned by the vehicle manufacturer.

Of course there can also be recalls on the motorhome components added by the converter such as the house battery or propane systems.
__________________
2013 Airstream Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter 3500 170Ext
Formerly: 1973 Dodge B300 DIY pop-top conversion
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 04:53 PM   #6
Platinum Member
 
Boxster1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 906
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
Actually, due to the shortage of replacement airbags some automakers are still installing the defective airbags in new vehicles and the vehicles will be recalled within 2 years...

Defective Takata Air Bags Still Being Installed In New Cars : The Two-Way : NPR
That is an interesting story - guess the auto manufacturers don't want to stop production and sales. What a mess that could have been prevented years ago. There was a good Bloomberg article on this subject in early June.
Sixty Million Car Bombs: Inside Takata’s Air Bag Crisis - Bloomberg
__________________
2013 Airstream Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter 3500 170Ext
Formerly: 1973 Dodge B300 DIY pop-top conversion
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:15 AM   #7
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 16
Default

So the upfitter creates a VIN. Will the chassis supplier (OEM) VIN plate still be on the front dash even after the conversion of the van is complete?
slim4511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:26 AM   #8
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,242
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim4511 View Post
So the upfitter creates a VIN. Will the chassis supplier (OEM) VIN plate still be on the front dash even after the conversion of the van is complete?
The chassis VIN plate does not get changed, the chassis VIN continues with the chassis after the conversion.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:50 AM   #9
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,136
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim4511 View Post
So the upfitter creates a VIN. Will the chassis supplier (OEM) VIN plate still be on the front dash even after the conversion of the van is complete?
The VIN stays the same... that is why some states use the date of manufacture of the van, not the conversion. You often have to point this out, and your state may correct to the year of the conversion. (can be up to two years difference)

But the official VIN is still the one assigned by GM, Ford, Dodge or whoever.

This can also cause problems with your insurance and the company is only insuring the van. Be sure to check your first policy on a new rig. It happened to me with my 170.
__________________

__________________
Mumkin
2019 Roadtrek Simplicity SRT (almost a Zion)
2015 Roadtrek 170
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×