Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-09-2016, 12:01 AM   #1
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Ontario
Posts: 17
Default Recaulking

Hi All,
The seam where the roof meets the body on my 2001 Leisure Travel Freedom, is starting to feel a bit hard and crack.

What is the recommended caulk/process to remove and replace the caulking?
__________________

silverchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 01:08 AM   #2
BBQ
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: East
Posts: 2,484
Default

__________________

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 01:24 AM   #3
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Ontario
Posts: 17
Default

Sorry, I should have specified it was fiberglass to fiberglass

Right around the white line above the window in this photo
silverchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 01:26 AM   #4
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Ontario
Posts: 17
Default

Sorry, I should have specified it was fiberglass to fiberglass

Right around the white line above the window in this photo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tISi7k4.jpg (324.4 KB, 15 views)
silverchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 01:49 AM   #5
Bud
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: LA
Posts: 869
Default

Hi silverchris,

I used this on my Express Van, same place about 4-6 years ago - also a house roof about 4 years ago:

Lexel® by Sashco - Silicone Caulk Alternative

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 02:13 AM   #6
Platinum Member
 
Bruceper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 636
Default

You can probably use Dicor, but your best bet would be to go to a few rv dealers and ask them. They'll give you a few suggestions from what they sell.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:05 PM   #7
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Ontario
Posts: 17
Default

Ended up being recommend Geocel Proflex RV.

It seems to stick really well, and remain flexible so far. It also seems to bond to itself well, which is good if you put it on to thin in an area, and presumably down the road will make life easier if it gets ripped off or cut.

Only issue is it has a VERY short time where it is workable, which makes getting a smooth finish difficult.
silverchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:32 PM   #8
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Washington
Posts: 10
Default Leisure Travel Van

Hi, it looks like you have the same 2002 LTV I have. I had the same issue but mine was leaking and ended up having to go into the seam from inside and cut out a bunch of rust. Hope you caught it before it leaked. This is what I used and it working great.
Eternabond Eternacaulk White High Performance Sealant
by Eternacaulk by Eternabond
Link: http://a.co/iMgRuQS
On another subject about you LTV maybe you can help me out. When I bought my van the bumper cap that covers the sewage storage area was missing. I made a new one but since I never saw it in place I couldn't figure out how the latch worked. Any chance you can snap a picture of yours in the open position and post it here.
Thanks
Don
Dreesjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 11:37 PM   #9
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Ontario
Posts: 17
Default

Next time I am over were it is stored, I can grab you a photo of how mine is, which I believe is factory
Will likely be sometime this weekend
silverchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 02:30 AM   #10
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Washington
Posts: 10
Default

Thanks, appreciate your help.
Dreesjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 05:50 PM   #11
Platinum Member
 
Mat Mobile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Quebec
Posts: 206
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverchris View Post
Ended up being recommend Geocel Proflex RV.

It seems to stick really well, and remain flexible so far. It also seems to bond to itself well, which is good if you put it on to thin in an area, and presumably down the road will make life easier if it gets ripped off or cut.

Only issue is it has a VERY short time where it is workable, which makes getting a smooth finish difficult.
How did you end up removing the old caulk?

I might have to do the same between the body and coach of my RT.
Mat Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 03:02 AM   #12
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Ontario
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat Mobile View Post
How did you end up removing the old caulk?

I might have to do the same between the body and coach of my RT.
Most of it was removed using either a plastic scraper, razor scraper, or a pick, as it was silicone and didn't respond well to chemicals. It was a bit of a pain!
silverchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 03:04 AM   #13
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Ontario
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreesjr View Post
Hi, it looks like you have the same 2002 LTV I have. I had the same issue but mine was leaking and ended up having to go into the seam from inside and cut out a bunch of rust. Hope you caught it before it leaked. This is what I used and it working great.
Eternabond Eternacaulk White High Performance Sealant
by Eternacaulk by Eternabond
Link: http://a.co/iMgRuQS
On another subject about you LTV maybe you can help me out. When I bought my van the bumper cap that covers the sewage storage area was missing. I made a new one but since I never saw it in place I couldn't figure out how the latch worked. Any chance you can snap a picture of yours in the open position and post it here.
Thanks
Don
Hopefully this helps, Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
Let me know if you want any detail shots of anything!
silverchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 05:24 AM   #14
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Washington
Posts: 10
Default

Hi, thanks for the photos. I think they will help alot.
Don
__________________

Dreesjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×