Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2015, 07:35 PM   #1

Default Removing Graphics and Decals on New ERA 70A

In an earlier post I reported that we have recently decided to purchase a 2016 ERA 70A that had just happened to arrive at the local dealer's lot last week.

While I understand that Winnebago is now providing a no-charge option of "Exterior Graphics Delete", the unit that we will be picking up late next week comes with them. Since I would have preferred a plain looking unit without such graphics, my question is whether they can be removed retroactively from the exterior of the unit. For those of you who had done it before, how did you do that and were you happy with the results? Thanks!
s.k. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:50 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay
Default Re: Removing Graphics and Decals on New ERA 70A

You can have the dealer pull them or do it yourself with a lot of fingernail action. I'd have the dealer do it if you don't already have the unit....

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:58 PM   #3

I would ask the body repair guy at the dealership. You don't want to mess up your paint job. I was fortunate that the one on the lot when I was ready to buy had no graphics.
TinStarArabians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:40 PM   #4

It's great to hear that this can be done. We have not picked up the ERA yet, it will actually be the coming Friday. So I think I may still have time to ask the dealer if they could do it for me. Bob, could I assume that you did it yourself and how did it turn out?
s.k. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 11:41 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Seems odd that an RV manufacturer would put extra money into something people(forum members) don't want. The swoopy graphics could be something people would have to pay extra for. Maybe consumers want the graphics ?
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 11:48 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanw909
Seems odd that an RV manufacturer would put extra money into something people(forum members) don't want. The swoopy graphics could be something people would have to pay extra for. Maybe consumers want the graphics ?
My wife likes them on our Roadtrek, I could do without. I did remove the Roadrek advertising, phone number, etc they had on the back, as well as some of the gaudy phony chrome logos.

Hair dryer and a some patience and finger nail work, plus a little GooGone for any glue residue. Not hard to do at all.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 01:23 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.k.
It's great to hear that this can be done. We have not picked up the ERA yet, it will actually be the coming Friday. So I think I may still have time to ask the dealer if they could do it for me. Bob, could I assume that you did it yourself and how did it turn out?
I had the dealer take about half of ours off. It's a 2013 that had all the swoopy multi colored ones. It was part of the deal when we bought. A friend of ours that had the same model, took theirs off with a hair dryer and his fingernails. Ouch!

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:11 AM   #8
Silver Member

When I got my 2015 70a home I removed every decal and letter on it. Including the "Winnebago" and "ERA" stick on letters on the doors and roof.
It now has absolutely no identifying markings and IMO looks much better.

I used a hair dryer to soften the glue before peeling the decals/letters. Then I cleaned the left over glue with Naptha.
It was a bit of a tedious job removing the residual glue but it looks great and there is no evidence of the lettering ever being there.. Have Fun!
Old 05-14-2015, 12:36 AM   #9
Platinum Member

I like my new van - it has no stripes like the old one. Also, Winnebago stopped using a Touring Coach badge on the hood and also removed the gaudy RAM Promaster badging. I suspect the former was for cost cutting and the latter to not dilute their branding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:24 PM   #10

We just came in from an hour session to remove a two foot section of an over striped Pleasureway. Not fun. Best way we tried was with acetone and plastic scraper. Tried heat gun with no luck.
Anyone know of another product that will aid in removal? We dread getting into the remaining stripes.
Rontof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 01:50 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rontof View Post
We just came in from an hour session to remove a two foot section of an over striped Pleasureway. Not fun. Best way we tried was with acetone and plastic scraper. Tried heat gun with no luck.
Anyone know of another product that will aid in removal? We dread getting into the remaining stripes.
This is the best thing: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Mat Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:39 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Default Decal removal

Hi
Just a word of warning.
I work in auto restoration .
On a new vehicle , it is usually no problem to remove the tape.
How ever, if they have been on the vehicle a while.
They will be difficult to remove. And will almost always leave behind a "tale" that they where there.
And that "tale" is crazy hard to remove......even when repainting.
So, on any vehicle start with something small. To make sure you can get fit off with out to much trouble or with out still being able to see what was there.
Other wise you might start something that cost a BUNCH of money to fix.
They do make a spray on chemical that aids in removing decals.
But always spray some on a small out of sight area first...to ensure it does not affect the paint surface.
Good luck.
Cheers
Eddie
Eraygunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:50 PM   #13
Platinum Member

I've found if the stripes are sun faded, cracked and hard, they may be near impossible to get off. They make those eraser wheels for your drill to basically sand them off.

If they are still pliable, then they are much easier. I pulled them off my 18 year old Xplorer with just my fingernail. Parked out in the hot sun for a few hours first, then peeled them right off. Any bits of residual glue came off with a gasoline soaked rag.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 11:40 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Default Decal removal

Hi again.
I have used the eraser wheels tons of times.
They are really great tools.
But you must use caution. On some paints it will come off and leave a residue that is usually removed with thinner or other type cleaner.some times requires a little buff to regain the nice shine.
But some times it will damage paint. This is especially true on plastic painted parts. It will often damage the plastic itself. Then you really have problems.
So,like I mentioned before. Find a small area to try first.....see how it goes before you start on a large area.
I have seen several car,trucks and even a couple of tow behind RVs that ended up needing almost complete paint jobs. Because once you start on a large area and it goes bad....you quickly run out of options.
Tried to post a couple pics of the Van......I am good at paint and body.....not so good with computers and tech stuff.
Cheers
Eddie
Eraygunz is offline   Reply With Quote